Around the B1G/NCAA

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Wasn't even sure where to put this. Cruising twitter last night. Mountain West has their media day on October 15th. They'll be represented by none other than Jaquan Lyle.....and Carlton Bragg. Jaquan will turn 24 this February and Carlton will turn 24 this December. Probably not where both former 5 stars thought things would end up 7 years after their initial recruiting decisions.

Wonder who has more travel miles.  Jaquan Lyle or Grant Gelon

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
51 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

I didn't know where to put this article on academic fraud and the Ncaa.

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/article235794402.html

The NCAA is such a joke.   

Go Hoosiers!!!

Story was written by Dan Kane. I have been following him for years.  Reviled by most UNC fans.  Because he has the you know what's to condemn UNC for their overt violations over the years. Particularly, the sham paper classes.

Dan Kane

12 minutes ago, BDB said:

Probably not happy that AJ Hoggard, another 2020 PG, just recently committed to Sparty. Terry was their first 2020 commit. May feel he was disrespected. When Hoggard committed, he said, “to come in as a freshman and get to play, it is always big, and to come into a spot for Cassius, it is going to be huge for me”. 

Interesting because Terry is ranked  slightly higher 

1 hour ago, BDB said:

Meanwhile..and I'm not sure if I saw this in the football thread or what but the NCAA sure making a statement on poor Mary Hardin-Baylor D3. Coach let multiple players use an old car of his to get around (06 Subaru) until it finally fell apart so they stripped the school of it's national championships after the school self reported. WOW....Big Bad NCAA watch out Kansas....I'm sure you will be next. SMH

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/mary-hardin-baylor-penalized-vacate-national-title

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Meanwhile..and I'm not sure if I saw this in the football thread or what but the NCAA sure making a statement on poor Mary Hardin-Baylor D3. Coach let multiple players use an old car of his to get around (06 Subaru) until it finally fell apart so they stripped the school of it's national championships after the school self reported. WOW....Big Bad NCAA watch out Kansas....I'm sure you will be next. SMH

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/mary-hardin-baylor-penalized-vacate-national-title

Christ on a cracker......you can't make s*** like this up. 

From ridiculous to absurd to....what's after absurd? Delusional?

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

And years ago.  Illinois players, were seen driving new Chevy Blazers to practice.

While cars for North Carolina players were provided by a local car dealership.  Bring any car in for repair.  And drive out with a new "loaner" car. It was talked about by my friends on the Duke board.  Wheels for Heels is what they called it.  Funny that the car they brought in could not get fixed till the school year was over.  In addition. There was a famous UNC booster who would pay out of pocket for rental cars for UNC BB players.  Some cars very high end.

46 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

While cars for North Carolina players were provided by a local car dealership.  Bring any car in for repair.  And drive out with a new "loaner" car. It was talked about by my friends on the Duke board.  Wheels for Heels is what they called it.  Funny that the car they brought in could not get fixed till the school year was over.

Crooked as hell, but I have to admire the ingenuity that went into dreaming that one up.  Talk about creative...

...of course, IU's compliance program would self-report and ask for the death penalty if a local dealer tried to be that supportive.

3 hours ago, milehiiu said:

And years ago.  Illinois players, were seen driving new Chevy Blazers to practice.

While cars for North Carolina players were provided by a local car dealership.  Bring any car in for repair.  And drive out with a new "loaner" car. It was talked about by my friends on the Duke board.  Wheels for Heels is what they called it.  Funny that the car they brought in could not get fixed till the school year was over.  In addition. There was a famous UNC booster who would pay out of pocket for rental cars for UNC BB players.  Some cars very high end.

During my time at USI at the end of Pearls run a ton of the players we’re driving new cars I want to say from Kenny Kent who sponsored the b-ball program. They told me they worked there detailing cars but I never saw them work a day I was there. Anyways this stuff is so common place now I’m sure IU has had some boosters fake employ some players but I never heard of it.

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

During my time at USI at the end of Pearls run a ton of the players we’re driving new cars I want to say from Kenny Kent who sponsored the b-ball program. They told me they worked there detailing cars but I never saw them work a day I was there.

Yeah. I heard about that as well. Just forgot about it.  Thanks for refreshing my memory.

5 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Little Ricky gets his second 4 star recruit as Jamal Mashburn, Jr. commits to the Gophers.

Probably thank his daddy for that one. I ain’t going to lie...Jamal Mashburn was probably the most dominant “man” I think I ever saw us go up against. Just a crazy physical specimen and incredible player. Those that are a little younger might watch some YouTube clips. Just incredible player. Remember when Dallas had Mashburn, jimmy Jackson, and Jason Kidd?? How did they not win a championship or at least get to one...geez!

9 hours ago, dgambill said:

Probably thank his daddy for that one. I ain’t going to lie...Jamal Mashburn was probably the most dominant “man” I think I ever saw us go up against. Just a crazy physical specimen and incredible player. Those that are a little younger might watch some YouTube clips. Just incredible player. Remember when Dallas had Mashburn, jimmy Jackson, and Jason Kidd?? How did they not win a championship or at least get to one...geez!

Kidd's rookie year, they weren't terrible, but still missed the playoffs. Season after that, Mashburn was injured half the year. Then the season after that, they traded Kidd mid year.

They really only had one full season together.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

Kidd's rookie year, they weren't terrible, but still missed the playoffs. Season after that, Mashburn was injured half the year. Then the season after that, they traded Kidd mid year.

They really only had one full season together.

Yes. Incompetent management of the Mavs back then. Like I said hard to believe you have all that talent and didn’t take advantage of it.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-hot-seat-seven-coaches-whose-jobs-could-be-on-the-line-in-2019-20/

One B1G name on here and a couple of other notable names. Frankly, don't see how Pastner still has a job.

At the end of the article there are also some comments about the programs that have been most under the investigative microscope. Per Parrish, doesn't sound like any of the head coaches involved are going anywhere....at least not due to the investigations.

26 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/college-basketball-hot-seat-seven-coaches-whose-jobs-could-be-on-the-line-in-2019-20/

One B1G name on here and a couple of other notable names. Frankly, don't see how Pastner still has a job.

At the end of the article there are also some comments about the programs that have been most under the investigative microscope. Per Parrish, doesn't sound like any of the head coaches involved are going anywhere....at least not due to the investigations.

UNC established the playbook for dealing with the NCAA. Support the coach, lawyer up, deny aggressively and if necessary, find a scapegoat from a non-revenue sport 

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/27862057/john-calipari-kentucky-wildcats-more-nba-draft-rounds-all-g-league

Looks like the NBA is thinking about expanding the amount of rounds in the draft which would only help the G-league.  A lot of the 2nd rounders don't even make the roster so expanding the draft will not help these kids to make an NBA roster.

Archived