Around the B1G/NCAA

I don'f fully understand all of the negative vibes about Steve Alford ? Things have happened while Steve has been coaching at UCLA like that silly business with The Balls { Father and sons] !! However , I think Steve has had to deal with some injuries [ along with some other small problems } I think the problem with the UCLA Coaching Job after Sam Gilbert BOUGHT PlAYERS FOR OLD SLEAZY WEASEL JOHN "PUDDINGHEAD" Wooden  , UCLA Fans expect for every UCLA Coach to do what Sam Gilbert & Wooden did during their TWELVE YEARS OF SHAME , I GUESS ! Kind of like coaches at INDIANA UNIVERSITY following in  ROBERT MONTGOMERY KNIGHT'S SHOES ?????????? The past is the PAST , we can only live in the PRESENT ( such as that is ) !!

P.S. And we can hope that we learn something POSITIVE from the past for the PRESENT ??

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

I agree, Alford coached a poor game.

In saying that.... his team was one of the last to get into the tournament...playing against a team that has been on a hot streak who were gunning to beat a Power 5 team. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they beat Florida tomorrow.

We  were the #1 team for much of the year and were expected to go much deeper than the Sweet 16. 

Fair comparison, and I am not advocating for Alford at all, but circumstances were different.

Really not interested in rehashing the Syracuse loss, as we’ve all been over it a billion times.  But the simple fact that UCLA was one of the last teams in the field is an indictment of Alford, not a point in his favor.  They’re a veteran team stocked with 4 and 5 star talent this season, and they just lost to a mid-major in the First Four.  Crean lost to a 4 seed Syracuse that had multiple NBA players in the Sweet 16.  I don’t think there’s any way you can argue that Alford’s loss last night wasn’t much, much worse.

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Really not interested in rehashing the Syracuse loss, as we’ve all been over it a billion times.  But the simple fact that UCLA was one of the last teams in the field is an indictment of Alford, not a point in his favor.  They’re a veteran team stocked with 4 and 5 star talent this season, and they just lost to a mid-major in the First Four.  Crean lost to a 4 seed Syracuse that had multiple NBA players in the Sweet 16.  I don’t think there’s any way you can argue that Alford’s loss last night wasn’t much, much worse.

Alford's coaching last night was bad and very predictable.  The plays ran AFTER time outs last night at the end of the game were not really plays at all and were easily defensed.  I thought I posted at least a couple of more posts on the subject last night but those posts either mysteriously disappeared or else I screwed up posting them, but one of the main points I made was that I've not seen many coaches get less from more than Alford.  Considering the talent he's been reeling in, he's underachieved pretty badly.  He could have definitely used dad on the bench last night.

1 hour ago, hoosiertildeath said:

I don'f fully understand all of the negative vibes about Steve Alford ? Things have happened while Steve has been coaching at UCLA like that silly business with The Balls { Father and sons] !! However , I think Steve has had to deal with some injuries [ along with some other small problems } I think the problem with the UCLA Coaching Job after Sam Gilbert BOUGHT PlAYERS FOR OLD SLEAZY WEASEL JOHN "PUDDINGHEAD" Wooden  , UCLA Fans expect for every UCLA Coach to do what Sam Gilbert & Wooden did during their TWELVE YEARS OF SHAME , I GUESS ! Kind of like coaches at INDIANA UNIVERSITY following in  ROBERT MONTGOMERY KNIGHT'S SHOES ?????????? The past is the PAST , we can only live in the PRESENT ( such as that is ) !!

P.S. And we can hope that we learn something POSITIVE from the past for the PRESENT ??

I don't know that it's bad vibes. Just discussing that he's a mediocre at best coach. I think some of the resentment, if there is any, is just due to the "old guard" fans constantly pushing for Alford whenever the IU job opens, despite his resume clearly not warranting it whatsoever. 

50 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don't know that it's bad vibes. Just discussing that he's a mediocre at best coach. I think some of the resentment, if there is any, is just due to the "old guard" fans constantly pushing for Alford whenever the IU job opens, despite his resume clearly not warranting it whatsoever. 

Fair statement. Maybe someday, Alford becomes the tactician we thought he would be after playing for Knight and his father Sam, who by all accounts was a good tactician as well.  In doing some self examination, I probably talk about it more because it's so surprising to me that he's so bad when I consider who his coaches and mentors were. 

