Around the B1G/NCAA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Stlboiler23 said:

So he’s not a really good player who can win BPOY? He’s in the conversation for it this year and has a legit chance to next year. What am I missing here? 

I don't think he's a really good player and I don't think he's in the conversation for BPOY. Good player... Not a BPOY candidate and should have got a technical for the throat slash. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't think he's a really good player and I don't think he's in the conversation for BPOY. Good player... Not a BPOY candidate and should have got a technical for the throat slash. 

Yikes. The dude locked up All-B1G first team tonight. To me, that obviously means he’s a really good player. Is it because he plays for Purdue?

That’d be like me saying Juwan isn’t a really good player. It’s crazy because obviously he is and I can admit that even as a Purdue fan. 

Edwards was sick tonight.  He would have to truly become a point guard in the NBA but his strength and athleticism will get him on a team.  He could be like a kemba or IT.  He has a better body, crazy ups, tonight he hit a few 23 footers.  He doesn't take plays off.  I like his interview skills.  

If he carries this team through March, gotta at least entertain the idea of striking while it's hot.  Could play into early 2nd round.  

2 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Yea anyone who says Carson Edwards is not good well thier probably right.. he is great. Wonder if he will go pro early. 

Giving up 80 some points to Illinois is not good! Hass was lost on D all night 

I don’t know if I can take anyone seriously if their stance is C Edwards isn’t a great player. You can lie to the world but you can’t lie to yourself. I wish we had him but since we don’t I hope he gets major NBA buzz and leaves. I want no part of that kid for the next two years. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves. 

3 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Yea anyone who says Carson Edwards is not good well thier probably right.. he is great. Wonder if he will go pro early. 

Giving up 80 some points to Illinois is not good! Hass was lost on D all night 

Could see him testing the NBA waters but would be surprised if he left. 

Yeah 80 isn’t good but Haas being lost on D isn’t new haha. 

9 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Edwards was sick tonight.  He would have to truly become a point guard in the NBA but his strength and athleticism will get him on a team.  He could be like a kemba or IT.  He has a better body, crazy ups, tonight he hit a few 23 footers.  He doesn't take plays off.  I like his interview skills.  

If he carries this team through March, gotta at least entertain the idea of striking while it's hot.  Could play into early 2nd round.  

Agree on him having to become a point guard. If he has a tournament a la Shabazz Napier I could see him leaving. 

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

Just curious, if you don’t think Carsen is a really good player, who is a really good player in conference? 

I just finished watching the game since I couldn’t watch it live and I’m not sure what you’re watching but Carsen was incredible. He hit 3’s,  mid-range jumpers,  dunked it twice, and was outstanding. For you to say he’s not a really good player is beyond laughable. 

5 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

I don’t know if I can take anyone seriously if their stance is C Edwards isn’t a great player. You can lie to the world but you can’t lie to yourself. I wish we had him but since we don’t I hope he gets major NBA buzz and leaves. I want no part of that kid for the next two years. Anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves. 

Agree 100%. Minus him leaving early haha

13 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Could see him testing the NBA waters but would be surprised if he left. 

Yeah 80 isn’t good but Haas being lost on D isn’t new haha. 

I really could see Carson leaving after this year If he continues this play like this it may be his best opportunity to leave. Even though he is really good there will be an effect from graduating 4 really good seniors around him. He will be at the very top of everyone's scouting reports next year with less weapons around him to help relieve the pressure. 

Thomas Bryant is a good example. His life was made easy his freshman year playing with Yogi and the crew and if he left after that season he prlly would of been a first round draft pick. He decided to stay and got exposed a little more his sophomore season because Yogi wasn't there to dish him all those great looks and he dropped in the draft. 

It's all about timing. You gotta know when to pull the trigger and this might be it for Carson. 

I still don't see Purdue going far. Illinois did a terrible job of guarding the three point line. They could of won that game. 

3 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

I really could see Carson leaving after this year If he continues this play like this it may be his best opportunity to leave. Even though he is really good there will be an effect from graduating 4 really good seniors around them. He will be at the very top of everyone's scouting reports next year with less weapons around him to help relieve the pressure. 

Thomas Bryant is a good example. His life was made easy his freshman year playing with Yogi and the crew and if he left after that season he prlly would of been a first round draft pick. He decided to stay and got exposed a little more his sophomore season because Yogi wasn't there to dish him all those great looks and he dropped in the draft. 

It's all about timing. You gotta know when to pull the trigger and this might be it for Carson. 

I still don't see Purdue going far. Illinois did a terrible job of guessing the three point line. They could of won that game. 

Big difference between Bryant and Carsen is that Carsen can get his own shot at any point in time. Sure opposing coaches will know he’s the main guy but that doesn’t mean they can stop it. 

Disagree on the going far part. Purdue won a tough game without one of their studs. Not sure why that means Purdue won’t go far. Sure it can happen but they’re playing better lately. 

14 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Big difference between Bryant and Carsen is that Carsen can get his own shot at any point in time. Sure opposing coaches will know he’s the main guy but that doesn’t mean they can stop it. 

Disagree on the going far part. Purdue won a tough game without one of their studs. Not sure why that means Purdue won’t go far. Sure it can happen but they’re playing better lately. 

I'm looking at the big picture not just the Illinois game in why I think there is a good chance of them being upset. 

One positve for your squad is Vince being dinged up. How is that a positive? Well it forces other players like Carson to step up and grow because someone has to replace Vince minutes, shots, and leadership. Now you hope you can plug Vince back in and he takes off like he never left. 

You are correct with Bryant and Carson. A better example would be Melo Trimble. Dude should of left his freshmen year when everyone was high on him. He stayed got exposed a little bit and everyone went stale on him. 

I see him leaving as a real possibility unless he gets poor feedback. Next year is a tough comparison. He'll get everybody's best and Harms isn't going to command the attention down low that Haas does.  Say what you want about him getting his...Trae Young is a cautionary tale that shows what happens when opposing coaches realize that if they can shut down one guy, the rest of the team will not beat them.  We'll see, but I'm skeptical that he's not going to find next year a tad more challenging.

19 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

So he’s not a really good player who can win BPOY? He’s in the conversation for it this year and has a legit chance to next year. What am I missing here? 

Wasn't the discussion that he was a front runner for POY? That's a big difference than him being capable of winning it. 

11 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Wasn't the discussion that he was a front runner for POY? That's a big difference than him being capable of winning it. 

It started as that but btown doubled down and said “I don’t think he’s a really good player” which is insane.  

Regardless, he’s likely in the top 2 or 3 to win it this year you know? Katz said it’s 1/2 for BTPOY between KBD and Carsen. 

1 minute ago, Stlboiler23 said:

It started as that but btown doubled down and said “I don’t think he’s a really good player” which is insane.  

Regardless, he’s likely in the top 2 or 3 to win it this year you know? Katz said it’s 1/2 for BTPOY between KBD and Carsen. 

I agree that he's a really good player. I think he could win it this year and not be a front runner next year to win it. It's really hard to win a Player of the Year award on a team that isn't at the top of the league. 

Archived