Around the B1G/NCAA

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I respectfully disagree.  When have we ever seen the likes of Northwestern or even Penn State have the ability to knock off any other team in the BIG ?  And that's not even considering the two newbies to the BIG.  Maryland and Rutgers.

And since you referred to my age..... there was a time when Wisconsin was the laughing stock of the BIG.... and IU ran a series of wins against them that lasted for years.

The bottom might be better but the top is a lot weaker so it is a lot more parity but that does not mean that the conference is stronger this year than it ever has.  I remember UW ad NW being laughing stocks as well but to me when you look at the conference strengths you look at how great the top of the league and not how the bottom of the league is.  That is why I still think the ACC is better than the big ten is that the top of their league is way stronger than the big ten.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Seriously because the big ten is not even close to what it was from 86-93.  Are we just getting so use to mediocrity when it comes to college basketball we make it out to be strong.

There is a difference between mediocrity and balance.  There is no give mes in the B1G this year.  None, nada, zilch.  The conference beats the hell out of each other more than what I have ever witnessed in my lifetime.  Top to bottom, this is the best I have ever seen the conference.  You can haggle about all day long, but it will fall on my deaf ears.

Just now, IU Scott said:

The bottom might be better but the top is a lot weaker so it is a lot more parity but that does not mean that the conference is stronger this year than it ever has.

Love ya Scott.  Take a look at the National Rankings for the top of the BIG.  Personally, I feel any team in the BIG is capable of beating any other team in the BIG this year. Heck, besides IU during the midst of a horrendous skid knocked off MSU at their home... as far as I am concerned, even Nebraska is capable of beating any other team in the BIG... home or away.

Just now, rico said:

There is a difference between mediocrity and balance.  There is no give mes in the B1G this year.  None, nada, zilch.  The conference beats the hell out of each other more than what I have ever witnessed in my lifetime.  Top to bottom, this is the best I have ever seen the conference.  You can haggle about all day long, but it will fall on my deaf ears.

The difference I see is that has happened because the top of the conference is way weaker than it use to.  Just because it has parity does not mean it is stronger just more mediocrity in my opinion.  Yes there is no gimme's and it makes it interesting but not stronger.

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

Love ya Scott.  Take a look at the National Rankings for the top of the BIG.  Personally, I feel any team in the BIG is capable of beating any other team in the BIG this year. Heck, besides IU during the midst of a horrendous skid knocked off MSU at their home... as far as I am concerned, even Nebraska is capable of beating any other team in the BIG... home or away.

I agree that any team can beat any other team but that is because of mediocrity and not because all the teams are really good.  Also if you just look at the teams at the top of the ratings back when I said and compare them to the top ranked teams today it is not even close so you are comparing apples to oranges.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The difference I see is that has happened because the top of the conference is way weaker than it use to.  Just because it has parity does not mean it is stronger just more mediocrity in my opinion.  Yes there is no gimme's and it makes it interesting but not stronger.

You live in your world, I will live in reality.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I agree that any team can beat any other team but that is because of mediocrity and not because all the teams are really good.

Well tell that to the "experts" who have three BIG schools ranked 10,11, 12....plus one at 23.

Those teams most likely would be ranked even higher, if the BIG was not so balanced this season.

Just now, milehiiu said:

Well tell that to the "experts" who have three BIG schools ranked 10,11, 12....plus one at 23.

Those teams most likely would be ranked even higher, if the BIG was not so balanced this season.

So how does that make it a great conference since we have no top 10 teams.  ACC has 3 of the top 10 teams in the country so to me that makes them a better conference.  Also at first my argument was not who has the better conference but just point out teams like IU or OS does not deserve to be n consideration for the tournament with a losing conference record.  I just don't think teams that can not be competitive in conference should get into the tournament over teams in mid major conference who had a very good all year but have one bad game in their conference tournament.

Just now, rico said:

Which very easily could happen......ya know because the conference is mediocre!  LOL

Where did I say UM or MSU was mediocre so stop putting words in my mouth.  I said it is not as strong as I have ever seen it and that is true in my opinion. I said teams outside the top 5 in the conference is mediocre at best and just because teams can beat each other up does not mean it is a strong conference just even.

34 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Where did I say UM or MSU was mediocre so stop putting words in my mouth.  I said it is not as strong as I have ever seen it and that is true in my opinion. I said teams outside the top 5 in the conference is mediocre at best and just because teams can beat each other up does not mean it is a strong conference just even.

Whatever Scott.  Continue to live in your reality.  I choose not to be in it.

6 minutes ago, rico said:

hWhatever Scott.  Continue to live in your reality.  I choose not to be in it.

If you use the word the most balance then I would agree but were I disagree when the word was the strongest.  Just looked at the 89 final rankings and the big ten had 4 of the top 14 in the country that year.  UI was 3rd, IU 6th, UM 8th and Iowa 14th and we had two teams in the final four with UM winning it all.  I guess I must be stupid to think that is stronger than what we have seen this year.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

So how does that make it a great conference since we have no top 10 teams.  ACC has 3 of the top 10 teams in the country so to me that makes them a better conference.

7-7 in this year's challenge. There was one top 3 matchup.  Michigan won that at home against UNC.  Ordinarily, I would call that a wash.  Since Michigan ran them out of the gym, it's easy to see a favorite there.  I am not saying one conference is superior based on one matchup.  Given the facts, it's hard to say the ACC is superior looking at AP rankings.

You can say one is superior and call it an opinion.  You can also have the opinion the sky is not blue.

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Here’s a good question... Is the conference “stronger” now than it was when IU won it in ‘12-‘13?  Or is it just more “balanced”?

The bottom feeders that year did very little.  But the conference was strong...but not as balanced.  The conference is tougher this year than that, but that was a good year for the B1G.  

15 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Kidding aside. Maybe it's just me but doesn't Penn St actually win in Champaign often? It's one of those rare stats no one believes. 

Yeah, started back in 2006 when Rich McBride hit a 3 at the buzzer that would have won the game,  but clock was reviewed and it got waived off. Then Talor Battle tortured us for a couple years. That awful 38-33 loss was to PSU, too. Weber should have been fired immediately after that game.

14 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Cat got his tongue. 

And your eyes.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

We are not getting in with 15 losses, regardless of how many wins we have.  An at-large has never got in with more than 14.  We have 14 now which means we cant lose again which means we must win the BTT.

Bama and Vandy both got in with 15 losses. But I agree IU is done, they are like my Illini, have to win the BTT to get in.

Archived