Around the B1G/NCAA

Arizona just beat UCLA in OT 78-67 and UCA went the whole OT without scoring.  It was on the Pac 10 network and Walton was doing the game and for some reason he was a lot better on that network.  It might have to do with his partner on the ESPN where Walton does his thing to get on his nerves.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Grayson Allen gets a flagrant one for tripping with his butt...lol...

Grayson Allen should never play college basketball again. 

Coach K, who has many faults, has tunnel vision on this and doesn't see Grayson is hurting his own legacy. I'm not the only person who has my opinion of K colored by his lack of handling of Grayson. 

24 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Grayson Allen should never play college basketball again. 

Coach K, who has many faults, has tunnel vision on this and doesn't see Grayson is hurting his own legacy. I'm not the only person who has my opinion of K colored by his lack of handling of Grayson. 

It’s really bad. Not sure why he’s still playing. 

31 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

It’s really bad. Not sure why he’s still playing. 

Because K is thinking more about winning than doing what is right.  I'd like to think the universe doesn't reward such motivation but, unfortunately, I don't think it matters either way.  

I just hope people remember that in K's final years he allowed one of the dirtiest players in modern basketball to repeatedly put players safety at risk.  K is probably the greatest winner of all time, but I hope people stop pretending he is the beacon of morality and leadership we used to think he was. 

11 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Because K is thinking more about winning than doing what is right.  I'd like to think the universe doesn't reward such motivation but, unfortunately, I don't think it matters either way.  

I just hope people remember that in K's final years he allowed one of the dirtiest players in modern basketball to repeatedly put players safety at risk.  K is probably the greatest winner of all time, but I hope people stop pretending he is the beacon of morality and leadership we used to think he was. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/watch-dukes-grayson-allen-knocked-a-north-carolina-player-over-with-his-butt/

I don't like the guy either, but it appears as though the UNC players didn't think it was a big deal.

17 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I wonder what the selection committee will do with Middle Tennessee St.  they were ranked but lost in the first round of their conference tournament so if they don't make I that will be another NIT slot gone.

My guess is they aren't gonna make it to the NCAAT.

43 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/watch-dukes-grayson-allen-knocked-a-north-carolina-player-over-with-his-butt/

I don't like the guy either, but it appears as though the UNC players didn't think it was a big deal.

Any other player and it's no big deal. Allen's reputation gets him in trouble about as much as the actual act. Very possible that play isn't even reviewed with another player. Not saying it wasn't dirty...just saying that I don't think it would be caught with another player.

1 hour ago, Coach1K said:

This happened in a high school game.

Reminds me of a play when I was in college. The team we we’re playing was inbounding the ball underneath their own basket. I picked up their point guard full court and plucked him right at the foul line and took one dribble and went up for a layup right in the middle of the lane and as I was in the air the point guard yanked both my shoulders backwards from behind. 

I fell backwards on my back with my right knee bent underneath me. Kid got an intentional foul. I was ticked he wasn’t ejected. I was able able to finish the game, but was sore the next day and couldn’t play (it was a weekend tournament). Luckily I avoided any major injury. 

All these years later i’m still a little ticked nobody on my team got any retaliation. 

That reminds me of a sequence that occurred during sectional week here in Indiana.

Blue River, a 1A school, was up by about 10 with a minute left in their opening game, when their senior starting point guard went in for a layup. A player on the opposing team shoved him into the wall, where he tore his ACL. Season over, career over. He had to watch their last two games from the bench, including a sectional title game loss on their home court. 

Then, in perhaps an even more despicable display that seriously makes me wonder what's happened to society, a player on the team that beat them in the sectional final posted a picture on Instagram of the injured player crying on the bench at the end of the game while his father, who was also the head coach, had his arm around him, and wrote a caption that said "Ha ha ha eff you Blue River." The post was deleted a short time later. Mind you, the player who did this played for a Catholic school. I'm sure that went over well with his principal, coach and parents.

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

The hip check was significantly more dirty than this. I can see a case that this wasn't even a foul versus intentionally hip checking a guy behind the play. 

Wow. No just no.. the hip check wouldn't have even been a foul if it wasn't Grayson Allen. He's dirty. Nothing more, nothing less. 

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

That reminds me of a sequence that occurred during sectional week here in Indiana.

Blue River, a 1A school, was up by about 10 with a minute left in their opening game, when their senior starting point guard went in for a layup. A player on the opposing team shoved him into the wall, where he tore his ACL. Season over, career over. He had to watch their last two games from the bench, including a sectional title game loss on their home court. 

Then, in perhaps an even more despicable display that seriously makes me wonder what's happened to society, a player on the team that beat them in the sectional final posted a picture on Instagram of the injured player crying on the bench at the end of the game while his father, who was also the head coach, had his arm around him, and wrote a caption that said "Ha ha ha eff you Blue River." The post was deleted a short time later. Mind you, the player who did this played for a Catholic school. I'm sure that went over well with his principal, coach and parents.

In my experience... the private schools are worse behaved then the public's when it comes to sportsmanship and it's not even close. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Reminds me of a play when I was in college. The team we we’re playing was inbounding the ball underneath their own basket. I picked up their point guard full court and plucked him right at the foul line and took one dribble and went up for a layup right in the middle of the lane and as I was in the air the point guard yanked both my shoulders backwards from behind. 

I fell backwards on my back with my right knee bent underneath me. Kid got an intentional foul. I was ticked he wasn’t ejected. I was able able to finish the game, but was sore the next day and couldn’t play (it was a weekend tournament). Luckily I avoided any major injury. 

All these years later i’m still a little ticked nobody on my team got any retaliation. 

That dude does that to one of my teammates it's on. He at minimum catches one right hook. 

32 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Wow. No just no.. the hip check wouldn't have even been a foul if it wasn't Grayson Allen. He's dirty. Nothing more, nothing less. 

Sorry man but I completely disagree. I'm not Allen so I can't speak to his intentions, but based on his past I have a guess. What do you think be was trying to do when he stuck his hip out at a guy running full speed behind the play?

29 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Sorry man but I completely disagree. I'm not Allen so I can't speak to his intentions, but based on his past I have a guess. What do you think be was trying to do when he stuck his hip out at a guy running full speed behind the play?

Be dirty. He's absoustely dirty. But it wasn't egregious at all. 

28 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Be dirty. He's absoustely dirty. But it wasn't egregious at all. 

I never said it was egregious. I said it was dirty and you just agreed. Unless you're saying the Berry play, where two guys are going after a loose ball and collided (which would be rich since you don't think lowering your shoulder or pushing off a defender in legal guarding position is even a foul), then I don't see what the issue is with me saying the Allen play was significantly more dirty. Anything dirty compared to not dirty is significantly more dirty. 

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

That dude does that to one of my teammates it's on. He at minimum catches one right hook. 

Yeah, I was pretty ticked. I would have taken a shot later in the game, but my parents were in the stands and I knew they’d be disappointed if I retaliated. 

On a bright note, just got done live streaming my alma mater as they advanced to the Sweet Sixteen of the Division 2 tournament. Beat the #1 see in their region by 20 on their home floor! 

Archived