Around the B1G/NCAA

20 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

You think they’ll lay down a postseason ban?  That’s about the only thing that would make a difference, and I’d be pretty surprised if that happened.

All depends on the seriousness of the infractions, I would guess. We'll see how good the KU insiders are.

Reminds me of Sampsongate.  Current HSN3 member 0708 posted about what was about to come down. Even had the correct buyout amount. His post got deleted by John Decker.  Only a handful thought his post had any cred.  He came back a week later, with the same itel.  This time Decker let his post stand. And shortly thereafter, it became real news. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Dollar Bill has been waiting for this to drop since his Illinois days. Just hope the NCAA has the sack to actually do something besides scholarships. They can make 8 work. Scholarship reductions isn't a big deal anymore. 

If they have them dead to rights as bad as we all seem to have heard then honestly the coaches should get show clauses. Out of the NCAA for a minimum 5 years. University should get multiple post season bans, loss of scholarships, and in the case of Louisville who has multiple violations probably death penalty. Shut down the program for like 3 years. I mean if you want to get rid of it you got to make the penalty severe enough to dissuade someone from doing it. Slap on the wrist won't cut it.

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If they have them dead to rights as bad as we all seem to have heard then honestly the coaches should get show clauses. Out of the NCAA for a minimum 5 years. University should get multiple post season bans, loss of scholarships, and in the case of Louisville who has multiple violations probably death penalty. Shut down the program for like 3 years. I mean if you want to get rid of it you got to make the penalty severe enough to dissuade someone from doing it. Slap on the wrist won't cut it.

Dollar Bill has been angling for the Bulls job for 2 years. We'll see. 

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If they give Self a show clause would that mean that KU would pretty much have to fire him

I mean I doubt they stay at their current schools. With what we saw with Pearl and Sampson I think Self has more serious accusations he would get worse. That said I would be shocked to see any of these guys get something that strong. Probably fined and loss of scholarships. 

9 hours ago, 5fouls said:

In other news, while the NCAA is occupied with fallout from the Adidas scandal, UNC has published their listing of fake classes for the semester, and the University of Duke Athletic Department was a Diamond Sponsor of the New Home Showcase in Durham.   

Exactly.   In my mind if all the Nike schools get out of this without a second look, it will be a real shame.  I fully believe that Duke and UNC have been in that same game for years.  I think there is no doubt that Kentucky does it.  Kansas is going to get hammered (and they should) but they were not doing anything that those other 3 were.  And Coach K is going to ride off into retirement viewed as a Saint and a great coach (which he is good) but, much like Wooden, there was a reason he was as good as he was.

55 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Exactly.   In my mind if all the Nike schools get out of this without a second look, it will be a real shame.  I fully believe that Duke and UNC have been in that same game for years.  I think there is no doubt that Kentucky does it.  Kansas is going to get hammered (and they should) but they were not doing anything that those other 3 were.  And Coach K is going to ride off into retirement viewed as a Saint and a great coach (which he is good) but, much like Wooden, there was a reason he was as good as he was.

As my Dad says "The wheels of justice are slow, but when you get caught in them they will grind you up in to bologna salad."

To me, the only things that can really take a program down are making the current coach quit, extended postseason bans and making the job so undesirable that no good coach wants it. Other than that, a program can bounce back really quick. You sorta need all three  

Look at Louisville, yes they made Pitino quit, but otherwise they weathered one season of an interim coach and postseason ban, but nothing else happened to the program so they basically swooped in and got a really good coach and didn’t skip a beat. 

The only way to make cheating programs suffer, if the NCAA even wants to do that, is to make the job undesirable for the next hire the school makes. 

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Saying he has just decided that KU "is not a good fit for me".... incoming PG Issac McBride has withdrawn from the program. 

Every time I see something like this, I flash back to Trendon Watford saying that Will Wade assured him LSU would be fine.  It just pisses me off that Wade is such a slimy crook and that the Watfords fell for it.  I have a really hard time believing that they thought there was absolutely nothing fishy about the program with all the stories swirling around with the coach literally caught on audio bragging about offering to pay players.  I probably have a bigger ax to grind with Will Wade than most of the other slimy coaches out there because he was caught so red-handed and STILL managed to steal recruits from much more honest programs.

How did a family like the Watfords ignore all this and STILL choose LSU?!!!  That question still burns me...

15 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Unless McBride were to qualify and be approved for some type of hardship, I would think he would have to sit.

NCAA sanctions isn’t hardship enough? I don’t think it will effect this year but perhaps the next couple years. Who knows. Maybe the brother of a certain IU alum will see his coach fired and think where would I fit. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wasn't even sure where to put this. Cruising twitter last night. Mountain West has their media day on October 15th. They'll be represented by none other than Jaquan Lyle.....and Carlton Bragg. Jaquan will turn 24 this February and Carlton will turn 24 this December. Probably not where both former 5 stars thought things would end up 7 years after their initial recruiting decisions.

Archived