Around the B1G/NCAA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not a fan of Purdue at all , and certainly ecstatic to see them lose.

Would also be fair to remind folks that in several of the Crean years IU struggled just as badly down the stretch, including one year where we were highly rated and lost 5 of 7.

My point is not to provide excuses or let PU off the hook. More along the lines that it's a long season, and these are kids. Stuff happens.

Just now, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Not a fan of Purdue at all , and certainly ecstatic to see them lose.

Would also be fair to remind folks that in several of the Crean years IU struggled just as badly down the stretch, including one year where we were highly rated and lost 5 of 7.

My point is not to provide excuses or let PU off the hook. More along the lines that it's a long season, and these are kids. Stuff happens.

I've always been one to equate Crean and Painter in terms of coaching acumen. This Purdue team is doomed just like our Crean teams.

11 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Your comment calling them trash was laughable. If we don’t make a deep tournament run this year, I don’t think I want him to stay around too much longer. 

Yes boiler compared to earlier in the year. This version is a trash version of what they were now that everyone has figured out how to play you guys. Carson Edwards only player to hit a three for you guys. What you have 20 points at halftime? Not looking good. Might be 4 straight L's pretty soon. 

If you wanna have a "nice" program then keep Painter. He is good at winning just enough to keep his job. He can't get past sweet sixteen let alone final four. Reminds me of Crean who won just enough there for a little while to hold on for a few more years but really after the Syracuse game when he looked like he had never saw a zone defense in his life it was time to go. The whole turn the ball over and play no defense thing was never going to be able to sunstain success. You guys would be better off cutting ties with Painter and starting over..but I like Painter keep him! Haha. BTW you guys are gonna be really tough in football for as long as Brohm stays there. 

1 hour ago, 5 championships said:

Yes boiler compared to earlier in the year. This version is a trash version of what they were now that everyone has figured out how to play you guys. Carson Edwards only player to hit a three for you guys. What you have 20 points at halftime? Not looking good. Might be 4 straight L's pretty soon. 

If you wanna have a "nice" program then keep Painter. He is good at winning just enough to keep his job. He can't get past sweet sixteen let alone final four. Reminds me of Crean who won just enough there for a little while to hold on for a few more years but really after the Syracuse game when he looked like he had never saw a zone defense in his life it was time to go. The whole turn the ball over and play no defense thing was never going to be able to sunstain success. You guys would be better off cutting ties with Painter and starting over..but I like Painter keep him! Haha. BTW you guys are gonna be really tough in football for as long as Brohm stays there. 

If Painter doesn’t get us past the S16 this year, I’m ready for a new coach. 

As far as football, I love Brohm and think he will do big things. He just has the “it” factor. 

19 hours ago, CapnRon said:

Let's be honest, PU is still overachieving.

i actually agree with this.  Painter does as well as he can with that program.  they are just never going to be more than a solid program that is never too down, but never nationally relevant.  in all seriousness, many down South don't even know where Purdue is.

5 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Pretty sure htd is now 6 for 6 with his new formula.  Who is going to make money today off of his prognostications?

I am staying away from his UK/Bama prediction..........Roll Tide, and I can't even believe I said that.

3 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i actually agree with this.  Painter does as well as he can with that program.  they are just never going to be more than a solid program that is never too down, but never nationally relevant.  in all seriousness, many down South don't even know where Purdue is.

Your last sentence makes me laugh every time I read it. Is it supposed to be a dig on Purdue? 

A. What constitutes many?

B. Even if they aren’t 100% sure where it’s located, they at least know about Purdue and it’s reputation.  

There will always be people who aren’t sure where colleges are when the name of the state isn’t in the school name. That’s obvious. Doesn’t mean it’s a negative against the school. 

Also, how do you define nationlly relevant? 

26 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Your last sentence makes me laugh every time I read it. Is it supposed to be a dig on Purdue? 

A. What constitutes many?

B. Even if they aren’t 100% sure where it’s located, they at least know about Purdue and it’s reputation.  

There will always be people who aren’t sure where colleges are when the name of the state isn’t in the school name. That’s obvious. Doesn’t mean it’s a negative against the school. 

Also, how do you define nationlly relevant? 

What's Purdues reputation? Losing in the first round? Lol 

23 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

If Painter doesn’t get us past the S16 this year, I’m ready for a new coach. 

As far as football, I love Brohm and think he will do big things. He just has the “it” factor. 

I seriously doubt Purdue will fire Painter if he doesn't get past the sweet 16.

I agree that Brohm is a good coach, but I don't see him staying at Purdue long.

8 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

What's Purdues reputation? Losing in the first round? Lol 

That doesn’t happen often actually (those 2 back to back years were the exception). Before that, they had the longest winning streak of first round wins (like 13 or something). I’d say their reputation is a really good regular season team who needs to breakthrough in the tournament. 

7 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

That doesn’t happen often actually (those 2 back to back years were the exception). Before that, they had the longest winning streak of first round wins (like 13 or something). I’d say their reputation is a really good regular season team who needs to breakthrough in the tournament. 

If you want Purdue to gain respect and for people to actually know were the school is you have to win in the tournament. I'm not sure I ever see it happening. For example eveeyone knows Butler and where they are from because of their back to back final fours. I'd consider Butler more relevant than Purdue. 

12 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

If you want Purdue to gain respect and for people to actually know were the school is you have to win in the tournament. I'm not sure I ever see it happening. For example eveeyone knows Butler and where they are from because of their back to back final fours. I'd consider Butler more relevant than Purdue. 

I think this whole “people don’t know where your school is” thing is overblown. I think Iu fans assume that’s the case and run with it. I don’t consider Butler more relevant than Purdue. A few good years doesn’t change that IMO. 

Purdue can win the tournament. Will it ever happen? Who knows. 

Archived