Around the B1G/NCAA

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

So how many people have you asked where Purdue is located? I’m curious to hear more about your research. 

gotta be honest... not something i put extensive time and research into.  i do not approach every person i see on the streets and ask "Hey, buddy, do you know where Purdue is located?"  

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

If we are using what SEC and ACC fans know as a barometer of anything, we should pick a new barometer. Those fans, especially in the SEC, only care about football. Basketball hardly registers and academics don't. 

i know you and i pretty much disagree about everything, but this is a strange argument to choose against me on an IU board.  anyway, i can't stand SEC and ACC fans and certainly don't agree with them often.  just stating a fact that fans where i live literally don't know where Purdouche is located.  

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

not at all.  what has Purdouche done recently that the nation would notice them?  Butler?  not really a question.  not a generalization.  

To be fair, the majority of Americans probably don't pay close enough attention to sports to be able to locate a college because of it. Purdue carries a very heavy stick in the academic world. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

To be fair, the majority of Americans probably don't pay close enough attention to sports to be able to locate a college because of it. Purdue carries a very heavy stick in the academic world. 

again, strange argument when talking about sports fans.  i would argue that most sports fans know where good programs are located.  

2 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i know you and i pretty much disagree about everything, but this is a strange argument to choose against me on an IU board.  anyway, i can't stand SEC and ACC fans and certainly don't agree with them often.  just stating a fact that fans where i live literally don't know where Purdouche is located.  

I didn't quote you, just making the statement that what ACC and SEC fans know isn't a good baromoter of anything. Especially SEC fans that don't care about basketball. 

I even said especially SEC fans which wouldn't really pertain to anything you've said, would it?

Just now, KoB2011 said:

I didn't quote you, just making the statement that what ACC and SEC fans know isn't a good baromoter of anything. Especially SEC fans that don't care about basketball. 

I even said especially SEC fans which wouldn't really pertain to anything you've said, would it?

Basketball season is just something to pass the time with until spring football for them. 

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

sure.  buddy.  i'm sure you're right.  

11 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I thought you just said you don’t put extensive time/research into it and don’t ask a lot of people where Purdue is. So who are these fans that literally don’t know where Purdue is? And those same people know where Butler is?

Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

Basketball season is just something to pass the time with until spring football for them. 

It definitely is. I was at an LSU booster event the year IU was number one and they couldn't understand why I wanted to go watch our game. They didn't even know we were good. 

This was a room full of people that clearly don't know anything that happens outside the region they live in, and that is the sports fans. Of course the average person that doesn't obsess over sports isn't going to know any better. 

It definitely is. I was at an LSU booster event the year IU was number one and they couldn't understand why I wanted to go watch our game. They didn't even know we were good. 

This was a room full of people that clearly don't know anything that happens outside the region they live in, and that is the sports fans. Of course the average person that doesn't obsess over sports isn't going to know any better. 

Not surprising. I’d even go as far as saying at a lot of those schools, these are their priorities:

1. Football

2. Spring football

3. Baseball

4. Basketball 

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I thought you just said you don’t put extensive time/research into it and don’t ask a lot of people where Purdue is. So who are these fans that literally don’t know where Purdue is? 

again, i'm sorry to say i can't give you exact numbers.  and no, i don't ask everyone that i see.  you want specific names of people i have spoken to and said they didn't know?  Bill Smith, Jim Jackson, Mike Johnson, don't know what else to tell you man.  i'm not making it up.

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

sure.  buddy.  i'm sure you're right.  

I'm positive I'm right. I didn't quote you, do you think I did?

You are stating it's a fact that people don't know where Purdue is where you live based on anecdotal evidence you even admit to not having much of. Then attacking me for a post that just made a general point  and claiming I picked a fight with you. 

I am gonna chime in on this as guy that travels for work.  It really might be surprising to a lot of people in this state how many people on the East coast, ACC land, the South, the left coast........that have no idea where Purdue, Butler, and even Notre Dame are located.  Many know the state......but don't know the town/city.

I'm positive I'm right. I didn't quote you, do you think I did?

You are stating it's a fact that people don't know where Purdue is where you live based on anecdotal evidence you even admit to not having much of. Then attacking me for a post that just made a general point  and claiming I picked a fight with you. 

hey.  sorry again.  i'm sure you are right.  and sorry for attacking you.  i do admit that i haven't asked the majority of the residents of "the South."  i should have been more clear.  i have sppken with basketball fans in the southern region of the United States and they have admitted to not knowing where Purdouche is located.  sorry if i was misleading or disagreed (God forbid) with anything that you have to say.  you are the almighty.  i ask for forgiveness.  

4 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Not surprising. I’d even go as far as saying at a lot of those schools, these are their priorities:

1. Football

2. Spring football

3. Baseball

4. Basketball 

I beg to disagree......somewhere there you left out the football signing period!

1 minute ago, Dr. Jones said:

Depending on who you ask you may get a deer in the headlights look when asking them to locate:

Stanford, Gonzaga, Vanderbilt, Northwestern or any team from the Big East

Absolutely.............add Duke and Wake Forest to that list.

Archived