Around the B1G/NCAA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Seems Jason Gardner had a few Sunday night. Arrested in Fishers Monday morning at 415 for OWI. We'll see what comes of it. People make mistakes so in my little world this isn't the biggest deal but when you sign up to be in the spotlight whether in college ranks or professional....additional scrutiny will come of it.

I'll just say this. Especially in Fishers. If out driving around at 415 in the morning....everything better be 100% by the book. Officers there will pull you over failing to use turn signal. Haha.

Jason has resigned as HC at IUPUI.  As a result of his arrest.

16 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Jason has resigned as HC at IUPUI.  As a result of his arrest.

Two possibilities:

• There is either more to the story.
  • or, he understands that getting fired, or at least suspended, was a possibility, and he didn't want to be a public spectacle.  

4 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I wonder if they will move Austin Parkinson over to be HC of the men's team? He has done an outstanding job on the women's side. 

According to my friend who informed me about the resignation. Yet to be determined on a replacement. Also, said the official statement from the school would be that it would be announced as a "mutual agreement"

Thinking of Bob Huggins after his arrest for DWI.  Things worked out for "Huggy Bear" after that.  So it's not necessarily   the end of the world for Jason.   Just sad to hear about a kid out of Indy.  One, who I wished would have chosen IU. 

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

According to my friend who informed me about the resignation. Yet to be determined on a replacement. Also, said the official statement from the school would be that it would be announced as a "mutual agreement"

Thinking of Bob Huggins after his arrest for DWI.  Things worked out for "Huggy Bear" after that.  So it's not necessarily   the end of the world for Jason.   Just sad to hear about a kid out of Indy.  One, who I wished would have chosen IU. 

I wish he would of played for the Hoosiers also. A ton of great talent has left to Hoosier state for some reason for way too long. 

My son's ex-wife used to work for Bob Huggins. She said he was a real pain in the a?? to work for. Law suit city if he still treats employees the way he did when she worked for him.

6 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

I wish he would of played for the Hoosiers also. A ton of great talent has left to Hoosier state for some reason for way too long. 

My son's ex-wife used to work for Bob Huggins. She said he was a real pain in the a?? to work for. Law suit city if he still treats employees the way he did when she worked for him.

The connections on Hoosier Sports Nation are just flat out unbelievable.  Gotta think, seeing the length of time "Huggy Bear" has been coaching at his alma mater, that he has cleaned up his act.  Funny, in respect to Dan Dakich, who walked away from the HC gig he agreed to... after finding out things about their program, he could not agree to.

Dakich Quits After Week At West Virginia, Returns To Bowling Green

10 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

The connections on Hoosier Sports Nation are just flat out unbelievable.  Gotta think, seeing the length of time "Huggy Bear" has been coaching at his alma mater, that he has cleaned up his act.  Funny, in respect to Dan Dakich, who walked away from the HC gig he agreed to... after finding out things about their program, he could not agree to.

Dakich Quits After Week At West Virginia, Returns To Bowling Green

Interesting you bring up Dakich quitting as he is trashing Andrew Luck for doing just that.  I guess Dan's personal reasons matter more than Andrew's.  

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Interesting you bring up Dakich quitting as he is trashing Andrew Luck for doing just that.  I guess Dan's personal reasons matter more than Andrew's.  

I was unaware of that. As I quit listening to Dak after he trashed me a few years back on his radio show. Interesting to learn.   However, does not surprise me.  It's all about the "Ratings".  From duplicitous DD.  And to think I used to be a fan of his. And his parents were good friends of one of my uncles in NWI. 

Just a general comment. Was cruising the timeline earlier. Ran across a reporter named Drew Davis who according to his twitter bio he covers Indiana high school basketball and recruiting. From Washington, Indiana. His first article on the subject of his twitter bio.....yep....Keion Brooks Jr and all of his glowing reviews about Calipari. My question is this. Is it just an attempt to get followers? How does a reporter who claims to cover INDIANA high school basketball and recruiting talk up UK?? Was going to reply to him directly....but just did the normal thing and unfollowed him. 

On 8/27/2019 at 2:21 PM, Reacher said:

Holy Jeebus....that's just disturbing. Hard to believe 12 people watched that and agreed all was good, despite an eye witness confirming it wasn't good at all. Curious what the defense presented to clear him on this one. 

22 minutes ago, JerseyHoosier said:

Holy Jeebus....that's just disturbing. Hard to believe 12 people watched that and agreed all was good, despite an eye witness confirming it wasn't good at all. Curious what the defense presented to clear him on this one. 

They claimed some BS about how she was drunk so he was dragging her back to the room to keep her safe. 

On 8/27/2019 at 5:07 PM, 5fouls said:

Personal reasons?

We were not willing to restructure the economic terms of his contract as aggressively as he wanted.”

1 hour ago, Steubenhoosier said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/candid-coaches-would-you-support-an-olympic-style-model-for-student-athletes/

Not sure where else to put this....Nowhere does it mention that any coach feels the value of the scholarship is enough compensation for these kids.

Quote from article-

Among the "no" responses, this was a common theme. Coaches believe incorporating an Olympic-style model would "legalize cheating" and create advantages for certain schools. And, long as we're being honest, I can admit they're 100 percent correct. It definitely would. Nike would offer endorsement deals in exchange for elite prospects enrolling, or staying, at Kentucky or Duke, Adidas would offer endorsement deals in exchange for elite prospects enrolling, or staying, at Kansas. And, yes, FedEx would put James Wiseman on a billboard quicker than FedEx can deliver a package from Memphis to Melbourne. So Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, Memphis and schools like them would absolutely have incredible recruiting advantages over schools unlike them.

But guess what? They already do!

IMO - This concern is the only legitimate reason why college athletes making money off their likeness hasn't happened yet. 

But you have to wonder - if everything was legal, would the market eventually stabilize itself? It's not like FedEx is going to promise millions of dollars in endorsement deals to every basketball recruit they covet - they do have shareholders to answer to. And doesn't every major university have multiple, super connected rich alumni who are also fanatics? Wouldn't mid-majors still be getting the same type of talent that they are getting right now? The hierarchy has already been set. It's purely speculation on my part, but I don't think money would change it all that much. 

I was really worried that Duke was going to find in their internal investigation that Nike paid Zion.  Fortunately for Duke, Duke did not find anything.  Obviously, no reason for the NCAA to look into this any more, since Duke was nice enough to already have investigated it.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/27555183/duke-probe-finds-no-evidence-nike-paid-zion

However, BYU self reported a payment to their player and the NCAA came down hard on them.

https://kutv.com/sports/college/byus-appeal-denied-by-ncaa-in-nick-emery-case

Archived