Around the B1G/NCAA

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

Reminds me of a play when I was in college. The team we we’re playing was inbounding the ball underneath their own basket. I picked up their point guard full court and plucked him right at the foul line and took one dribble and went up for a layup right in the middle of the lane and as I was in the air the point guard yanked both my shoulders backwards from behind. 

I fell backwards on my back with my right knee bent underneath me. Kid got an intentional foul. I was ticked he wasn’t ejected. I was able able to finish the game, but was sore the next day and couldn’t play (it was a weekend tournament). Luckily I avoided any major injury. 

All these years later i’m still a little ticked nobody on my team got any retaliation. 

See, you should've played hockey. Retaliation as a question? Naah. 

I remember a game where this guy got his stick blade around the front of one of my teammates' skates -- and he then flipped over in a somersault onto his back, and the guy then manages to land on him elbow in the face. He does his obligatory time in the penalty box, then he's back.

Next several plays -- I catch him, going full speed, as he tries to curl around behind the goal, full on check, shoulder up and under throwing him into the glass. He gets up, gets the puck back a few plays later, another of my teammates "accidentally" catches him looking backwards for the puck on the break, at the blue line. I think he saw stars for a while. He's back up in the 3rd period, two of us hit him simultaneously as he tries to move the puck down the boards. So, bench clearance ensues, he ends up on the wrong side of a bloody nose. 

Now is this maybe a tad violent? Heck yeah, and sometimes I kind of wish we could have a little of that in bball, lol. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

See, you should've played hockey. Retaliation as a question? Naah. 

I remember a game where this guy got his stick blade around the front of one of my teammates' skates -- and he then flipped over in a somersault onto his back, and the guy then manages to land on him elbow in the face. He does his obligatory time in the penalty box, then he's back.

Next several plays -- I catch him, going full speed, as he tries to curl around behind the goal, full on check, shoulder up and under throwing him into the glass. He gets up, gets the puck back a few plays later, another of my teammates "accidentally" catches him looking backwards for the puck on the break, at the blue line. I think he saw stars for a while. He's back up in the 3rd period, two of us hit him simultaneously as he tries to move the puck down the boards. So, bench clearance ensues, he ends up on the wrong side of a bloody nose. 

Now is this maybe a tad violent? Heck yeah, and sometimes I kind of wish we could have a little of that in bball, lol. 

I would love more of that in basketball! Anyone remember tmwhen Artest went at Kobe?

I wish more guys would do this when the refs screw up. And I wish the refs would get held accountable so they can't just take the easy way out like they did here. The guy who out an elbow to a throat got nothing and the guy who stood up for himself, after pleading to the officials, gets tossed. It's typical BS officiating. 

12 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I never said it was egregious. I said it was dirty and you just agreed. Unless you're saying the Berry play, where two guys are going after a loose ball and collided (which would be rich since you don't think lowering your shoulder or pushing off a defender in legal guarding position is even a foul), then I don't see what the issue is with me saying the Allen play was significantly more dirty. Anything dirty compared to not dirty is significantly more dirty. 

Berrys was semi dirty, but had a ton of contact and is absolutely a foul. Borderline excessive contact. I do think pushing off and or lowering your shoulder is a foul. It just didn't happen up at Iowa, idk what to tell you on that one. Allen is a common foul, nothing more.

It really looked like the end of Berrys play he was trying to send a message to Guy. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Berrys was semi dirty, but had a ton of contact and is absolutely a foul. Borderline excessive contact. I do think pushing off and or lowering your shoulder is a foul. It just didn't happen up at Iowa, idk what to tell you on that one. Allen is a common foul, nothing more.

So to summarize two guys going for the ball colliding is semi dirty because Joel Berry is stronger than Kyle Guy but Grayson Allen hip checking a guy away from the ball with the sole purpose of taking him out of a play he wasn't in is just a common foul. One was a basketball play and one hasn't. One was a guy running and jumping at a ball, one was a guy stopping and sticking his hip in an unnatural motion. 

We will just have to agree to disagree about which was dirty. 

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Man...UCLA looking pathetic.  Down 28-23 to the Bonnies at the half.

Color guy actually said that this may be Alford's best coaching season at UCLA.O.o

Kris Wilkes didn't start for disciplinary reasons. Maybe he got an early start on agent/pro career? He did enter game though. 3 points and 3 turnovers.

