Around the B1G/NCAA

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Thank God that rogue basketball program Utah has finally got what it has had coming for oh so many years.  My faith in the NCAA is restored. 

LOL...the NCAA has never forgotten Majerus buying a Big Mac.

In another brilliant move, the NCAA made a rule this week that anyone wanting to represent a kid exploring entering the NBA draft must have a college degree. The suspicion is that this is being targeted at Rich Paul, Lebron's agent. Not that they can do anything to Paul, as he works for a huge agency, with many co-workers who have a degree. The intent, I think is to prevent another Rich Paul . 

This is crazy, imo. If someone can pass the exam that potential agents must take before being able to ply their trade, regardless of whether they possess a college degree, then more power to them.

Bill Gates and Steve Jobs didn't fare too poorly without a sheepskin.

19 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

In another brilliant move, the NCAA made a rule this week that anyone wanting to represent a kid exploring entering the NBA draft must have a college degree. The suspicion is that this is being targeted at Rich Paul, Lebron's agent. Not that they can do anything to Paul, as he works for a huge agency, with many co-workers who have a degree. The intent, I think is to prevent another Rich Paul . 

This is crazy, imo. If someone can pass the exam that potential agents must take before being able to ply their trade, regardless of whether they possess a college degree, then more power to them.

I laughed as well. They can make their rules but the notion that one of their degrees is required implies the arrogance that their degree is worth so much. Opinions on college degrees vary but degrees are becoming less and less valuable to make a buck in this world. 

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I laughed as well. They can make their rules but the notion that one of their degrees is required implies the arrogance that their degree is worth so much. Opinions on college degrees vary but degrees are becoming less and less valuable to make a buck in this world. 

Degrees being less valuable?  What?  They are almost required at this point. 

Interesting rule. I’m all for anything to try and protect these kids from predatory “agents”. Shame the NCAA doesn’t realize it’s also predatory. 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

Interesting rule. I’m all for anything to try and protect these kids from predatory “agents”. Shame the NCAA doesn’t realize it’s also predatory. 

People live and work in all areas of the country. I'm seeing more and more kids passing up the chance to spend six figures plus and go into debt. 

It's not a large number by any means as most still choose the college route. I'm just saying I see more and more kids making $ off of social media or other "unconventional" ways instead of spending 4 years at college. Again...a very, very small number but growing every day. 

I'll give you one example. Friend of mine's kid was offered 4 years full ride to Purdue for engineering. His choice instead was to pursue gaming income out of high school. His thought was I can go back to college later. 20 years ago no one would even think of something like this. Today...it's not a given. Just my two cents on things I see. 

10 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

In the age of the internet and global economy degrees are way less valuable than they used to be. A college degree used to be a point of entry simply to get a good job, now with eCommerce, digital advertising and social media, if you can figure out the internet you don't really need a college degree. 

Last month I had a kid (probably about 20) reach out and pitch me a system he developed for marketing via Facebook Messenger bots, and he's probably making more money than I am. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

In the age of the internet and global economy degrees are way less valuable than they used to be. A college degree used to be a point of entry simply to get a good job, now with eCommerce, digital advertising and social media, if you can figure out the internet you don't really need a college degree. 

Last month I had a kid (probably about 20) reach out and pitch me a system he developed for marketing via Facebook Messenger bots, and he's probably making more money than I am. 

Happening more and more every day. I even see established companies hiring social media managers on the daily....and in the fine print it states while they prefer college degrees they aren't required. Those ads were never posted 10 years ago. 

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Happening more and more every day. I even see established companies hiring social media managers on the daily....and in the fine print it states while they prefer college degrees they aren't required. Those ads were never posted 10 years ago. 

