Win or go home

Payday

I have had a ton of people talk to me saying how badly the coach did this or did that. Look, he is a first year head coach, mistakes are made under the best of circumstances. I have not been happy at times, but that is typical of a fan. Should we have beaten Maryland, MS, and Michigan? Probably. But here is the deal. This is the time of year where dents and dings are healing and your team should be healthier. We have had two weeks where we did not have major injuries. We are playing Purdue. If we are worthy of going to a bowl then we should have to beat Purdue. You win the games you are supposed to win and hope you steal one or two. This is still a game we are supposed to win. The past misses or mistakes are in the past. This team has to win because it is a game they should win. 

After saturday I believe we will be headed to a bowl and we have another chance to break the bowl game loss string and like it or not we can call that a breakthrough. There is a lot to be said for having everything on the line, losing is not an option. 

I've been very happy with how we've played lately.  I've been saying for weeks that we had just lost our swagger and once we had it back we'd be a completely different team.  The win against Illinois (no matter how bad they are) was huge for our confidence.  You could tell the losses were starting to wear on the guys, and that win breathed new life into them.  That was obvious in last week's dominant victory over Rutgers.

Coach Allen has the team playing well, and we've got to by flying high after last week's beat down.  I know Purdue has played better than expected, but I really think we're going to win this one.  We're going to come out with an intensity we haven't seen yet this year.  Lagow has played much better lately.  The play calling was greatly improved last week.  The defense is playing great.  I can't wait!

On 11/22/2017 at 8:02 PM, Payday said:

I have had a ton of people talk to me saying how badly the coach did this or did that. Look, he is a first year head coach, mistakes are made under the best of circumstances. I have not been happy at times, but that is typical of a fan. Should we have beaten Maryland, MS, and Michigan? Probably. But here is the deal. This is the time of year where dents and dings are healing and your team should be healthier. We have had two weeks where we did not have major injuries. We are playing Purdue. If we are worthy of going to a bowl then we should have to beat Purdue. You win the games you are supposed to win and hope you steal one or two. This is still a game we are supposed to win. The past misses or mistakes are in the past. This team has to win because it is a game they should win. 

After saturday I believe we will be headed to a bowl and we have another chance to break the bowl game loss string and like it or not we can call that a breakthrough. There is a lot to be said for having everything on the line, losing is not an option. 

Agreed on all counts. Winning a 5th straight Bucket Game to qualify for a 3rd straight bowl game is very significant and continues the progress our football program has been making. 

1 minute ago, HoosierFaithful said:

The offensive play calling was mind numbingly bad.  The wind could not have had that big of an effect -- especially with someone like Lagow having a big arm.  We needed to stretch the field more.  

Agree. What Richard brings to the table is arm strength and they never utilized it.  Big receivers and the coaches want to throw speed and timing routes.  Square peg meet round hole

On 11/25/2017 at 4:14 PM, HoosierFaithful said:

The offensive play calling was mind numbingly bad.  The wind could not have had that big of an effect -- especially with someone like Lagow having a big arm.  We needed to stretch the field more.  

On 11/25/2017 at 4:21 PM, hoopsta007 said:

Agree. What Richard brings to the table is arm strength and they never utilized it.  Big receivers and the coaches want to throw speed and timing routes.  Square peg meet round hole

On 11/25/2017 at 5:29 PM, rico said:

Just a pitiful game plan.

If I had to place one summary on our offense, one word, for the whole year, it would be conservative. I don’t remember any reverses, very little delayed draws or counter plays to slow aggressive defenses, no rb passes, just not much of anything. The early pick was not good, but the coaches waited to long to tell the offense to just go play. Late in the third they realized the conservative approach would not keep them close and they told the offense to just go sling it. If we had done that from the beginning, thrown it downfield, who knows. Hindsight is always 20/20. But one thing is certain, the university gave all of those kids a free education, and opportunity, and hopefully they all represent the university with character and class. Allen has character and class, I think, and if he stays the course the program can be built into something that wins and the people associated with the school can be proud of. Not sure you can always say that about some of the winning programs.

5 minutes ago, Payday said:

If I had to place one summary on our offense, one word, for the whole year, it would be conservative. I don’t remember any reverses, very little delayed draws or counter plays to slow aggressive defenses, no rb passes, just not much of anything. The early pick was not good, but the coaches waited to long to tell the offense to just go play. Late in the third they realized the conservative approach would not keep them close and they told the offense to just go sling it. If we had done that from the beginning, thrown it downfield, who knows. Hindsight is always 20/20. But one thing is certain, the university gave all of those kids a free education, and opportunity, and hopefully they all represent the university with character and class. Allen has character and class, I think, and if he stays the course the program can be built into something that wins and the people associated with the school can be proud of. Not sure you can always say that about some of the winning programs.

Conservative is a generous word.  But you touched on something there.  If the running game doesn't exist(which it hasn't), utilize the backs.  I don't think I saw a screen pass all year, but I could be wrong. 

Just now, rico said:

Conservative is a generous word.  But you touched on something there.  If the running game doesn't exist(which it hasn't), utilize the backs.  I don't think I saw a screen pass all year, but I could be wrong. 

I was trying to remember a reverse or screen...any of them. I don’t think they did, or if they did it was executed in an unrecognizable manner.

Archived