Around the B1G/NCAA

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/27862057/john-calipari-kentucky-wildcats-more-nba-draft-rounds-all-g-league

Looks like the NBA is thinking about expanding the amount of rounds in the draft which would only help the G-league.  A lot of the 2nd rounders don't even make the roster so expanding the draft will not help these kids to make an NBA roster.

Every pick in the top 50 last two years have had guaranteed contracts and about 60% a 2 year contract. Over 90% in the last 6 years have had a guaranteed deal. That said if the new pay for likeness thing takes off college kids may be able to stay in school all 4 years if they aren’t getting the attention from the pros they think they deserve. Going to be interesting going forward.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Every pick in the top 50 last two years have had guaranteed contracts and about 60% a 2 year contract. Over 90% in the last 6 years have had a guaranteed deal. That said if the new pay for likeness thing takes off college kids may be able to stay in school all 4 years if they aren’t getting the attention from the pros they think they deserve. Going to be interesting going forward.

It’s not your first contract you make money, it’s the second.

they are all guaranteed because of the low pay out.

9 hours ago, JugRox said:

It’s not your first contract you make money, it’s the second.

they are all guaranteed because of the low pay out.

NBA MINIMUM is over 800,000 and getting bigger every year. I’m pretty sure that is enough to change your life forever if  you manage it correctly....and if you get 2 years as almost 2/3 does than that’s over a million and half. As you correctly pointed out it’s that much sooner if you go earlier. Now if they go to a third round as I assume they want to build up their g-league or possibly foreign leagues they are working on they likely will have to go to fully guaranteed contracts for at minimum the second rd. Like I said. If I’m getting a car dealership and shoe deal for 250000 and a car for 4 years and you aren’t guaranteeing my contract I sure might stay in college. But more and more the second round guaranteed is becoming a formality.

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Wasn't even sure if this was noteworthy or where to put....but Dakich was suspended for the week. He's being suspended this week for actions last year. Maybe his chicken blank comments about Romeo and Archie caught up with him. Anyway...thought I would share. 

Interesting. Not gonna kick Dak. Have done plenty of that in the past. Thanks for sharing.

I just wonder why it took a year. 

7 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Interesting. Not gonna kick Dak. Have done plenty of that in the past. Thanks for sharing.

I just wonder why it took a year. 

This is purely a guess. Probably because they didn't want to show a direct link between his comments and being suspended immediately...makes the station look weak...but if my little conspiracy theory is true it makes them all look weak and shows that IU still calls the shots. This is all based on if in fact he was suspended for his comments about Archie and Romeo last year. 

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This is purely a guess. Probably because they didn't want to show a direct link between his comments and being suspended immediately...makes the station look weak...but if my little conspiracy theory is true it makes them all look weak and shows that IU still calls the shots. This is all based on if in fact he was suspended for his comments about Archie and Romeo last year. 

I just found this :

Dan Dakich suspended from ESPN's The Fan for not adhering to "journalistic principles"

52 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If Dakich wants to talk about people being weak (not the term he used), then why hide what you're being suspended for? 

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

If Dakich wants to talk about people being weak (not the term he used), then why hide what you're being suspended for? 

hypocrite

[ hip-uh-krit ]

noun

a person who pretends to have virtues, moral or religious beliefs, principles, etc., that he or she does not actually possess, especially a person whose actions belie stated beliefs.
a person who feigns some desirable or publicly approved attitude, especially one whose private life, opinions, or statements belie his or her public statements.

26 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Hate seeing that although it's impossible to weed out potential bad behavior in a recruitment.  Right now, I'm glad he's UConn's problem.

I really like that kid's game. He was very smooth. Looked to have a real future. That said 18 and cars and accidents...really could happen or see such behavior from any kid. I wouldn't say he is a problem just probably got scared and did the wrong thing and made the situation worse. Hope he get's it sorted out and makes it back to the court.

Just now, dgambill said:

I really like that kid's game. He was very smooth. Looked to have a real future. That said 18 and cars and accidents...really could happen or see such behavior from any kid. I wouldn't say he is a problem just probably got scared and did the wrong thing and made the situation worse. Hope he get's it sorted out and makes it back to the court.

Great perspective - might have happened to me at 18.

4 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

As a cynical follower of college basketball, I predict he will be suspended for a couple cupcake games and then back with the team.

Yeah...I'd be shocked if he isn't back with the team very quickly. How much he plays etc is yet to be seen as he is a freshman but he was highly regarded...they aren't going to toss him aside over a traffic accident and then getting scared and making some bad decision about being honest and upfront about it.

23 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I didn't mean to imply it was anything more than a distraction.  No doubt lots of kids make dumb mistakes at that age...I just see Hanner Perea potential every time I read stuff like this, although I hope it turns out to be something relatively trivial for all involved.  I was more than a little surprised he didn't even have a drivers license...that's troubling/puzzling as well.  Did he never get one or did he lose his license over prior bad behavior?

At any rate, regardless how trivial/serious this turns out to be, I am still glad it's UConn's problem rather than IU's.  I don't have any problem repeating that.  The fewer issues like this on your team, there better, says Captain Obvious.

Archived