Wow...what a LOUSY job of coaching by Alford.  At the end of the game, he calls two plays in a row where Holliday very predictably drives to the hole.  First play, he gets triple teamed and turns it over. Second time, offensive foul.  Now just a few seconds from the end, he chicken wings the guy guarding him and fouls out (did the same thing earlier and got by with it).   Alford has to drill it in his head to pass the ball when he gets double and triple teamed.

Just a really bad job of coaching.  I am so glad Alford was never a serious candidate for the IU job.

How's that UCLA decision working out for you, Chris Wilkes?

24 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Anyone still want Steve Alford? He almost made it to the big boy bracket. 

Steve Alford left one legacy when he finished at IU, that will forever haunt him, in terms of coming back home.  It was not for his on the court skills.  Nor was it for his coaching skills in D-1 basketball.  It was his people skills.... and so many people he pissed off while a player at IU. And later on as HC at Iowa.  That legacy, alone is the reason why not only is he not currently the HC at Indiana.... but the reason why, when the position came open... he was not even given a call by the administration...... despite Dan Dakich's protestations that Steve should have become HC at IU. 

Let that be a lesson to all the young players today.  Treat people kindly, as you move up in the ranks. As you never know, if and when not treating people kindly will come back to bite you. 

I'll echo other sentiments. How's that decision working for you Kris Wilkes? One and done? Alienate your connections back home. Good luck with you feeling comfortable on UCLA will be able to better "brand"  you for successful pro career.

Meanwhile our guys Vic, Yogi, Troy, OG, Cody,etc....all earning. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll echo other sentiments. How's that decision working for you Kris Wilkes? One and done? Alienate your connections back home. Good luck with you feeling comfortable on UCLA will be able to better "brand"  you for successful pro career.

Meanwhile our guys Vic, Yogi, Troy, OG, Cody,etc....all earning. 

Westbrook, Love, Collison, Ariza, LaVine, Holiday are earning as well. Not disagreeing with the Wilkes bashing, but our guys are not earning as much as UCLA guys.

39 minutes ago, IUaic said:

Westbrook, Love, Collison, Ariza, LaVine, Holiday are earning as well. Not disagreeing with the Wilkes bashing, but our guys are not earning as much as UCLA guys.

Didn't mean to break it into a balance sheet debate. I didn't list Gordon either but because that was 10 years ago. I meant recent graduates. Guess I should have qualified my answer. Wilkes said UCLA/Alford would help him brand his start to NBA career. Of the players you listed only the last two have been in the last 5 years, right? So in full fairness I should say of the players I listed they are earning FAR more than anything UCLA has produced in the last 5 years. Does that work?

13 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Wow...what a LOUSY job of coaching by Alford.  At the end of the game, he calls two plays in a row where Holliday very predictably drives to the hole.  First play, he gets triple teamed and turns it over. Second time, offensive foul.  Now just a few seconds from the end, he chicken wings the guy guarding him and fouls out (did the same thing earlier and got by with it).   Alford has to drill it in his head to pass the ball when he gets double and triple teamed.

Just a really bad job of coaching.  I am so glad Alford was never a serious candidate for the IU job.

How's that UCLA decision working out for you, Chris Wilkes?

And we thought getting shut down by the Syracuse zone in the Sweet 16 was a bad coaching job by Crean.  Alford just got destroyed by the St. Bonaventure zone in the First Four, lol.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Didn't mean to break it into a balance sheet debate. I didn't list Gordon either but because that was 10 years ago. I meant recent graduates. Guess I should have qualified my answer. Wilkes said UCLA/Alford would help him brand his start to NBA career. Of the players you listed only the last two have been in the last 5 years, right? So in full fairness I should say of the players I listed they are earning FAR more than anything UCLA has produced in the last 5 years. Does that work?

I probably misunderstood your post, but I think Wilkes probably saw what was going on with the Ball kid before he got to UCLA and wanted that for himself. I, for one, am thankful as hell we have never had that kind of side show at IU. 

12 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

And we thought getting shut down by the Syracuse zone in the Sweet 16 was a bad coaching job by Crean.  Alford just got destroyed by the St. Bonaventure zone in the First Four, lol.

It was.

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Yeah yeah yeah, I agree of course.  My point was that the game Alford just coached was worse.

I agree, Alford coached a poor game.

In saying that.... his team was one of the last to get into the tournament...playing against a team that has been on a hot streak who were gunning to beat a Power 5 team. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they beat Florida tomorrow.

We  were the #1 team for much of the year and were expected to go much deeper than the Sweet 16. 

Fair comparison, and I am not advocating for Alford at all, but circumstances were different.

Archived