Around the B1G/NCAA

1 hour ago, Chad B said:

I was really worried that Duke was going to find in their internal investigation that Nike paid Zion.  Fortunately for Duke, Duke did not find anything.  Obviously, no reason for the NCAA to look into this any more, since Duke was nice enough to already have investigated it.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/27555183/duke-probe-finds-no-evidence-nike-paid-zion

However, BYU self reported a payment to their player and the NCAA came down hard on them.

https://kutv.com/sports/college/byus-appeal-denied-by-ncaa-in-nick-emery-case

Image result for move along nothing to see here gif

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Chad B said:

I was really worried that Duke was going to find in their internal investigation that Nike paid Zion.  Fortunately for Duke, Duke did not find anything.  Obviously, no reason for the NCAA to look into this any more, since Duke was nice enough to already have investigated it.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/27555183/duke-probe-finds-no-evidence-nike-paid-zion

However, BYU self reported a payment to their player and the NCAA came down hard on them.

https://kutv.com/sports/college/byus-appeal-denied-by-ncaa-in-nick-emery-case

84fa24435ea959e84885939d56374978--funny-signs-funny-jokes.jpg

Saw where the governor of California is suppose to vote on whether to allow college athletes in the state to be paid for their likeness.  In the article it stated that NCAA is trying to get the Governor to vote no because it would make for an uneven playing field.  the NCAA also stated that if it passes them it would put all colleges in California ineligible to participate in NCAA sanction events.

2 hours ago, rico said:

No mention of Lynn Swann stepping down as the USC AD?  

His good friend Wayne Hughes finally got enough pressure to do something. For those that don't Wayne is the most behind the scenes LA Billionaire ever created. He funded OJ's defense, still has Al Cowlings living on his compound....has donated upwards of $400 Million to USC over the last 5 years. He made the call to get Swann the gig. Basically though enough is enough. If I'm Hughes...I hire Tom Jurich (his past won't matter in a pro town) and obviously call Urb and make him say no. $ won't be an object on the next hire. 

With that said...if the politicians of California in their zealousness to get the spotlight get this paid for brand/likeness stuff completed....it won't matter who they hire. Any kid would be ineligible day 1 after taking $ and the team would be as well. I agree the NCAA has to change many, many things but trying to force the NCAA's hand in public isn't the way to do it. 

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

His good friend Wayne Hughes finally got enough pressure to do something. For those that don't Wayne is the most behind the scenes LA Billionaire ever created. He funded OJ's defense, still has Al Cowlings living on his compound....has donated upwards of $400 Million to USC over the last 5 years. He made the call to get Swann the gig. Basically though enough is enough. If I'm Hughes...I hire Tom Jurich (his past won't matter in a pro town) and obviously call Urb and make him say no. $ won't be an object on the next hire. 

With that said...if the politicians of California in their zealousness to get the spotlight get this paid for brand/likeness stuff completed....it won't matter who they hire. Any kid would be ineligible day 1 after taking $ and the team would be as well. I agree the NCAA has to change many, many things but trying to force the NCAA's hand in public isn't the way to do it. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/bill-plaschke-lynn-swanns-exit-allows-usc-to-start-cleaning-house-in-the-athletic-department/ar-AAH49H4?li=BBnba9I

18 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Saw where the governor of California is suppose to vote on whether to allow college athletes in the state to be paid for their likeness.  In the article it stated that NCAA is trying to get the Governor to vote no because it would make for an uneven playing field.  the NCAA also stated that if it passes them it would put all colleges in California ineligible to participate in NCAA sanction events.

I think the NCAA and large schools opened this Pandora's box when they started signing these huge media and sportswear deals and made a farce of the amateur model. So **** the NCAA for trying the play the uneven playing field card when they already created one for themselves.

2 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I must have missed this when it was announced, I just read in Athlon that Kellen Sampson has been named head coach in waiting at Houston.  

I mean is his dad that close to retiring?? Guess maybe Houston is preparing for when the NCAA comes down on his dad again. 

22 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I mean is his dad that close to retiring?? Guess maybe Houston is preparing for when the NCAA comes down on his dad again. 

Not sure about Sampson. However, Matt Painter was hired with the understanding he was to be the replacement for Keady, at Purdue.

So it is not without precedent.

IE.  Bobby Knight walking away from his gig mid season at Texas Tech, to be replaced by Pat Knight. 

13 hours ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I must have missed this when it was announced, I just read in Athlon that Kellen Sampson has been named head coach in waiting at Houston.  

I think they announced in April. Smart move by AD. Locked Sampson up for 6 years while maintaining continuity to his kid. I've often thought about who Knight would have chosen as his successor if things didn't go down the way they did. 

The Maine Black Bears need to change their name to  the International Black Bears ! They only have two players from the USA ! They have players from 8 other countries . Two from Canada , 2 from Serbia , 2 from Sweden , 1 each  from : Norway , Ukraine , Denmark  , England , and Lebanon !!!!!! Only time will tell how good they are ?????? After three easy home games  , they play 8 straight ROAD games , starting at Harvard .

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Nice the the NCAA is finally doing something about this TWO YEARS after it all came out, but there’s no way they do anything meaningful.

I don't know. Checking some of the KU fanboards, insiders are thinking major sanctions.  NOA could come out later today.

Just now, milehiiu said:

I don't know. Checking some of the KU fanboards, insiders are thinking major sanctions.  NOA could come out later today.

You think they’ll lay down a postseason ban?  That’s about the only thing that would make a difference, and I’d be pretty surprised if that happened.

Archived