Around the B1G/NCAA

Carsen is a very talented player, I saw that when he was a frosh, but I question his basketball IQ.  Last night was a perfect example of that.  You would have to think at some point he had to realize it just wasn't gonna be his night but yet kept shooting the ball.  All the while Cline was on fire.  But I will say Haarms didn't help the cause either.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, rico said:

Carsen is a very talented player, I saw that when he was a frosh, but I question his basketball IQ.  Last night was a perfect example of that.  You would have to think at some point he had to realize it just wasn't gonna be his night but yet kept shooting the ball.  All the while Cline was on fire.  But I will say Haarms didn't help the cause either.

Agreed. That was Haarms first bad game in awhile and it didn’t help that Purdue’s bench scored literally 0 points. Won’t win many games when your bench collectively  scores a big fat goose egg. 

8 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Agreed. That was Haarms first bad game in awhile and it didn’t help that Purdue’s bench scored literally 0 points. Won’t win many games when your bench collectively  scores a big fat goose egg. 

Terrible game for Haarms...but it is hard for the bench to score when they hardly see any action.  Purdue pretty much went with the starting 5 the entire way.  

13 minutes ago, rico said:

Terrible game for Haarms...but it is hard for the bench to score when they hardly see any action.  Purdue pretty much went with the starting 5 the entire way.  

Well they tried with Williams but he had like 4 fouls in only about 3 or 4 minutes of action so that clearly didn't work well.

11 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Well they tried with Williams but he had like 4 fouls in only about 3 or 4 minutes of action so that clearly didn't work well.

Well evidently the entire bench didn't work.  None of them saw considerable PT.

Well, after the first day in my life where I had to simultaneously pull for Purdue and Kentucky to win, I think I've recovered. Had to bathe in bleach (clean outside), mixed up an ExLax-ipicac cocktail (clean inside), burned the clothes I wore, did a factory reset on the TV and went to confession and said my 10 Hail McCrackens as penance.

This bubble stuff is hard. Let's just win next year.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Carsen seems like a good player, fine kid. As we said last month in this thread or another...I'll take Yogi all day long. You can't keep having these type of games. 7-31? That means not only do you suck at shooting.....but you continue to think by shooting more it's the best option. Shows honestly some pretty extreme selfishness. Why not feed Cline? Or anyone besides you at that point.

3/16, 6/18, 6/16, 4/19, 6-20, 4-24, 8-27, 3-16, 7-31.....9 games. Not some random stat where I pull 3 games to highlight my point. This is 9 games. Yep. I'll take Yogi all day long. 

PS-Kudos to Hairms for not swinging on idiot fan running straight up to his face with double barrel solute. It's going to happen eventually somewhere.

Ironically, yesterday he was named one of the 5 finalists for the Cousy award given to the best SG in the country this year.

25 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Ironically, yesterday he was named one of the 5 finalists for the Cousy award given to the best SG in the country this year.

I think you are mistaken.  The Bob Cousy award goes to the country's top point guard.  Now the Jerry West award goes to the country's best shooting guard...and I do believe that Carsen won it last year.  But I could be wrong on all accounts.

Yes we needed some of these mid of the pack major conference teams to lose but I feel like we need to have all the mid major favorites to win their conference tournaments.  What will hurt us more in getting into the tournament is if Buffalo, Wofford and Gonzaga and Belmont lose in their conference tournament

18 minutes ago, rico said:

I think you are mistaken.  The Bob Cousy award goes to the country's top point guard.  Now the Jerry West award goes to the country's best shooting guard...and I do believe that Carsen won it last year.  But I could be wrong on all accounts.

When is up for the West award I do believe 

8 minutes ago, rico said:

You are right. It is the West award. Regardless of what happened last year, with the shooting numbers Seeking posted earlier, it is still ironic that he is in the final 5 this year. No way he should win it a second time.

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

You are right. It is the West award. Regardless of what happened last year, with the shooting numbers Seeking posted earlier, it is still ironic that he is in the final 5 this year. No way he should win it a second time.

Perhaps because he won it last year they named him a finalist this year?  I just got to believe there are better SG's out there.  

20 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

If he wins it I am in line to become the next Pope and I am not Catholic. 

7 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

If he wins it I am in line to become the next Pope and I am not Catholic. 

I looked up the list......Barrett from Duke, Guy from UVA, a kid from Texas Tech, the kid from Hofstra that is close to the top of ppg, and Carsen.

Carson shouldn't even be a finalist. Very streaky and inefficient this year. No surprise that he took  a step backwards without last years seniors to draw attention away from him.

He should stay in school. A bounce back year would help his chances professionally.

13 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Carson shouldn't even be a finalist. Very streaky and inefficient this year. No surprise that he took  a step backwards without last years seniors to draw attention away from him.

He should stay in school. A bounce back year would help his chances professionally.

I just wonder how much he could truly improve his draft stock though.  I don't think he'd ever be a top half of the first round kind of guy due to his physical limitations.  I think his best bet is tail-end of the first round or early second round.  Would it really change his position that much if he comes back next year?  Unless he somehow improved his assist numbers significantly which isn't likely.  To me, he's one of those guys that "is what he is" at this point in time.  One more year of school likely wouldn't change that.

10 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

See this is the thing.  He draws attention this year from opponents but doesn't use it to the advantage of the team.  Low basketball IQ.  The Boilers have weapons...but Carsen does't utilize them.  Thus his production suffers.

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I just wonder how much he could truly improve his draft stock though.  I don't think he'd ever be a top half of the first round kind of guy due to his physical limitations.  I think his best bet is tail-end of the first round or early second round.  Would it really change his position that much if he comes back next year?  Unless he somehow improved his assist numbers significantly which isn't likely.  To me, he's one of those guys that "is what he is" at this point in time.  One more year of school likely wouldn't change that. 

Yogi Ferrell as a junior vs Yogi Ferrell as a senior.  Yogi was always a natural point, but he never had the level of true command he did as a senior.  Amped his defense up immensely too. 

Ultimately didn't do anything for his draft stock, but that extra year probably helped him in terms of being able to stick in the NBA. 

40 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Yogi Ferrell as a junior vs Yogi Ferrell as a senior.  Yogi was always a natural point, but he never had the level of true command he did as a senior.  Amped his defense up immensely too. 

Ultimately didn't do anything for his draft stock, but that extra year probably helped him in terms of being able to stick in the NBA. 

I don't disagree as I remember Yogi's improvement there.  It's just always going to be tough for a ~6'0" guard to be a legit lottery guy unless they are freakish.  Yogi and Carsen were always very different players but I could see Carsen sticking around if he feels like he can improve his game more.  I'd say as of now, there's maybe a 25% chance he stays would be my guess.

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I don't disagree as I remember Yogi's improvement there.  It's just always going to be tough for a ~6'0" guard to be a legit lottery guy unless they are freakish.  Yogi and Carsen were always very different players but I could see Carsen sticking around if he feels like he can improve his game more.  I'd say as of now, there's maybe a 25% chance he stays would be my guess.

If he goes, he will end up like Blackmon.  The main thing is will Carsen have his degree in hand if he leaves?

Archived