Around the B1G/NCAA

31 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Not good for IU’s chances of regaining a winning record against Nebraska since they joined the conference.

It will take him a couple of  years but The Mayor might as well be called Mr. Juco. He'll bring in anyone. That was his MO at Iowa St. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

It will take him a couple of  years but The Mayor might as well be called Mr. Juco. He'll bring in anyone. That was his MO at Iowa St. 

Might not take as long as you think... Guy’s a very solid coach, and now he’s coming back to college with the NBA attached to his name.  Will be interesting to see if he turns Nebraska into Transfer U again.  Ironically, that’s pretty much what they were this season.

At first glance, I thought "no way Hoiberg goes to Nebraska. Dead end job at a football school with no recruiting base,  and he can get a bigger gig like UCLA or another pro job"

But I didn't know he was born in Lincoln (although he played high school ball in Ames, Iowa). 

Maybe...and if he does, the guy can coach.

7 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Even losing to Nova in the second round I’d be happy with the season Purdue had. 

Let's be real, Purdue backed their way into a split BTT title and beat IU twice; this season is a success if you lose by 60 in the first round by Purdue standards. 

29 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Let's be real, Purdue backed their way into a split BTT title and beat IU twice; this season is a success if you lose by 60 in the first round by Purdue standards. 

I’ll take “backing into a split B1G title” in a rebuilding year any day of the week. Beating IU is always a plus (even though lately it’s been almost a sure thing) but I’d easily trade that for a solid tournament run. Not sure why you seem to be discounting what Purdue did in conference play this year. I think even the most biased observers wouldn’t claim that Purdue backed into anything. 

33 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I’ll take “backing into a split B1G title” in a rebuilding year any day of the week. Beating IU is always a plus (even though lately it’s been almost a sure thing) but I’d easily trade that for a solid tournament run. Not sure why you seem to be discounting what Purdue did in conference play this year. I think even the most biased observers wouldn’t claim that Purdue backed into anything. 

Having the chance to win it outright, then dropping a game against a marginal team to get a split is the definition of backing into a title. What else would you call that? 

You literally just said you'd consider this season a success if you get upset in the first weekend of the tournament. 

PATHETIC. 

30 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Having the chance to win it outright, then dropping a game against a marginal team to get a split is the definition of backing into a title. What else would you call that? 

You literally just said you'd consider this season a success if you get upset in the first weekend of the tournament. 

PATHETIC. 

Unlike MSU, we didn’t lose any bad conference games. We only lost 4 conference games and all 4 were on the road against teams that are in the tournament. Sure it would’ve been nice to win at Minnesota but that’s always a tough place to win.

And yeah if we lose to Villanova in the second round I’m not going to be bummed out about the overall season. They’re a good team with a proven coach. All it takes is an off game from Carsen and we’re toast.  So what is okay for me to consider a successful season without it being pathetic? I’d love to hear your explanation. 

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Unlike MSU, we didn’t lose any bad conference games. We only lost 4 conference games and all 4 were on the road against teams that are in the tournament. Sure it would’ve been nice to win at Minnesota but that’s always a tough place to win.

And yeah if we lose to Villanova in the second round I’m not going to be bummed out about the overall season. They’re a good team with a proven coach. All it takes is an off game from Carsen and we’re toast.  So what is okay for me to consider a successful season without it being pathetic? I’d love to hear your explanation. 

Anyone else tired of boiler posting here? I mean, most of time it's fine with me but after the season IU had none of us want to here your shtick.  Take it to your Purdue board.  We want to commisurate in our frustration not go back and forth about Purdue bull****.  Do us a favor and give it a week or two. 

I hate Purdue as much as anyone, I really do.  But Boiler has always been a respectful poster around here as far back as I can remember.  I enjoy other school’s fans perspective as long as it is presented in a civil manner.  Boiler is welcome to post away as far as I am concerned.  I would much rather have him than any boiler fans over on TOS.

2 hours ago, Milehi Fan said:

I hate Purdue as much as anyone, I really do.  But Boiler has always been a respectful poster around here as far back as I can remember.  I enjoy other school’s fans perspective as long as it is presented in a civil manner.  Boiler is welcome to post away as far as I am concerned.  I would much rather have him than any boiler fans over on TOS.

Usually it's fine with me but there are always some pots shots he takes at IU even when hes being "civil".  All I'm saying is it could get a little chippy around here if hes bringing that over the next few days to weeks.  I mean we just missed the tournament for how many years in a row and we lost a recruit out of our backyard to Kentucky.  Not the best time to pontificate if Purdue's season goals were met or not. 

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

That's all well and good, but when you have a chance to clinch outright and lose that is what backing into a championship is. You can't change definitions because you don't like it, you can just admit you are okay with it. 

