Around the B1G/NCAA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

He is awful.  I took crap for a near decade for saying it.  

Crean was not great but anyone that said he was awful at IU is doing this just because some hatred for him. You can't be an awful coach and win 2 big ten championships or get to 3 sweet 16's.  He also got IU to #1 in the country and 1 seed in the tournament so no he was not awful.

16 hours ago, jefftheref said:

I disagree with Bilas when he said Crean is a great coach. He is mediocre at best. 

I'll split the difference with you.  You're right, he's not a great coach.  I think he's a step above mediocre though. 

As far as in-game tactics go, yeah....he's not great.  Recruiting, he's the equivalent of a good #4 hitter in baseball: hits a lot of great home runs, including on some pitches that other guys wouldn't have hit, average hitter if he's not knocking it out of the park, but is prone to strikeouts at very inopportune times.  I think he's a decent human being that tries to operate as honestly as one can in D1 athletics. 

Does he have a Final Four on his resume if he doesn't have DWade? Nope.  Are his results here the same based on that? Probably.  Could they have been better? Yes. 

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Settles looked like the Crypt Keeper on BTN last night. 

Edit: He’s only in his early 40s??

Settles looks exactly like he did when he was wearing an Iowa uniform. Hasn't aged a day...

Of course, he looked 40 something then, too...

3 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

I'll split the difference with you.  You're right, he's not a great coach.  I think he's a step above mediocre though. 

As far as in-game tactics go, yeah....he's not great.  Recruiting, he's the equivalent of a good #4 hitter in baseball: hits a lot of great home runs, including on some pitches that other guys wouldn't have hit, average hitter if he's not knocking it out of the park, but is prone to strikeouts at very inopportune times.  I think he's a decent human being that tries to operate as honestly as one can in D1 athletics. 

Does he have a Final Four on his resume if he doesn't have DWade? Nope.  Are his results here the same based on that? Probably.  Could they have been better? Yes. 

Yeah, I don't get all the Crean hate. Is he a great coach? Of course not. Was it time for him to leave IU? Absolutely! 

I realize he's more flash than substance and he's wildly inconsistent, but at the end of the day his resume probably stacks up in the top 10-15% of active D1 coaches. He's not blue blood caliber, but he's a solid (probably above average), legitimate high major coach. He's perfect for the Marquette's, Georgia's, NC State's, Arizona State's, etc., of the world.  

Archived