Around the B1G/NCAA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Looking more and more like we picked the wrong year to schedule a weak non-conference slate... Big Ten getting slaughtered to start the year.  Might be one of those seasons where the conference only gets 5 in the tournament.

Never fear...if IU hits 20+ wins, they'll be in.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Never fear...if IU hits 20+ wins, they'll be in.

Two years ago, 22-10 Nebraska and 21-13 Penn State both missed the tournament.  I’ll never understand why a season where we missed the tourney with a 17-15 record has IU fans so convinced that getting 20 wins is a magical ticket to the tournament no matter how weak the schedule is.

With our weak non-conference schedule and a down Big Ten, going 13-11 against the power conference teams on our schedule this season very well may not cut it.  And that’s assuming we sweep the cupcakes.  

3 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Two years ago, 22-10 Nebraska and 21-13 Penn State both missed the tournament.  I’ll never understand why a season where we missed the tourney with a 17-15 record has IU fans so convinced that getting 20 wins is a magical ticket to the tournament no matter how weak the schedule is.

With our weak non-conference schedule and a down Big Ten, going 13-11 against the power conference teams on our schedule this season very well may not cut it.  And that’s assuming we sweep the cupcakes.  

Ironic though that we wouldn't have needed 20 last year.

5 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Look at the two names you mentioned. PSU basketball is, for the most part, the equivalent of IU football. In cases like this, whether it's conscious or not, name value matters. Right, wrong or indifferent, some committee members will perceive a 22-10 Indiana team as stronger than a 22-10 PSU team. The reverse happens all the time. How many times have we seen a football recruit's ranking go down after committing to IU?

That said, how about we just take care of business so that this isn't even relevant?

12 minutes ago, DJcandypants said:

They looked pretty good. Made Iowa look a few steps slow and unathletic. When they had Kriener and Garza pulled away from the basket it looked easy to get into the lane. Should be a fun team to watch this season. 

Rough day for Iowa. Get smoked by Depaul (who has been worse than Rutgers for decades), arena is half full....lose a top 60 in state recruit to your in state rival (after being on him the longest), and all of this in year 10 for Fran. Saw this stat online so no clue if if true. It's been over 800 days since Iowa/Fran had a kid accept scholarship at Iowa who had an offer at another P5 school (not counting his son of course).

1 hour ago, DJcandypants said:

They looked pretty good. Made Iowa look a few steps slow and unathletic. When they had Kriener and Garza pulled away from the basket it looked easy to get into the lane. Should be a fun team to watch this season. 

I looked ahead at the Demons schedule...they play at Minnesota.  

7 minutes ago, rico said:

I looked ahead at the Demons schedule...they play at Minnesota.  

Speaking of schedules. I always bring things back to IU. At least so far on paper....kind of wish we played Iowa/Northwestern twice this year. Only get them once and both are home games. Guess I shouldn't complain but would be nice to get one of them on the road too. 

12 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Speaking of schedules. I always bring things back to IU. At least so far on paper....kind of wish we played Iowa/Northwestern twice this year. Only get them once and both are home games. Guess I shouldn't complain but would be nice to get one of them on the road too. 

Ya just never know sometimes...it could be a blessing we only play them once.  

13 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yeah only truly bad team we get twice is Nebraska. 

2 hours ago, DJcandypants said:

I watched the game and it looked liked a varsity team vs a JV team.

Iowa is going to have a hard time on defense this year.

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Kansas lands 5 star guard in Bryce Thompson. Carolina was involved but probably bowed out after their recent haul. Seems like notice of allegations or whatever the NCAA threw at Self doesn't matter to recruits. 

Why would it?  It’s not like the money stopped flowing. Same reason why I don’t get people dismissing Memphis because of what happened with Wiseman. 

One last comment on UK loss. Sometimes I like to just look at the box score to see if it tells a story with certain numbers. I know Evansville played well enough to win but just looking at the numbers I think you could say it's not like they outstanding either. 30% from 3. Aces had more turnovers, same fouls....doubled up at FT Line.

Guess my point is this. It's not like Evansville set the world on fire last night.

Archived