Absolutely, though most of those jobs do still require college degrees. Working in marketing/social media, it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine (not that you were doing this) that people think running social media for a company is sitting around playing on your phone all day. As digital has evolved, at this point if you're running social media for a company you're also handling social advertising which comes with managing an ad budget, ROI expectations, and being able to navigate and deliver in an ever changing landscape of digital platforms. You're manaing content strategies, SEO, ad budgets, placements, creative, etc. So those jobs typically do require degrees if you're working for an established company. 

But on the degree topic, I've spoken to and follow online numerous people who have figured out things like Amazon advertising, Facebook, Google, etc., and are basically starting digital agencies and don't have degrees. On a similar note, if you have a trade that you're really good at and can learn the internet you can easily start a business and thrive in 2019 without a degree. If you're great at carving things out of wood and can figure out the internet (content marketing, digital ads, etc.) you can have a Shopify store up by lunchtime and begin selling your work. 

I'm not suggesting college degrees are worthless by any means, it depends on what people want to do and what their goals are, but a degree is no longer the point of entry to success that it once largely was. 

I have a co-worker whose son is now my client. Kid is 24 and making well into the 6 figures installing security/audio/video systems in high end homes. Did work for Irsay a few years back when he was building a new place. Did this part-time while in school and was becoming so busy/successful that he quit school and hasn't looked back.

In regards to the NCAA ruling. Again, people do have to pass an exam to be able to hang their shingle, so there are standards. Just disagree that a degree should be required.

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Absolutely, though most of those jobs do still require college degrees. Working in marketing/social media, it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine (not that you were doing this) that people think running social media for a company is sitting around playing on your phone all day. As digital has evolved, at this point if you're running social media for a company you're also handling social advertising which comes with managing an ad budget, ROI expectations, and being able to navigate and deliver in an ever changing landscape of digital platforms. You're manaing content strategies, SEO, ad budgets, placements, creative, etc. So those jobs typically do require degrees if you're working for an established company. 

But on the degree topic, I've spoken to and follow online numerous people who have figured out things like Amazon advertising, Facebook, Google, etc., and are basically starting digital agencies and don't have degrees. On a similar note, if you have a trade that you're really good at and can learn the internet you can easily start a business and thrive in 2019 without a degree. If you're great at carving things out of wood and can figure out the internet (content marketing, digital ads, etc.) you can have a Shopify store up by lunchtime and begin selling your work. 

I'm not suggesting college degrees are worthless by any means, it depends on what people want to do and what their goals are, but a degree is no longer the point of entry to success that it once largely was. 

All day long and no not my intent. I agree with you...managing social media isn't just sitting on the couch playing around on phone. People who think that are still stuck in the 50's. 

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I have a co-worker whose son is now my client. Kid is 24 and making well into the 6 figures installing security/audio/video systems in high end homes. Did work for Irsay a few years back when he was building a new place. Did this part-time while in school and was becoming so busy/successful that he quit school and hasn't looked back.

In regards to the NCAA ruling. Again, people do have to pass an exam to be able to hang their shingle, so there are standards. Just disagree that a degree should be required.

Anecdotal evidence is unreliable at best. 

Just because you can overcome the inherent disadvantages of no college degree doesn’t make it likely. Just like a college degree doesn’t guarantee it. Just makes it a lot easier. 

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

There are certain professions that certainly don't need a college degree. A professional sports agent should never be in that category. In fact, further than getting a college degree I believe most agents have a law degree or should have a law degree. Negotiating a big dollar contract is no joke and agents should be capable of reading the legalese and understanding contract law. A guy with no college degree doing that kind of work is asking for trouble and borders on professional malpractice.

49 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

You have selected a very small segment of the workforce to say that college degrees are less valuable. 

Maybe saying college degrees are less valuable isn't the right way to phrase it. My point is that in 2019 it is easier than at any other point in the modern era to achieve success (defining success in this case as financial/career success) without a college degree. The internet has completely changed the landscape. 

It's not just a small segment or niche, there are people all over the world using the internet to make money, start businesses and build successful careers without college degrees. That wasn't possible 10, 15, 20, 30+ years ago. 

Archived