Around the B1G/NCAA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Maybe coaching is improving the team. I hope Archie turns it around because I won’t be able to stand watching back to back years of us finishing the year losing all the ground of improvements we built during the season. Watched highlights...they played very hard. Active hands and lots of energy.

Yes. I don't mind giving credit when credit is due.  Still.... Underwood is the meanest looking coach in the BIG.  Archie was mad the other night. But he never came close to the looks Underwood gives his team each and every game.  Honestly, I would have a hard time playing for Underwood.  But, I am going on 72 years of age, and I doubt Brad would want me playing for him...... LOL.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Yes. I don't mind giving credit when credit is due.  Still.... Underwood is the meanest looking coach in the BIG.  Archie was mad the other night. But he never came close to the looks Underwood gives his team each and every game.  Honestly, I would have a hard time playing for Underwood.  But, I am going on 72 years of age, and I doubt Brad would want me playing for him...... LOL.

Mile the thing you have going for you is that you don't look a day over 40!

Purdue smoking MSU with a nine-man rotation of Edwards (Junior, #118 recruit in his class), Cline (Junior #159), Eastern (Sophomore #69), Williams (Freshman #155), Eifert (Senior NR), Haarms (Sophomore #352) Wheeler (Sophomore #174), Hunter (Freshman #151), and Stefanovic (Sophomore #374).  But sure, IU is so lacking in talent and experience that you can’t expect them to be anything more than the worst team in the Big Ten.

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Purdue smoking MSU with a nine-man rotation of Edwards (Junior, #118 recruit in his class), Cline (Junior #159), Eastern (Sophomore #69), Williams (Freshman #155), Eifert (Senior NR), Haarms (Sophomore #352) Wheeler (Sophomore #174), Hunter (Freshman #151), and Stefanovic (Sophomore #374).  But sure, IU is so lacking in talent and experience that you can’t expect them to be anything more than the worst team in the Big Ten.

IU's problem isn't talent, and it isn't coaching: it's chemistry.

2 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Tell that to all the IU fans constantly going on about how “IU has no talent.”  And this Purdue team didn’t have any “chemistry” to begin the year either until Painter got them turned around.

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Tell that to all the IU fans constantly going on about how “IU has no talent.”  And this Purdue team didn’t have any “chemistry” to begin the year either until Painter got them turned around.

3/4 of our team is built to run and gun and play no defense, while the other fourth are Miller's recruits who are freshmen and transfers.  It's not surprising to me that some players seem to be unhappy with the MASSIVE style of play change that Miller brought with him, and, as a result, the team is having a lot of trouble lately, compounded by the injury situation. 

I also think a big problem for a few reasons is that Morgan and Langford probably take it upon themselves too much to get the team points, and the rest of the players probably don't take it upon themselves enough to score and are content to just let Romeo and Juwan drive into traffic every play.

Archie Miller is a good coach; this is a rough year.  I fully expect to see a few transfers at the end of the season, and over the next couple years to see marked improvement as he establishes his culture and gets players to fit his system and balance the roster.  He gets 4 years minimum. 

I get that people are frustrated, but for fans to call for Miller's job is ridiculous.

2 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

3/4 of our team is built to run and gun and play no defense, while the other fourth are Miller's recruits who are freshmen and transfers.  It's not surprising to me that some players seem to be unhappy with the MASSIVE style of play change that Miller brought with him, and, as a result, the team is having a lot of trouble lately, compounded by the injury situation. 

I also think a big problem for a few reasons is that Morgan and Langford probably take it upon themselves too much to get the team points, and the rest of the players probably don't take it upon themselves enough to score and are content to just let Romeo and Juwan drive into traffic every play.

Archie Miller is a good coach; this is a rough year.  I fully expect to see a few transfers at the end of the season, and over the next couple years to see marked improvement as he establishes his culture and gets players to fit his system and balance the roster.  He gets 4 years minimum. 

I get that people are frustrated, but for fans to call for Miller's job is ridiculous.

The only players currently on the roster who have experienced the change in style of play from Crean to Archie are Morgan, McRoberts, Green, and Davis.  Green is the only one that seems to have struggled with that, as Morgan has obviously adjusted very well, Davis has struggled to be effective due to injury, and McRoberts has severely regressed after playing pretty well in Archie’s system last year.

I agree that it’s ridiculous to be calling for Archie’s job this year, but it’s not ridiculous at all to be concerned about his ability to win at IU long-term with how absolutely terrible this team is right now.

Before people start the slobbering. Let's remember this. Purdue has a history of peaking in January and fading almost choking down the stretch. Let's pump the brakes on Painter being the greatest ever. Call today what it was. A very nice win controlled from start to finish with a veteran team, timely shots and really good defense. No more no less. 

7 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

The only players currently on the roster who have experienced the change in style of play from Crean to Archie are Morgan, McRoberts, Green, and Davis.  Green is the only one that seems to have struggled with that, as Morgan has obviously adjusted very well, Davis has struggled to be effective due to injury, and McRoberts has severely regressed after playing pretty well in Archie’s system last year.

I agree that it’s ridiculous to be calling for Archie’s job this year, but it’s not ridiculous at all to be concerned about his ability to win at IU long-term with how absolutely terrible this team is right now.

Honestly, I think that it is ridiculous, right now, to be concerned about him long-term considering all the factors. 

