Around the B1G/NCAA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Thinking about something interesting. I hate that i have to root for teams to lose because our team didnt make it but nothing would bring me more joy than to see a former Knight assistant knock out Purdue and a former Keady assistant knock out UK

Remember that Texas tech coach was the coach at Arkansas Little Rock when they beat Purdue a couple of years ago in the tournament.

21 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Full transparency. I hated the reaction Crean got with early tourney losses that I've been quick to point out many other coaches failures. Pretty silly I know but I guess that's what message boards are about. Just seems like for the first time in years I'm hearing many national folks come to the rescue of coaches with early exits. I don't remember that when Crean or others bowed out 5 years ago.

I will say this. I'm still Izzo isn't in Sweet 16 for 3rd straight year. That one is tough to fathom. 

It really highlights that anything can happen in a one-and-done game in a tourney setting. Izzo has gotten it done previously, but he's now had multiple years of underwhelming performance. Of course he's an  excellent coach (leaving aside questions raised about integrity). Good coaches lose in the tourney, it's always a crap shoot of high seeds losing.That's why I go back to looking for consistent strong regular season/conference play, and consistent tourney appearances with good seeding, as that usually results in good tourney results over time.

17 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

It really highlights that anything can happen in a one-and-done game in a tourney setting. Izzo has gotten it done previously, but he's now had multiple years of underwhelming performance. Of course he's an  excellent coach (leaving aside questions raised about integrity). Good coaches lose in the tourney, it's always a crap shoot of high seeds losing.That's why I go back to looking for consistent strong regular season/conference play, and consistent tourney appearances with good seeding, as that usually results in good tourney results over time.

I can't beat this drum enough, especially this time of year when the overreaction to coaches abilities due to one game are flying fast and furious. I think it was a different site, but I literally saw someone post after Xavier's loss some to the effect of "I always though Chris Mack was a good coach, but I guess I was wrong". Really!?!? It was one game. I don't mean that to support Mack one way or the other, but people are changing their opinions on coaches after one good win or loss. It's crazy. 

I want IU to get back to Final Fours and win another title(s) as much as everyone else, but give me a coach (and I think Archie is) that gets IU consistently competing (winning every few years) for conference titles and high tournament seeds, with the down years maybe being 4th place in the Big Ten, and I'll know we have a really good coach. The tournament will take care of itself over time. 

29 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

So weird watching the NIT played in quarters...

Penn State looking good, BTW...

I have not watched much of the game but I think Penn State could be a hand full next year if everyone comes back. They have some very nice players. I do not know what they have coming in next year but alot of talent for them. The 4 quarters would not be a bad thing for all college games adjust the number of time outs and it would work well.

11 minutes ago, loviubb said:

I have not watched much of the game but I think Penn State could be a hand full next year if everyone comes back. They have some very nice players. I do not know what they have coming in next year but alot of talent for them. The 4 quarters would not be a bad thing for all college games adjust the number of time outs and it would work well.

Agree. If Carr comes back, look out...they will be tough as nails.  They've already beat Notre Dame and Marquette on the road in this tournament.  The road doesn't bother them at all, which makes me laugh to think at how Kentucky refuses to play in Bloomington.  Penn State isn't bitching about that possibility.

...and the quarter thing doesn't bother me. It would unify men's college ball with all other basketball divisions.  It's just weird  when it's been two halves since forever.

3 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Agree. If Carr comes back, look out...they will be tough as nails.  They've already beat Notre Dame and Marquette on the road in this tournament.  The road doesn't bother them at all, which makes me laugh to think at how Kentucky refuses to play in Bloomington.  Penn State isn't bitching about that possibility.

...and the quarter thing doesn't bother me. It would unify men's college ball with all other basketball divisions.  It's just weird  when it's been two halves since forever.

4-10 min quarters. TV TOs at first dead ball under 5 in first, 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters and at the end of the first and 3rd quarter. Essentially getting rid of 2 TV TOs per game. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

4-10 min quarters. TV TOs at first dead ball under 5 in first, 2nd, 3rd and 4th quarters and at the end of the first and 3rd quarter. Essentially getting rid of 2 TV TOs per game. 

How would you do fouls? 5 fouls and straight to the double bonus like the NBA or maybe 4 fouls to 1 and 1 the 7 fouls is double bonus?

15 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

How would you do fouls? 5 fouls and straight to the double bonus like the NBA or maybe 4 fouls to 1 and 1 the 7 fouls is double bonus?

I wasn't paying close attention, but as I understood, once you hit 5 fouls in a quarter, it goes straight to two shots.

BUT...I may have not heard right.

BTW, Louisville getting drilled at home.

Now which big-name coach wants to take over a situation potentially much worse than IU's in 2008.

Considering the transgressions, it SHOULD be a lot worse, that's for certain in my mind at least.  I'm amazed that Louisville thinks a big-name coach would be interested in managing a dumpster fire of unknown magnitude.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

You crazy if you think the networks will let them get away with dropping two revenue generating opportunities. 

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

BTW, Louisville getting drilled at home.

Now which big-name coach wants to take over a situation potentially much worse than IU's in 2008.

Considering the transgressions, it SHOULD be a lot worse, that's for certain in my mind at least.  I'm amazed that Louisville thinks a big-name coach would be interested in managing a dumpster fire of unknown magnitude.

And no real recruiting base. Louisville is probably the equivalent of Evansville in HS basketball honestly. 

8 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I think they have it going to the bonus after 5 fouls in a quarter. At the end of each quarter the team fouls go back to 0.

Archived