Around the B1G/NCAA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unreal ending to Ole Miss/Tennessee. Ref missed UT player taking 4 steps on shot to take lead, refs called a charge on Ole Miss with 3 seconds to go, Kermit Davis lost his jacket and was given a T and Ole Miss crowd showered floor with drinks, cups and actually hit a couple UT players with stuff. 

Fans are just tired of officials. Don't think the level of anger with officials has ever been this high.

32 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Unreal ending to Ole Miss/Tennessee. Ref missed UT player taking 4 steps on shot to take lead, refs called a charge on Ole Miss with 3 seconds to go, Kermit Davis lost his jacket and was given a T and Ole Miss crowd showered floor with drinks, cups and actually hit a couple UT players with stuff. 

Fans are just tired of officials. Don't think the level of anger with officials has ever been this high.

I didn't really see the problem with either the no call (he really only takes two steps on the drive, although it looks like more), and it was a pretty clear offensive foul on the other end. Here's a link to watch the two plays, including slo mo of the charging call. IMO, refs got both calls right.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/26098784/ole-miss-fans-protest-last-second-call-vols-win

10 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Illinois leading Purdue 33-32 at the half. 

I thought I saw on my phone the score was 48-48 at one point. Illinois must have ran out of gas or Purdue decided to wake up. Saw the box score. Not one Illinois player in double figures. Probably happens more often but just looked weird.

11 hours ago, milehiiu said:

It was just last week, I was saying on this great forum, that, as far as I was concerned, this season's BIG is the best I have ever seen from top to bottom.  Penn State's dominant win over Maryland , Wednesday night.... proved my point. 

Still could be that Maryland is not that good and the top of the conference is not that strong.  Like I said earlier if you would have used the word the most balance I would agree but not the strongest.  Like my example of  89 when in the final poll the big ten had 4 of the top 14 in the country and had two teams make the final four and UM winning it all.  Remember that is 4 out of the 10 big ten teams being in the top 14 in the country.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

The ref did call the travel but said he did not call it until the clock was at zero.  It was obvious when the player traveled there were like .9 on the clock but they go by when the ref called the travel.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The ref did call the travel but said he did not call it until the clock was at zero.  It was obvious when the player traveled there were like .9 on the clock but they go by when the ref called the travel.

Thanks. Just saw the highlights this morning and didn't hear that explanation. Makes more sense now. 

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Still could be that Maryland is not that good and the top of the conference is not that strong.  Like I said earlier if you would have used the word the most balance I would agree but not the strongest.  Like my example of  89 when in the final poll the big ten had 4 of the top 14 in the country and had two teams make the final four and UM winning it all.  Remember that is 4 out of the 10 big ten teams being in the top 14 in the country.

I paid special attention to not name, names.  It was Rico who mentioned your name.  However, months back I did use the term...most balanced I could ever recall.  It was a completely different thread. To which some took exception to me for using that term too.  Oh, well.  I will leave for the time being with this.  As evidenced by not only by Penn States' win over Maryland, but also IU's wins over Michigan State and Wisconsin....this is one year, that I believe any B!G team is capable of beating any other B1G team.  No automatic wins in conference this year, IMHO. 

13 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Plus got a $10K fine levied on Iowa.

Fran has a long, long history of losing his temper.  And by the way, this is not the first time he has been suspended

McCaffery, Barta Discuss Suspension - Jan. 7, 2014

Plenty of internal "stuff" going on at Iowa. Gary Dolphin suspended for season for King Kong comment. Fran was already ticked at Dolphin for the hot mic incident earlier this year. AD steps in and suspends Fran right away for 2 games. It's amazing to me when a school can have a gold standard program like they do in football....and just can't seem to replicate or get out of their own way like they do in hoops. 

To me I like Fran....but I could see him hitting the road soon. 

15 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Do refs ever get suspended?  I know Teddy Valentine got in trouble a few years back.  But, refs can make blatantly incorrect calls all the time, but it's the coach that gets in trouble for it when call it like they see it in public.  Now, maybe Fran's choice of language was inappropriate.  But, I think coaches should have a right to speak their mind.  With everything being on film these days, it's easy enough to determine whether a coach is just deflecting blame, or if the officiating was, in fact, substandard.

Just a quick follow up. The official (Steve McJunkins) that Fran went after on Tuesday night was on the crew that the A10 publically reprimanded on Monday night after they messed up the clock in final seconds in Lasalle/St Bonny game. I admit it didn't hit me at first but McJunkins is the guy who was on the crew who screwed us at Penn St in 2016. Fran being from Philly maybe he goes way back with this guy. No way to verify this stat but someone posted on twitter that Iowa is 6-27 when McJunkins officiates. 

