Around the B1G/NCAA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Lizard said:

Feel bad for Devin Davis, missing the FTs that enabled Michigan to win.    

I just find it odd that I've watched Stan and Devin both playing in the tourney today while the coach and team they originally played for are sitting at home apart from each other. Crazy how things can change in a matter of years. 

22 minutes ago, JerseyHoosier said:

Hope you're still watching. This should be interesting!

Are you kidding me?? Wow! No, I wasn’t watching but I’m ecstatic! Maybe my turning it off provided a spark 😂.. they had just missed so many baskets, like right under the basket, and I didn’t see them pulling it off. But they did! Yay!

7 hours ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

That was nuts. Great play call by Bielein

In the timeout, coach John Beilein drew up a play the Wolverines knew well.

Guard Zavier Simpson told ESPN the play is called "Indiana."

"We ran that hundreds of times this year in practice, worked on it," Simpson said in the locker room. "We definitely know that's the play."

6 hours ago, HoosierMama said:

I just saw that the play Michigan ran at the end is called “Indiana”.  Oh the irony that Sampson gets knocked out of the tourney on that.  :D  

My mistake. Hadn't scrolled down far enough yet to see you mentioned already. Oh the irony of a play getting called by Beilein/Michigan to beat Kelvin Sampson. 

14 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Keep trying to remember who on this board said how good Tony B was??  Trying to figure if it's worth the digging up. Once again...not a tournament coach nor a great one.

I said Tony Bennett was a really good coach and I stand by it.  If we are judging a coach by his worst game in the tournament then you should rethink calling many coaches great. 

Coach K makes that list a couple times, Izzo makes it, Greg Marshall, Lute Olson, Bill Self etc.  Oddly enough, Roy Williams is not on there and he has easily the best tournament success the past 15 years yet he is considered by many to not be a very good in-game coach.  

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

I said Tony Bennett was a really good coach and I stand by it.  If we are judging a coach by his worst game in the tournament then you should rethink calling many coaches great. 

Coach K makes that list a couple times, Izzo makes it, Greg Marshall, Lute Olson, Bill Self etc.  Oddly enough, Roy Williams is not on there and he has easily the best tournament success the past 15 years yet he is considered by many to not be a very good in-game coach.  

Simple stuff

13 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I may have to eat crow on the Butler coaching hire.  Butler looks like a pretty sound team.

Too early to judge with him IMO.  Gard looked great taking Ryan’s players to back-to-back Sweet 16s, and we saw how this season went for him.  Holtmann put together a good roster, we’ll see how Jordan does with his own players.

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Too early to judge with him IMO.  Gard looked great taking Ryan’s players to back-to-back Sweet 16s, and we saw how this season went for him.  Holtmann put together a good roster, we’ll see how Jordan does with his own players.

Yeah, I started out pretty negative given his lackluster resume and I still am not ready to give a final grade, but he at least appears to be a competent game manager. Butler looks like Butler so far.

15 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

We fired Crean after three Sweet 16s in five years.

He had a stretch of 3 in 5 years, but those weren’t his last 5 years. His last 4 years were:

2013-2014: Missed the NIT

2014-2015: NCAA First Round exit

2015-2016: Sweet 16

2016-2017: NIT First Round exit

Indiana University is better than that. He’ll be better with the lower expectations in Georgia. 

10 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Good move by Painter to keep Edwards in with 2 fouls - he got them back into it.  I’ve never been a fan of benching an important player when they get 2 early. 

And as I’m writing this Edwards picks up his 3rd. 

Brain fart by Painter keeping V. Edwards in ,in order to pick up his 3rd.... IMHO.   I am no coach... but with 2 minutes left and 2 fouls on my best shooter, I was thinking to myself, no way this kid hits the floor til the start of the second half. Especially with Haas unavailable.

4 minutes ago, Astrosws20 said:

He had a stretch of 3 in 5 years, but those weren’t his last 5 years. His last 4 years were:

2013-2014: Missed the NIT

2014-2015: NCAA First Round exit

2015-2016: Sweet 16

2016-2017: NIT First Round exit

Indiana University is better than that. He’ll be better with the lower expectations in Georgia. 

Don’t disagree, but you can’t really say Indiana fans would be happy with four Sweet 16s in six years when Crean went to three in five years and was fired at the end of the next season.

8 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Brain fart by Painter keeping V. Edwards in ,in order to pick up his 3rd.... IMHO.   I am no coach... but with 2 minutes left and 2 fouls on my best shooter, I was thinking to myself, no way this kid hits the floor til the start of the second half. Especially with Haas unavailable.

We'll find out the impact. I'm certain Butler will attack him every chance they can. 

Archived