I get frustrated watching IU, too, but I can also take a deep breath, look at the situation with this year's team, it's roster construction, what system it's players were recruited to play in, other coaches' first few years at a new program, and Miller's history as a coach and conclude that once he establishes his culture and has juniors and seniors he's recruited to play in his system, we are more likely to be a really good team than we are to be a team like we are right now. 

Right now, we are a mishmash of players recruited to play in different styles, a few of which I believe are not buying in to the new style, and players who are injured.  It's only year 1.5; Miller's system and culture have barely had a chance to get established.

18 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

CAM didn't recruit Moore, Smith, and Durham. Although they've only played under Archie,  the disclosure about the APR problem suggests he may have been forced to keep players that do not have the variables he normally would seek out. Recall the discussions about Moore during his recruitment where he and his decision makers didn't want him playing the post, instead seeing him more in a Kevin Durant mold.  That has to be a tough mental transition to be asked to play a completely different role,  with a polar opposite view on offensive/defensive philosophy from the prior coach.

16 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Honestly, I think that it is ridiculous, right now, to be concerned about him long-term considering all the factors. 

I get frustrated watching IU, too, but I can also take a deep breath, look at the situation with this year's team, it's roster construction, what system it's players were recruited to play in, other coaches' first few years at a new program, and Miller's history as a coach and conclude that once he establishes his culture and has juniors and seniors he's recruited to play in his system, we are more likely to be a really good team than we are to be a team like we are right now. 

Right now, we are a mishmash of players recruited to play in different styles, a few of which I believe are not buying in to the new style, and players who are injured.  It's only year 1.5; Miller's system and culture have barely had a chance to get established.

Archie has turned a very solid roster, injuries and all, into the worst team in the Big Ten.  If that’s not concerning to you, I don’t know what would be.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Archie has turned a very solid roster, injuries and all, into the worst team in the Big Ten.  If that’s not concerning to you, I don’t know what would be.

It's not concerning to me outside of being frustrated for this year, and your hyperbole is wearing thin.

The roster WAS solid before injuries, suspensions, and player/family discontentment.  In my point of view, none of that is Miller's fault right now despite any protestations to the contrary.

If this was Miller's 4th year, I'd be with you, but I think the complaining and vitriol is at best absurd, and at worst casts a very negative light on our fanbase and program.  

This site is tame, by the way.  Lot of IU fans out there making themselves look like jerks.

5 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

CAM didn't recruit Moore, Smith, and Durham. Although they've only played under Archie,  the disclosure about the APR problem suggests he may have been forced to keep players that do not have the variables he normally would seek out. Recall the discussions about Moore during his recruitment where he and his decision makers didn't want him playing the post, instead seeing him more in a Kevin Durant mold.  That has to be a tough mental transition to be asked to play a completely different role,  with a polar opposite view on offensive/defensive philosophy from the prior coach.

How is the role Moore is currently being asked to play “completely different” than the role he was initially recruited for?  Archie’s system isn’t designed for a true post player, it’s designed for athletes with length that can move laterally and guard multiple positions, which is exactly the type of player that Moore is/should be.

47 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Before people start the slobbering. Let's remember this. Purdue has a history of peaking in January and fading almost choking down the stretch. Let's pump the brakes on Painter being the greatest ever. Call today what it was. A very nice win controlled from start to finish with a veteran team, timely shots and really good defense. No more no less. 

That’s more than just a “nice win”. Also don’t downplay “controlling it from start to finish” when IU has played a full 40 min game just once this year. 

I wouldn’t say Purdue is any more veteran than IU either. This year looks to be pretty much over, but there are many reasons to be questioning if Archie is the man for the job

3 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

It's not concerning to me outside of being frustrated for this year, and your hyperbole is wearing thin.

The roster WAS solid before injuries, suspensions, and player/family discontentment.  In my point of view, none of that is Miller's fault right now despite any protestations to the contrary.

If this was Miller's 4th year, I'd be with you, but I think the complaining and vitriol is at best absurd, and at worst casts a very negative light on our fanbase and program.  

This site is tame, by the way.  Lot of IU fans out there making themselves look like jerks.

The hyperbole regarding how little Archie has to work with is wearing thin.  You have every right to choose to believe that nothing happening right now is Archie’s fault, but I disagree.  He needs a chance to build his program, but the fact of the matter is, he’s not doing a good job with this team.

I think it’s absurd to absolve a coach of all criticism until his fourth year.  The hysteria on social media hysteria is out of control and harmful to the program, but I don’t see anything wrong with holding Archie accountable for the absolute dumpster fire this season has become, as long as it’s done in a reasonable and respectful way.

51 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Purdue is a veteran team?

1 hour ago, rogue3542 said:

Maybe...I would say it’s perimeter shooting plain and simple. They have nobody to open the floor up. We may hit 3 or 4 three pointers a game and maybe 4 or 5 jumpers beyond 15ft. Morgan can score almost at will in the paint but Smith and now Romeo have no room to drive because teams sag off daring us to hit shots. Our offense is predictable and lifeless. The reason the chemistry is gone is because teams are taking away the drive. Combine that with some behind the scene issues with Green and maybe even Smith..we’ll I’m waiting for Archie to make adjustments but I’m just not seeing it yet.

Archived