Around the B1G/NCAA

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think coaches think they have to micro manage every possession and don't let the players just go out and play.  I hate when we are going down the court and our PG looks over to the side line for a play because I feel they should learn this in practice.  

This version of IU is garbage when they walk up the court and look to the bench for a play.  That's how you go down 17-0.  

I may quit watching tonight if I see that crap.  

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone remembers the 87 title game but I remember the semifinals beating UNLV. That was exciting basketball! Today it’s about running offenses to showcase a 5* kid to get him to the NBA. Villanova last year was the closest thing we’ve seen to days gone past. The era Scott was describing was my favorite...usually a big surrounded by 4 shooters....loved it!

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Everyone remembers the 87 title game but I remember the semifinals beating UNLV. That was exciting basketball! Today it’s about running offenses to showcase a 5* kid to get him to the NBA. Villanova last year was the closest thing we’ve seen to days gone past. The era Scott was describing was my favorite...usually a big surrounded by 4 shooters....loved it!

Loved the game as well.  Every “expert” said IU should slow UNLV down to just have a chance. Knight did just the opposite probably to prove a point to the said “experts”. Nobody outside of Indiana gave them a chance.  Enjoying this trip down memory lane.

13 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Loved the game as well.  Every “expert” said IU should slow UNLV down to just have a chance. Knight did just the opposite probably to prove a point to the said “experts”. Nobody outside of Indiana gave them a chance.  Enjoying this trip down memory lane.

I think it is why some of us IU fans can get so irritated watching us lose the same way 6 games in a row. I’m not giving up on Archie but Knight would adapt...game plan..and win many many games with lesser talent and could really take a team and coach them up and make adjustments. I hope Archie can make the necessary changes to get us a W. It isn’t fair to compare many coaches to Knight...that’s like comparing nfl coaches to Belicheck but I hope what Knight saw in Archie shows up soon.

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think it is why some of us IU fans can get so irritated watching us lose the same way 6 games in a row. I’m not giving up on Archie but Knight would adapt...game plan..and win many many games with lesser talent and could really take a team and coach them up and make adjustments. I hope Archie can make the necessary changes to get us a W. It isn’t fair to compare many coaches to Knight...that’s like comparing nfl coaches to Belicheck but I hope what Knight saw in Archie shows up soon.

dg... you are a great member of this extraordinary community known as Hoosier Sports Nation.  Not much I can disagree with you in the past.  However, in this case I will take exception with you.  The UNLV game was a "one off".  Knight was criticized, either rightfully or wrongfully, for his unwillingness to change his ways.

He was steadfast in not changing from his man to man defense :

Bob Knight: The Complete Guide to Man-to-Man Defense

As much as he was devoted to his motion offense :

Bob Knight: The Complete Guide to Motion Offense

Please don't take this personally.  And I am not saying that what Knight believed in, did not win him a ton of games.  However, as I said the UNLV game was a "one off".. and there were many who thought Knight was one who could have, and should have changed things up more than he did.

8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

dg... you are a great member of this extraordinary community known as Hoosier Sports Nation.  Not much I can disagree with you in the past.  However, in this case I will take exception with you.  The UNLV game was a "one off".  Knight was criticized, either rightfully or wrongfully, for his unwillingness to change his ways.

Please don't take this personally.  And I am not saying that what Knight believed in, did not win him a ton of games.  However, as I said the UNLV game was a "one off".. and there were many who thought Knight was one who could have, and should have changed things up more than he did.

Knight was also famous for, no matter how bad things were at the start of the game, he would not call a Time Out! He expected his teams to execute!

1 minute ago, Drroogh said:

Knight was also famous for, no matter how bad things were at the start of the game, he would not call a Time Out! He expected his teams to execute!

You are exactly right. We talked more or less about this in another thread.... or maybe it was this one.  He and Wooden, believed teaching should be done in practice. And if their players had been taught correctly, and learned.... there is no need to call a time out... as the players should know what to do in any given situation.

1 hour ago, milehiiu said:

I remember the playing through those runs. I also remember Knight opening the offense for AJ Guyton and Isiah Thomas letting them free lance a little more. Adapted to the 3pt line when he wasnt for it. Laying off guys and doubling on certain players in the post. He had his man to man and his motion offense but he would make  adjustments inside the parameters of those concepts was all I was saying.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Well they have played without him for a month so they are used to playing without him.

Yes and they have looked good but you could see cracks in the armor and Purdue exposed them. As of now Michigan moves back ahead because I felt with Langford back MSU would beat them...as of now..hard to see it.

15 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yes. RMK was like want to run let's run. Coaches that are worth anything can play multiple ways.the players understood how to play and now we have 1 style and at this moment it sucks.

Butler lost by 18 poinTs last night at home ! The dogs are now 12&10 now !Why this post ? Misery loves company , I guess !vbg( p.s. ) imho there are two reasons why Michigan State lost to turdue ! #1 . They didn't have Josh Langford and #2. The game was played at Hacky smacky arena . I am so sure of this , if MSU meets turdue in the Big Ten post season tournament , MSU wil BEAT those fartheads , even without Langford !!!!!!

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

No worries. Boiler fan is logged on and ready to say blah blah blah. I'll say this. Purdue fans can go ahead and plan March 23 or after events. Much like 4 of the last 6 years. Porky has his team winning early. Come March? Done. 

Probably won't say a word about that godawful no-call at the end of regulation, or the same ref blowing another call in their favor in OT. What a joke.

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Probably won't say a word about that godawful no-call at the end of regulation, or the same ref blowing another call in their favor in OT. What a joke.

It was a horrible no- call.  So.... they go to the review the play, and call the ball for PU..... yet don't see/ or can't call the foul ?  Give me a break. 

2 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

That was an awful missed call at the end of regulation. Which call are you talking about in overtime? The foul against Carsen? He hit the 3 anyway so it didn’t matter that much. They missed a blatant charge earlier in the game when it was called a block against Carsen. 

Not going to comment on all of the calls Penn State received earlier in the game?   41 FT’s is laughable. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

No worries. Boiler fan is logged on and ready to say blah blah blah. I'll say this. Purdue fans can go ahead and plan March 23 or after events. Much like 4 of the last 6 years. Porky has his team winning early. Come March? Done. 

Purdue escaped tonight no doubt. The last 3 games that Purdue has played at Penn State have gone to overtime so not really too surprised it happened again tonight. 

Thanks for the planning advice though. I’ll gladly take winning a few games in the tournament after losing 4 starters from a 30 win team. 

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

It was a horrible no- call.  So.... they go to the review the play, and call the ball for PU..... yet don't see/ or can't call the foul ?  Give me a break. 

Agree that was bad but Penn State benefitted overall from the officials tonight. Purdue had some terrible calls go against them too. 

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

Agree that was bad but Penn State benefitted overall from the officials tonight. Purdue had some terrible calls go against them too. 

Yeah. But you don't understand.  IU fans wanted PSU to win.   LOL

After being down 17, it was a heck of a comeback by PSU. Mostly done by good D.  I doubt that IU, right now would have been able to come back from 17 down, to force an overtime.

Archived