If Glass wanted to tear the fanbase in half, he would have hired Alford.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Alford couldn’t win 12 games in the pathetic PAC-12 this season and lost in the First Four with a ton of talent and upperclassmen that have spent years playing in his system.  He would have been the Kevin Stallings of the Big Ten at IU this year.

29 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I saw that. How desperate is a program that thinks Rick Pitino is an attractive candidate? I think he'll be under a show cause before it's all over with.

Lol I think he was referring to Dick Jr.  The topic was “I’d like to take a flier on a coach under 40”.  And in fact, 35 year old Lil’ Ricky has won COY in his conference, does have experience at Louisville, and has won a (NIT) championship!

7 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Lol I think he was referring to Dick Jr.  The topic was “I’d like to take a flier on a coach under 40”.  And in fact, 35 year old Lil’ Ricky has won COY in his conference, does have experience at Louisville, and has won a (NIT) championship!

I'd rather take a chance on dad. At least he can coach.

...and if they seriously think Little Ricky is a good candidate for that job, they are a pretty uninformed fanbase.

I wasn’t quite sure where to put this, but I just read this in the Northwest Indiana Times, and wanted to share. Having watched “We Are Marshall”, I knew of the Marshall plane tragedy. I did not know about the Wichita State plane tragedy.  These two teams meet Friday in the first round. Sometimes it’s more than a game...

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/basketball/wichita-state-marshall-meet-years-after-plane-crashes/article_d202a2af-3fee-5a11-930e-774a8628e83f.html

2 minutes ago, MrsStoller said:

I wasn’t quite sure where to put this, but I just read this in the Northwest Indiana Times, and wanted to share. Having watched “We Are Marshall”, I knew of the Marshall plane tragedy. I did not know about the Wichita State plane tragedy.  These two teams meet Friday in the first round. Sometimes it’s more than a game...

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/basketball/wichita-state-marshall-meet-years-after-plane-crashes/article_d202a2af-3fee-5a11-930e-774a8628e83f.html

It was my first year in Colorado, when news of the Wichita State football team crash happened. I remember it to today... as every local tv, and paper ( we had two in Denver at the time) had coverage for days.

Aside from that... being an old timer. Whenever I google the paper in Hammond.... I type in .... Hammond Times. The name before it became the NWI Times.  And I have to say. They go a great on line job.  Love keeping in touch with "The Region",  reading the NWI (Hammond) TImes. 

Thanks for sharing. 

19 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

It was my first year in Colorado, when news of the Wichita State football team crash happened. I remember it to today... as every local tv, and paper ( we had two in Denver at the time) had coverage for days.

Aside from that... being an old timer. Whenever I google the paper in Hammond.... I type in .... Hammond Times. The name before it became the NWI Times.  And I have to say. They go a great on line job.  Love keeping in touch with "The Region",  reading the NWI (Hammond) TImes. 

Thanks for sharing. 

Reading that article just made my heart hurt, Mile.  I’ll be watching that game and just thinking about everyone.

Many members of my husband’s family reside in the region, and the NWI Times is still referred to as the Hammond Times. You’re right -they do a great job online! 

15 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Fair statement. Maybe someday, Alford becomes the tactician we thought he would be after playing for Knight and his father Sam, who by all accounts was a good tactician as well.  In doing some self examination, I probably talk about it more because it's so surprising to me that he's so bad when I consider who his coaches and mentors were. 

If Glass wanted to tear the fanbase in half, he would have hired Alford.

I don't think so actually. Message board fans and normal joe public fans are 2 different animals. I think Alford would have been very well received by the public. Message board world is a different animal that represents less .10% of most fan bases.

58 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't think so actually. Message board fans and normal joe public fans are 2 different animals. I think Alford would have been very well received by the public. Message board world is a different animal that represents less .10% of most fan bases.

But we're the ones that really count, right????  9_9

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I think the majority of non-message board fans under 30 would not have been happy.

10 hours ago, MrsStoller said:

Reading that article just made my heart hurt, Mile.  I’ll be watching that game and just thinking about everyone.

Many members of my husband’s family reside in the region, and the NWI Times is still referred to as the Hammond Times. You’re right -they do a great job online! 

You know what I love best about the Hammond Times, vs the Gary Post Tribune ?   No paywalls !

Archived