Around the B1G/NCAA

I don’t mind the occasional talk or rib jabbing but boiler is always here.  He is always taking shots, is constantly trying to argue, acts like he has to defend the honor of PU every time someone has something negative to say.  He also has a history of turning IU threads into arguments about PU.  Dude needs to get off the message boards and practice a little moderation.

In addition I just don’t care to read anything about PU.  And, no, I can’t choose to avoid it.  There isn’t a Purdue thread to just avoid and he keeps popping up everywhere.

It appears I’m in the minority here and that’s fine, but, again, man, at least have some moderation.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Boiler is all right in my book. I hate the toiletmakers but my best friend is a PU grad and I still want PU to lose every game and he feels the same about IU. I have had many players from PU that I despise but would have loved to have them on my team(BRIAN CARDINAL). Haarms is not 1 of them, you could not pay me to have to watch him 30 plus times a year no matter how much I love IU. I would switch allegiance if he were on our team. If he scored 20 and grabbed 10 boards maybe but man that is 1 kid I can't root for in any way shape or form.  

Brian Cardinal - yes!  He played with so much intensity.  Great player.  

13 hours ago, CincyHoosier said:

Also let me sum up what every Hoosier fan thinks of Purdue right now 1) Edwards shoots too much 2) f*** Haarms 3) we hope they lose their first game in the tourney.  That's it, nothing left to discuss. 

We will be laughing at them again this weekend when they get beat, so just give it a little time. He is here to learn about basketball. He won't learn that on the PU boards.

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Chad Austin beat us in Regional championship last second shot and then did so 2 times to beat IU don't like him or Woody

I went to IU East in Richmond and one semester Woody took some classes there when he had grade problems at Purdue

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I went to IU East in Richmond and one semester Woody took some classes there when he had grade problems at Purdue

My soph year Woody and the Red Devils visited and not only beat us soundly rumor is Woody banged about half our cheerleaders. not sure how much is true but 2 of them for sure. There was a guy last name Cruise on that team that dunked all over us

26 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

My soph year Woody and the Red Devils visited and not only beat us soundly rumor is Woody banged about half our cheerleaders. not sure how much is true but 2 of them for sure. There was a guy last name Cruise on that team that dunked all over us

The year after Richmond had won the state they had a player taking classes at IU East and he played intramural basketball.  He was around 6'3 and could jump and made a mistake of trying to get in front of him on a fast break but he ended up dunking over me.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

The year after Richmond had won the state they had a player taking classes at IU East and he played intramural basketball.  He was around 6'3 and could jump and made a mistake of trying to get in front of him on a fast break but he ended up dunking over me.

Tea-bagged!!!

3 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Chris Kramer, Robbie Hummel.....

I don’t think Hummel fits in here. He actually seems like a likable guy. That whole Baby Boiler group all did. 

Kramer fits. 

IU needs a player that everyone else loves to hate. I think Sheehey was the last one. 

13 hours ago, rico said:

Phil Martelli fired at St. Joe's after 25 years.

I don't like see straight shooting guys like him get axed....but given some of the regional success/competition it probably is the right thing to do. 3 straight seasons of sub .500....shame he couldn't go out on own terms but an AD has a responsibility to everyone in the program (including fans, alumni, donors) to see a successful program. 

32 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't like see straight shooting guys like him get axed....but given some of the regional success/competition it probably is the right thing to do. 3 straight seasons of sub .500....shame he couldn't go out on own terms but an AD has a responsibility to everyone in the program (including fans, alumni, donors) to see a successful program. 

Couldn't believe when I saw that he only made the NCAA Tournament 7 times because it seemed like they use to make it about every year.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Couldn't believe when I saw that he only made the NCAA Tournament 7 times because it seemed like they use to make it about every year.

Not close to a fair comparison but eventually Northwestern is going to have to decide on Chris Collins. I think he's a good recruiter, average coach...but this is year 6 for them. 1 tourney bid. They lose Law and Pardon along with 4 other seniors. How long do you go? 10 years?

Chambers and Miles are other conference examples of what to do with good guys who aren't getting results. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Saw Bruiser Flint floated as a name for his replacement.

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Not close to a fair comparison but eventually Northwestern is going to have to decide on Chris Collins. I think he's a good recruiter, average coach...but this is year 6 for them. 1 tourney bid. They lose Law and Pardon along with 4 other seniors. How long do you go? 10 years?

Chambers and Miles are other conference examples of what to do with good guys who aren't getting results. 

I think programs like PSU with Chambers have to ask themselves can they go out and get someone who is better than what they already have.  I think these programs always think that they can do better but traditionally they will never get a great coach.

25 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That 1 tourney bid is more than Northwestern has ever had in its men's bball program history. Collins isn't going anywhere.

Miles is gone I think. He's losing Palmer, Watson and Copeland this year for sure and maybe Roby going pro. The cupboard will be pretty empty and he will probably hit the JUCO/transfer pool hard again. The AD probably expects better after paying for all those nice new facilities. 

Chambers - I'm not sure what Penn State expects of that program. He's put some decent teams on the floor. The students and administration don't seem to care much about basketball. He could stay there a long time unless he's finishing 14th every year.

Just now, ElectricBoogaloo said:

That 1 tourney bid is more than Northwestern has ever had in its men's bball program history. Collins isn't going anywhere.

Miles is gone I think. He's losing Palmer, Watson and Copeland this year for sure and maybe Roby going pro. 

Chambers - I'm not sure what Penn State expects of that program. He's put some decent teams on the floor. The students and administration don't seem to care much about basketball. He could stay there a long time unless he's finishing 14th every year.

Regarding Collins. Know a few people who are kind of close. Basically the message is this. If Fitzgerald can do on the football what he's done with archaic facilities (until the new lakefront facility was built) and have sustained long term success...why can't basketball? I know they just finished the upgrades to facilities to hoops so I'm sure that Collins will be given ample opportunity to recruit those upgrades but in a couple of years if last in Big 10 year after year.....wouldn't surprise me if the move was made. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Regarding Collins. Know a few people who are kind of close. Basically the message is this. If Fitzgerald can do on the football what he's done with archaic facilities (until the new lakefront facility was built) and have sustained long term success...why can't basketball? I know they just finished the upgrades to facilities to hoops so I'm sure that Collins will be given ample opportunity to recruit those upgrades but in a couple of years if last in Big 10 year after year.....wouldn't surprise me if the move was made. 

It wouldn't exactly surprise me if the move was made either. Fitzgerald is somewhat unique having success with the difficult recruiting circumstances at NW. By all accounts, Fitzgerald has had the opportunity to leave for bigger jobs and decided to stay. He's a "unicorn" in the coaching ranks. I think NW views Collins as having that same potential. Collins is from the northern Chicago burbs and may not view the job as a stepping stone. If he has success in basketball (your definition of "success" may vary), that's the best possible outcome for both major sports. I'd be willing to bet he gets at least 3-4 more years unless he's 14th again next year.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Saw Bruiser Flint floated as a name for his replacement.

That dawned on me this afternoon too.  I knew Bru was from that area, but didn't know he played at St. Joes.  His head coaching record isn't that bad either.  He's above .500 overall and in conference play. 

Selfishly, I'd hate to lose him. 

Martelli was an assistant when Bruiser played there. Don’t know how close they are. Martelli didn’t tale the firing well. Had been there 34 years. Not fired due to impropriety, just recent performance. 

Slick Leonard said the only certainty in coaching is that you’ll eventually get fired

Archived