Around the B1G/NCAA

5 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I think the majority of non-message board fans under 30 would not have been happy.

Just my opinion but most universities aren't worried about what the under 30 crowd actually thinks for obvious reasons ($).  Judging by our student section attendance over the last say 15 years....I don't think they care much either way. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just my opinion but most universities aren't worried about what the under 30 crowd actually thinks for obvious reasons ($).  Judging by our student section attendance over the last say 15 years....I don't think they care much either way. 

I doubt that. There's a reason every business and politician in the country cares about the younger audience, particularly this younger audience. 

32 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I doubt that. There's a reason every business and politician in the country cares about the younger audience, particularly this younger audience. 

Cool that you doubt that but add up donations from 30 and over and the under 30 crowd. After doing that tell me which one you would think IU or other universities would cater?

Arizona bombs out last night....looked like they didn't want to be there.

Couldn't even wait to get back to campus to let things settle a bit and both Ayton and Trier say they are going pro.

No wonder their hearts and minds weren't in the game. 

Don't know if Sean Miller is a dead man walking, but if he continues coaching he probably should reevaluate the types of kids he wants to bring into his program.

10 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Arizona bombs out last night....looked like they didn't want to be there.

Couldn't even wait to get back to campus to let things settle a bit and both Ayton and Trier say they are going pro.

No wonder their hearts and minds weren't in the game. 

Don't know if Sean Miller is a dead man walking, but if he continues coaching he probably should reevaluate the types of kids he wants to bring into his program.

Your last sentence gives me pause when we get so enamored with these 5* recruits.  Yes we need talent but what is the relative value of a 5* Freshman vs a 4* Junior or Senior who is well versed  and invested in the BB system his coach has instituted at the college level.  I agree with your last point that although you evaluate the talent;  character, drive, personality need to carry as much or more weight at the college level if you want to sustain success.  

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

What happens when the baby boomers die off?

I'm venturing way off topic, but that made me think. What happens when the baby boomers die off and the next generation is unwilling to donate money because they're still paying off their damn student loans? Maybe Mark Cuban is right about the next bubble being higher education. 

Anyhoo, back on topic: I think it'd be more than 10% of us die-hards that'd be upset about Alford. My in-laws (huge extended family) are definitely not the types to get on an internet message board (not sure they know they exist) and they all seemed to be pretty much against hiring Alford. Covering up rape allegations aside, too many people know that his performance as a coach is average at best. If he didn't have any IU ties there'd be no way he'd even get consideration to be considered as a candidate 9_9. But that's just an opinion coming from my own bubble. 

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Cool that you doubt that but add up donations from 30 and over and the under 30 crowd. After doing that tell me which one you would think IU or other universities would cater?

I can say with absolute confidence in the next 20 years the generation under 30 will give more than the older generation. 

32 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Anyhoo, back on topic: I think it'd be more than 10% of us die-hards that'd be upset about Alford. My in-laws (huge extended family) are definitely not the types to get on an internet message board (not sure they know they exist) and they all seemed to be pretty much against hiring Alford. Covering up rape allegations aside, too many people know that his performance as a coach is average at best. If he didn't have any IU ties there'd be no way he'd even get consideration to be considered as a candidate 9_9. But that's just an opinion coming from my own bubble. 

I don;'t even think it's about age, it's more about interest. If you're a real college basketball fan that pays attention, then you know that Alford is a bad hire and mediocre at best coach. If you're a casual fan that basically just pays attention to IU and doesn't really follow college basketball, then you probably think Alford would be a great hire. 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don;'t even think it's about age, it's more about interest. If you're a real college basketball fan that pays attention, then you know that Alford is a bad hire and mediocre at best coach. If you're a casual fan that basically just pays attention to IU and doesn't really follow college basketball, then you probably think Alford would be a great hire. 

I'm still amazed he got the opportunity to coach at UCLA. 

Edit: I can also credit UCLA's bad hiring decision as catapulting his value. Maybe people think, if we can steal him away from UCLA then he's good enough for IU. Obviously like you say, those people would be casual fans of college basketball. 

5 hours ago, Riverrat said:

I don't think it had anything to do with the fbi.  Arizona had issues from early in the year that kept popping up. Tons of talent that just didn't seem to gel well as a team. Who did they beat all year to earn a 4 seed?

You may have a point about fit, but I absolutely think the cloud of suspicion played a part in Arizona's performance.

1. Players who didn't get paid on the team are looking suspiciously at their teammates.
  2. Their head coach threw their buddy Book (who likely recruited at least most of them) under the bus earlier this year to try to save his job.
  3. The entire incoming class is gone.
  4. I'll bet at least most of the players have a strong suspicion their head coach is lying.  Some likely have direct knowledge he's lying.

People were pretty critical of Trier and Ayton saying they were going pro right after the game.  Absolutely that broke protocol and they should have deflected the question, but I'll bet they have a good idea what is coming and see exactly zero value in sticking around for it.

I want to give CAM's brother every benefit of the doubt, but despite some very shoddy reporting by ESPN, it looks like there is a ton of smoke there and if Sean Miller is coaching at AZ six months from now, I'll be shocked.

23 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

You may have a point about fit, but I absolutely think the cloud of suspicion played a part in Arizona's performance.

1. Players who didn't get paid on the team are looking suspiciously at their teammates.
  2. Their head coach threw their buddy Book (who likely recruited at least most of them) under the bus earlier this year to try to save his job.
  3. The entire incoming class is gone.
  4. I'll bet at least most of the players have a strong suspicion their head coach is lying.  Some likely have direct knowledge he's lying.

People were pretty critical of Trier and Ayton saying they were going pro right after the game.  Absolutely that broke protocol and they should have deflected the question, but I'll bet they have a good idea what is coming and see exactly zero value in sticking around for it.

I want to give CAM's brother every benefit of the doubt, but despite some very shoddy reporting by ESPN, it looks like there is a ton of smoke there and if Sean Miller is coaching at AZ six months from now, I'll be shocked.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/arizonas-done-and-for-sean-miller-its-going-to-get-worse-before-it-gets-better/

35 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Wow.  Trouble with a capital T in Zona land.   They may have to get some walk-ons to fill their roster next year.

Seriously, it can be done.  Look at Coach Crean's first year at IU.  He "borrowed" Kip Schutz" and one other from the baseball team, before releasing them for early season baseball practice.  Shutz actually played in six games for our Hoosiers.  Then second year team manager, Mike Santa, was given a uni, and actually played two games.

Santa Suits Up For Hoosiers

52 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Seriously, it can be done.  Look at Coach Crean's first year at IU.  He "borrowed" Kip Schutz" and one other from the baseball team, before releasing them for early season baseball practice.  Shutz actually played in six games for our Hoosiers.  Then second year team manager, Mike Santa, was given a uni, and actually played two games.

Santa Suits Up For Hoosiers

Ah yes...I remember that 6 & 25 quite well...LOL...at least you wanted to cheer for them.  That was hard for me Sampson's last year. I just didn't like the kids he had.

Archived