Around the B1G/NCAA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No clue what Iowa is going to do with Fran McCaffery. You can't keep melting down year after year down the stretch. Speaking of melting down. Penn St has now beat Illinois 6 times in a row.

McCaffery, Miles, Pitino, Underwood, Collins, Chambers....one of these years the Big 10 is going to have 5-6 jobs open at the same time. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Depending on who you believe it sounds like Shaka Smart might be done at Texas. Pretty fast 4 years. Guess it doesn't help that Beard is winning conf titles at Tech in his 3rd year. 

I, too, have been seeing the rumors.  Now if he does indeed get shown door, it will be interesting to see who the Horns target.

4 minutes ago, rico said:

I, too, have been seeing the rumors.  Now if he does indeed get shown door, it will be interesting to see who the Horns target.

They wouldn't even have to leave their state to find 3 pretty good replacements....but I think Sampson, Beard, and Dixon are entrenched at their schools. I could see big names be floated but how many guys who are big time will want to be second fiddle or even third fiddle behind football and spring football. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

They wouldn't even have to leave their state to find 3 pretty good replacements....but I think Sampson, Beard, and Dixon are entrenched at their schools. I could see big names be floated but how many guys who are big time will want to be second fiddle or even third fiddle behind football and spring football. 

You left out Drew!  LOL

I don't think they would go after the "state" guys, but you never know.  I wonder about Gregg Marshall?  Chris Collins?  Wojo?  The usual suspects.  

10 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

That's the one that probably stings for Texas.  Let a guy go, he's unemployed for less than a month, and he's producing similar results in a harder conference.  Oops. 

Barnes took Texas to the NCAA in 16 of 17 seasons, and they fire him. He landed guys like Durant, among others, and they fired him. He's now obviously doing very well at Tenn. Yes, it was a stupid move. 

It was a variation on what IU did with Crean -- but was far less justified -- the idea being to bring in someone who would take UT to the Finals and win championships. So they bring in Shaka, who is a good coach and had his teams fighting in the NCAA tourney, but was certainly not proven at a Big 12 level, and as of now, it has appeared to have backfired in a big way. 

25 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Barnes took Texas to the NCAA in 16 of 17 seasons, and they fire him. He landed guys like Durant, among others, and they fired him. He's now obviously doing very well at Tenn. Yes, it was a stupid move. 

It was a variation on what IU did with Crean -- but was far less justified -- the idea being to bring in someone who would take UT to the Finals and win championships. So they bring in Shaka, who is a good coach and had his teams fighting in the NCAA tourney, but was certainly not proven at a Big 12 level, and as of now, it has appeared to have backfired in a big way. 

Hook 'em Horns!!!!!!

Archived