42 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I think Maryland just got caught looking ahead to Michigan on Saturday, which is understandable from a team as young as they are. Turgeon isn't exactly the best game coach, either, so it's possible they just got outcoached. Probably a combo of both. 

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Penn St is playing pretty well. After losing 10 straight to start B10 play, they've won 5 of 7 including beating Michigan and Maryland.

I watched them last night and was pretty impressed. Really wouldn't want to draw them in the 1st round of the BTT

Yep. And what's weird is the same comment could be said about Illinois 10 days ago. Since? Underwood apparently sucks again. haha....trying to predict the effort/execution of kids each night has to be painful for some of these coaches. Yes they get paid very well to deal with it but still. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I thought I saw on my phone the score was 48-48 at one point. Illinois must have ran out of gas or Purdue decided to wake up. Saw the box score. Not one Illinois player in double figures. Probably happens more often but just looked weird.

It felt like a little bit of both.  Purdue shored up the defensive rebounding and closed out the game well.  Too many turnovers and offensive rebounds given up earlier in the game.

Tough match up for Giorgi against Haarms, he was pretty much a non-factor the whole game. We somehow led at the half because we made some 3 pointers and actually shot more FTs than Purdue. Unsurprisingly, neither of those 2 trends continued in the second half and Purdue just pulled away in the last 10 min.

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I tend to agree with you Scott. I think the top of the conference has had much better years. I would actually call the top of the conference below average. These are not great MSU (though injuries are a factor), Michigan or Purdue teams. All three have had better teams even in the recent past. 

Even watching the IU game the other night I was thinking, 'how is this Wisconsin team 11-5 (at the time) in conference, they are not that good'. Yes, the Big Ten is one of the best conferences this year, but it's more because of the depth of the conference. The middle/bottom is very tough and those teams are much better than the middle/bottom of a Power 5/6 conference typically is.

But, the top of the conference isn't great. 

8 hours ago, rico said:

Michigan crushes Nebraska...is Miles done?

I really think so this time. Dude's been on the hot seat for 3 years but after another rough year with what 4 seniors? 7 seasons 1 tourney birth. Yes I know Copeland derailed the season but probably good time to go. Especially  after his millionaire comment. Not a good way to talk when fan base is rural, blue collar, farmers,etc....

Had to do a double take this morning. Cal beats Washington. Is Pac 10 trying to be the worst possible conference in football and basketball for a single year ever? For those that don't know. Cal is bad. Real bad. Rutgers would beat them by 40 bad. 

Washington loses and clinches conference title and won't be ranked after this loss. Not kidding when i say this. PAC deserves 1 bid for tourney. Just 1. Spare me the Arizona St stuff too. Every conference win should be lowered by 20-30% of it's actual impact because that conference is so bad in hoops. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Had to do a double take this morning. Cal beats Washington. Is Pac 10 trying to be the worst possible conference in football and basketball for a single year ever? For those that don't know. Cal is bad. Real bad. Rutgers would beat them by 40 bad. 

Washington loses and clinches conference title and won't be ranked after this loss. Not kidding when i say this. PAC deserves 1 bid for tourney. Just 1. Spare me the Arizona St stuff too. Every conference win should be lowered by 20-30% of it's actual impact because that conference is so bad in hoops. 

I said this earlier in the year that I thought the PAC was a 1 bid league.  Terrible loss for the Huskies.

Not to be picky, or take away from your main point  But, Rutgers is ahead of us in the standings,  

Charles Mathews out for Michigan with "severe ligament damage" in his ankle.

Some of the injury bug that hit us earlier in the season now affecting other teams.

If he is out for good, UM becomes a much less deep team.

With Ward and Langford out for MSU, and now possibly McQuaid, I don't see any B1G team making a deep run in the tournament.

22 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Not to be picky, or take away from your main point  But, Rutgers is ahead of us in the standings,  

Yep. Meant Rutgers who has 43 conference wins over the last 12 seasons before this year. Guess I should have qualified more. 

6 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Charles Mathews out for Michigan with "severe ligament damage" in his ankle.

Some of the injury bug that hit us earlier in the season now affecting other teams.

If he is out for good, UM becomes a much less deep team.

With Ward and Langford out for MSU, and now possibly McQuaid, I don't see any B1G team making a deep run in the tournament.

Missed the McQuaid news yesterday. Thanks! Glad this one is on Fox tomorrow. If not Izzo would have his buddies at ESPN crying about all the injuries nonstop. Gus will bring it up but he'll counter with the list of injuries we have very quickly....so will Jackson. Perfect time to get a win tomorrow. 

Archived