Around the B1G/NCAA

Just now, BGleas said:

Haha, I was just watching a YouTube video on how to fix the sliding glass doors that came off the track in a shower. YouTube is awesome for that stuff!

Just as I posted to 6.  Anymore, when I need help. I rely upon You Tube.  One minor example.  Forgot how to replace the batteries in my home thermostat. Found the answer on You Tube.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Haha, I was just watching a YouTube video on how to fix the sliding glass doors that came off the track in a shower. YouTube is awesome for that stuff!

I've fixed an air conditioner (capacitor), hot water heater, and the spindles on a John Deere riding mower deck using YouTube videos. Saved a ton of money in the process.

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I've fixed an air conditioner (capacitor), hot water heater, and the spindles on a John Deere riding mower deck using YouTube videos. Saved a ton of money in the process.

YES !

And I learned on You Tube not to trim my lawn, until after I mow.  That way, the grass stays the same height. 

Have we officially sidetracked this thread ?  LOL.  Great stuff folks !

I've also saved a lot of money by switching to YouTube. Haven't bought a Haynes or Chilton manual for car repair for years. Anymore I don't even need YouTube from all the work ive done.  

It's pretty natural for me to fix or build things.  Having earned a degree in biology one thing I did not expect was how useful it would be beyond landing a good job. Because of the background in physics and chemistry I am able to troubleshoot and fix things more efficiently, because I have an understanding of how whatever I'm working on functions. 

6 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I have worked in IT for about 20 years.  Your're grouping all IT into a bucked when certs mean more than degrees and this isn't true.  What you're saying does have some merit when talking about Service Desk employees and even parts of Infrastructure such as Networking and to some degree Server Management.  But for the other 80% of IT professionals who are programmers, analysts, and administrators, the minimum standard is a bachelors degree with 3-5 years experience.  Not to say that some aren't hired with experience over education, that absolutely happens but for the most part in corporate america, your IT department all have some degree in Math, Computer Science, and MIS. 

I can't say this is the same for all areas of all corporations but almost everyone one of the people who are Office workers in my company have a college degree.

But higher education is not for everyone and not everyone should go to college for a 4 year degree.  There are plenty of Trade certs that can lead to a very high yearly income.  I do believe that you either need to be certified in a trade or have a useful college education to have a higher chance of being successful later on in life.  That's not to say everyone needs too and i am sure there are plenty of examples of those who do without higher education, but i think they are the exception and not the rule.

Plus no education is ever worthless.  Being educated helps make better decisions in life.  Its not just about getting a job.

Just my narrow view of the corporate world.  I am sure i can be proven wrong. 

I was using IT as an example. Never said for all IT jobs. Specifically said when an employer is looking for a certain skill. I know someone with a cybersecurity certificate that is doing very well and certainly not entry level. 

I think we are mostly on the same page. Just wanted to clarify 

19 hours ago, BGleas said:

Re-caulked a bathroom and tub courtesy of Youtube. Replaced a kitchen sink faucet and a bathroom faucet. Drilled and replaced toilet-paper roll thingy, whatever that's called lol, and towel bars. Definitely useful. 

But now I'm finding the time and work involved just leaves me wanting to find a way to pay someone else to do it anyway..... :S

1 hour ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Re-caulked a bathroom and tub courtesy of Youtube. Replaced a kitchen sink faucet and a bathroom faucet. Drilled and replaced toilet-paper roll thingy, whatever that's called lol, and towel bars. Definitely useful. 

But now I'm finding the time and work involved just leaves me wanting to find a way to pay someone else to do it anyway..... :S

I am a non-mechanic that has used Youtube to fix things on my vehicles and saved me a lot of money.

5 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Theres always a trade off....

Sometimes there are easy 5 minute fixes to something that definitely beat trying to find/ schedule/ pay for someone. I find myself looking into a fix and then weighing my confidence in ability/ time/ equipment needed/ cost before deciding. 

Just finished my basement and outsourced 80%? to speed the project along and get better quality than I could manage. Some things I don't mind doing. For example, I had the ceiling grid installed but put the tiles in myself. Saved hundreds and super easy. Needed a utility knife and tape measure. 

On 8/12/2019 at 3:42 PM, Steubenhoosier said:

Announced this afternoon that the NCAA is walking back their recent ruling and that potential agents are not required to possess a college degree.

That’s one stupid decision reversed and a whole slew more pending 

The NCAA is such an antiquated, out of touch, corrupt, inept, and ineffectual organization it might as well be called the UN. Let’s be honest does anyone think they have an ounce of credibility or should even exist? I think we can all agree if it isn’t changed soon it will fall apart very soon.

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

The NCAA is such an antiquated, out of touch, corrupt, inept, and ineffectual organization it might as well be called the UN. Let’s be honest does anyone think they have an ounce of credibility or should even exist? I think we can all agree if it isn’t changed soon it will fall apart very soon.

You left out hypocritical....

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

On September 1st, I'm going to start a thread titled '2019 College Basketball Season', and I hope this thing dies shortly thereafter.  246 pages is a little much.

Get back on topic...now about that Nigerian charity.

Seems Jason Gardner had a few Sunday night. Arrested in Fishers Monday morning at 415 for OWI. We'll see what comes of it. People make mistakes so in my little world this isn't the biggest deal but when you sign up to be in the spotlight whether in college ranks or professional....additional scrutiny will come of it.

I'll just say this. Especially in Fishers. If out driving around at 415 in the morning....everything better be 100% by the book. Officers there will pull you over failing to use turn signal. Haha.

Archived