The takeaway here is you are okay with getting upset in the first weekend of the tournament and okay with backing into a conference championship; those would put a really sour taste in most IU fans mouth for what should be a special season. For you, it's no big deal. That is telling. 

7 hours ago, CincyHoosier said:

Usually it's fine with me but there are always some pots shots he takes at IU even when hes being "civil".  All I'm saying is it could get a little chippy around here if hes bringing that over the next few days to weeks.  I mean we just missed the tournament for how many years in a row and we lost a recruit out of our backyard to Kentucky.  Not the best time to pontificate if Purdue's season goals were met or not. 

Plus, with the cheerleading finals coming up, he just may have the opportunity to rub PU's 5th NCAA National Championship in ALL sports combined in our faces! 

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

That's all well and good, but when you have a chance to clinch outright and lose that is what backing into a championship is. You can't change definitions because you don't like it, you can just admit you are okay with it. 

The takeaway here is you are okay with getting upset in the first weekend of the tournament and okay with backing into a conference championship; those would put a really sour taste in most IU fans mouth for what should be a special season. For you, it's no big deal. That is telling. 

To me, a B1G Championship is a B1G Championship. In a few years, most folks won’t remember that it was shared with MSU. Going into the year, I expected Purdue to be between maybe 4th-6th in the conference and a bubble team. Purdue wildly exceeded expectations by winning the conference and gaining a 3 seed. I’d be bummed if we didn’t make it to the S16 but I’d still look at the overall season as a success. Again, if this is what we can expect in a down/rebuilding year moving forward, I can live with that. Much better than those years after Hummel and co graduated. 

13 hours ago, CincyHoosier said:

Anyone else tired of boiler posting here? I mean, most of time it's fine with me but after the season IU had none of us want to here your shtick.  Take it to your Purdue board.  We want to commisurate in our frustration not go back and forth about Purdue bull****.  Do us a favor and give it a week or two. 

Honestly, I don’t mind at all that StBoiler posts here. He’s always been civil (as someone else mentioned), and at my age, I’m kind of past the bitterness of the rivalry*.  (No offense.)  I appreciate the insight he gives to the PU program, and if I’m not interested in reading about them, I can skip over his posts.  I’m a Hoosier first and foremost, and a Hoosier always in the sense that I live in Indiana. So, if by chance Purdue ever makes it to the final four again and IU isn’t there, for sure I’m gonna hope they win. Just my take. No way I would have said this 30 years ago, lol.  In the scheme of life, it’s a small thing (to me).  Hugs to everyone, lol!! (That’s the Mrs Stoller part of me!)  (Plus, I believe he’s said that he has several family members who are IU fans/grads, so he’s almost there. 😉)

*Does not mean I don’t want us to win the series with PU! 🙂

14 hours ago, CincyHoosier said:

Not in the least.  In my opinion, any member of an opposing fanbase is welcome to post here so long as their goal is civil conversation/debate.  The occasional elbow to the ribs is tolerated, so long as you can take as well as dish out. 

A) I enjoy talking college sports in general, not just Indiana. 

B) The last thing I want is an IU echo chamber, and that runs in both directions.  I don't want the lollipops-and-unicorns outlook, but I don't want everyone to be as dark as Eeyore's butthole during a blackout either *cough* Rivals *cough*.   A non-IU perspective helps with both of those. 

21 minutes ago, MrsStoller said:

Honestly, I don’t mind at all that StBoiler posts here. He’s always been civil (as someone else mentioned), and at my age, I’m kind of past the bitterness of the rivalry*.  (No offense.)  I appreciate the insight he gives to the PU program, and if I’m not interested in reading about them, I can skip over his posts.  I’m a Hoosier first and foremost, and a Hoosier always in the sense that I live in Indiana. So, if by chance Purdue ever makes it to the final four again and IU isn’t there, for sure I’m gonna hope they win. Just my take. No way I would have said this 30 years ago, lol.  In the scheme of life, it’s a small thing (to me).  Hugs to everyone, lol!! (That’s the Mrs Stoller part of me!)  (Plus, I believe he’s said that he has several family members who are IU fans/grads, so he’s almost there. 😉)

*Does not mean I don’t want us to win the series with PU! 🙂

Yep you're right! My parents, sister, and wife are all IU grads.

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Haha is that you HTD?

Boiler is all right in my book. I hate the toiletmakers but my best friend is a PU grad and I still want PU to lose every game and he feels the same about IU. I have had many players from PU that I despise but would have loved to have them on my team(BRIAN CARDINAL). Haarms is not 1 of them, you could not pay me to have to watch him 30 plus times a year no matter how much I love IU. I would switch allegiance if he were on our team. If he scored 20 and grabbed 10 boards maybe but man that is 1 kid I can't root for in any way shape or form.  

Archived