Around the B1G/NCAA

2 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Players boycotted practice as word is spreading Larry is going to be fired. History is filled with how not to lead. Amazes me that some of these AD's/Administrator types at Universities still don't have a clue how to properly handle a situation from all sides. 

WOW !  I was not even aware of this.  Things getting out of hand in Fort Collins.

The Denver Post confirming what you are saying :

Colorado State Rams basketball players boycott practice

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

WOW !  I was not even aware of this.  Things getting out of hand in Fort Collins.

The Denver Post confirming what you are saying :

Colorado State Rams basketball players boycott practice

Not sure many are going to be highly sought after but this might be exhibit A when NCAA changes policy in coming months about transfers. When Colorado St fires him officially I'm sure there will be many, many transfers.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Players boycotted practice as word is spreading Larry is going to be fired. History is filled with how not to lead. Amazes me that some of these AD's/Administrator types at Universities still don't have a clue how to properly handle a situation from all sides. 

Boycotted for what reason?

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I personally can put up with quite a bit of personal abuse, too, because of my upbringing. I'm curious if you think that just because you and many others can and have put up with it means it is acceptable (not good, as you alreadu said) behavior? Also curious, don't think emotional and verbal abuse are real?

Couple of things: verbal and emotional abuse are absolutely real. However, there are grey areas here in this situation.. D1 basketball... I usually side with the coach... or can see their perspective a lot more than others. If it ended once practice was done "the abuse" and there wasn't just one whipping boy.. I'm much more inclined to go with the coach. Again.. grey area.. I'd need more info, I want to hear what was word for word said during the abusing. 

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Are they against LE? Or? I haven't read up on this situation a ton. 

Players seem to have his back...but I don't know for sure. I'm sure Mile or someone else who knows can help with that side of things. Either way. Much like Kevin Wilson....a university can find a way to get rid of a guy if they want. 

Outside of physical abuse, endangering the physical health/safety of players, or sexual harassment, I can’t really think of anything a coach could do within the normal context of practices and games that would really justify him getting fired for “verbal/emotional abuse.”  It’s big time athletics, not a tea party.  But, I will admit I know nothing about Eustachy’s prior bad acts.

37 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Couple of things: verbal and emotional abuse are absolutely real. However, there are grey areas here in this situation.. D1 basketball... I usually side with the coach... or can see their perspective a lot more than others. If it ended once practice was done "the abuse" and there wasn't just one whipping boy.. I'm much more inclined to go with the coach. Again.. grey area.. I'd need more info, I want to hear what was word for word said during the abusing. 

Fair enough, thanks for explaining your perspective man. 

38 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I can see this side of it and agree.  The justification being 'coach will stop at nothing for me to be the best I can be'.  In the right mind sets off a series of questions.  "Coach wouldn't be yelling at me if I were capable of better?"  "If coach believes that, and will stop at almost nothing for me to be the best, why should I settle for less?"

In the right coach - student athlete relationship, it can really drive a player.

6 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Pissing me off watching crappy Wisconsin doing what IU couldn't at Illinois.

13 straight for Wisconsin over Illinois. Shot the ball really well and Illinois didn't have an answer for Happ who scored whenever he felt like it. Trent Frazier for Illiinois had 32.  He looks like legit talent. Otherwise....Underwood better hope that the Ayo kid is as advertised (rankings wise). Don't see much talent there at all. Which includes Mr. Illinois Mark Smith who was a 5 star who chose Illinois over Kentucky and Sparty (allegedly). He comes off the bench and isn't a factor.

And the Vermont Catamounts win at the Albany Great Danes and are in 1st place in the America East conference. Looks like they will go to the Dance. Reason I bring this up is Vermont has 2 brothers, Ernie and Everett Duncan, that played HS ball at Ev. Harrison, my kids alma mater. Harrison also has another Duncan kid that will play with his brothers at Vermont next year.

• Tennessee ranks eighth nationally in average home attendance, having drawn 15,981 fans through 12 home games at Thompson-Boling Arena.

• During its six-game win streak, Tennessee is allowing just 58.5 ppg and has not surrendered more than 63 points.

• Per KenPom.com, Tennessee rates in the national top 30 in both offensive (27th) and defensive (4th) efficiency.

• The Vols are rated No. 10 in the NCAA RPI and own the nation's third-rated SOS, per KenPom.com.

Archived