Around the B1G/NCAA

21 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I think it’s a slump. I think Vince, Dakota, and PJ are all good players who are slumping. Don’t think it’s them being exposed. Mathias and Vince will be all-conference guys so clearly they’re talented and PJ is a really good shooter. How is it being exposed when they’re missing open shots?

Incredibly arrogant answer. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After IU showed the blueprint.....Purdue is 2-2 with 1 of those wins over Rutgers. I don't know what constitutes a trend, slump, or what a team is but including our game vs Purdue has looked very beatable/average team that has gone 3-2.

To me Purdue looks like a team that was probably given a tad much credit when the schedule was a little weak and are probably being beat up a little more than necessary after some losses. Either way. Purdue still has a good team just not what many thought they were before these recent 5 games.

So I'm in this pickem pool each week. 15 games. $2 each. About 40 people. It's so hard to win when Iowa St, Bama, Baylor, A&M all win and technically are upsets. One of these weeks I'll just pick all underdogs. 

Kentucky getting closer and closer to that 9/10 seed line we talked about on here a couple weeks ago. Not sure what to think of Kansas either. That was a 2 point game at 7 minute mark and lose by 16?

Side note. When Crean chose Xavier to make Final 4 before season I thought huh? Maybe I should have listened more closely. 

8 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Care to go more in depth on that? So Painter shouldn’t have kept going to Haas even though he was one-on-one? What exactly did Painter do wrong?

Quick question or thought. Maybe it's been discussed. Purdue had 5 fouls...one to give before Bridges shot. Why not foul there? Even after a few beers we were all asking ourselves that. 

Got on a couple PU sites and a few fans are already complaining about Painter lol pathetic.  PU probably wins out and loses in the Big tourney in the finals, then gets beat in the Sweet 16 or elite 8.  That would be a solid season and they'll call for Painters head, again. He's not perfect, but he's done a great job at that crap hole.

as for resume, people always talk about what teams were ranked when they played them.  sure i get it to a point, but it means more to me to see where they are now.  Purdue's best wins are 13 AZ when they were really down and 15 Tenn.  next best one is 20 Michigan.  not super impressive to me.  still hoping to see them finish 3rd in the conference and take a usual 2nd round exit in the big dance. 

3 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

as for resume, people always talk about what teams were ranked when they played them.  sure i get it to a point, but it means more to me to see where they are now.  Purdue's best wins are 13 AZ when they were really down and 15 Tenn.  next best one is 20 Michigan.  not super impressive to me.  still hoping to see them finish 3rd in the conference and take a usual 2nd round exit in the big dance. 

Well take a step back and just look at the RPI.  I think of as now Purdue is 10-4 against teams in the top 100.  But I see what you are saying.....but they are just playing the schedule they have before them.  

9 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Exactly. If our shooters hit like they normally do, we win. Didn’t happen today. 

Let ne take a stab. Every since the IU game your M O has been our shooters havent hit like they usually do or we would win or it would not be as close.   

I have watched enough of Purdue to realize that they can put 4 guys around Haas thst can hit open 3's. Since the IU game teams are not doubling down on him so even though u say it's because they are not hitting its because they are not as open and the ball movement does not happen if there is no players scrambling to recover from the double. 

Purdue us at it's best when they get up the floor  space kick it in wait for double get good cuts then crisp ball movement.  All of that stops when u throw it inside and let Haas take 8 seconds to get to the basket while everyone else watches. Then when they do get a 3 its a little rushed because the defense did not have to commit so much. All of this leads to a slower pace and i think it also hurts their defense.

IU laid the blue print and teams with just a little more talent can take full advantage of it. I would let Haas get as many as he can because it takes a couple of the other guys out of it.  A month ago the talk about Purdue was they have so many weapons. Give them the 1 7 ft weapon because he may get his but in doing so takes away from the rest of the team

28 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I was thinking PU lost to Tenn? 

I personally do think IU showed the best way to play PU, but I believe the law of averages just caught up with them.  They were shooting an incredible percentage at the 3, and it was inevitable that it wasn't going to last.  They lost to really good teams too, so I don't think our game had much to do with it.  The real test will be the next couple weeks.  If they lose to one of these scrub teams then I think they are in serious trouble, and the blue print theory may have some validity.

I remember Illinois doing a great job against us defensively pushing our guys up behind the 3 point line.  I could see PU struggling with a team who plays like that too, but with Haas, it may not work.

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

The only thing id disagree with is a situation like our win over ND. We played them when they were healthy, and their drop is mainly due to their AA candidate getting injured. That win should still count as a quality, high-end win. 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

The only thing id disagree with is a situation like our win over ND. We played them when they were healthy, and their drop is mainly due to their AA candidate getting injured. That win should still count as a quality, high-end win. 

Louisville and Butler aren't exactly gimme's.  Add in two wins over UM.  Purdue doesn't look that bad to me, resume wise.

11 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

They are in for a world of hurt next year. No experience (or real talent outside of Edwards) plus Painters coaching...yikes. 

Lol. It’ll be a rebuilding year but you act like they have nothing left. They return a front runner for BTPOY and Haarms is already pretty solid for a freshman big. All we need is some contributions from the freshmen/redshirt freshmen and we’ll have a chance to be a tournament team. 

Archived