Around the B1G/NCAA

Believe me, I will be rooting for Villanova if they get to the FF vs either Duke or Kansas. Spellman is really good, but may not be strong enough vs Bagley and Carter

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Is it? I guess there are three. 

Aside from a few coaches, the conference is filled with coaches that could be around for 20 years.  Archie is, IMO, the most promising, but I think you could go through more than three schools and see that they all have their guy for awhile. Penn State, Rutgers, Nebraska, OSU, Illini(maybe), Northwestern, Minnesota(maybe), Wisky.  I think we know what Purdue, Iowa, and Maryland have, not bad, but not great.  Of course I know that all these coaches are not going to pan out, but I bet more than three will.

34 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

I think Villanova is the team to beat and Beilein is currently the best coach in the Big Ten.  Izzo might be waning, and aside from Beilein, the Big is filled with a lot of young and promising coaches.

True dat. 

Really impressed with Beilen yet again. This guy is one in of the best in the country in tournament situations. His performance the last 5 or so years speaks for itself. 

39 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

I think Villanova is the team to beat and Beilein is currently the best coach in the Big Ten.  Izzo might be waning, and aside from Beilein, the Big is filled with a lot of young and promising coaches.

In my bracket I had Michigan and Villanova  in the championship game and I had Nova winning it all. 

My other two in the final four was Arizona and Michigan state. Originally had Virgina but after thier first round draft pick went down I backed out and went with the team I thought had most potential. Thought Michigan state could shoot it well enough to get pass Duke's zone but couldn't beat Syracuse zone.

Belien is tough! The reason i trusted them this year is because normally they are all offense and no D and your not gonna shoot it well every game in the tourney but this year they are equally as tough on D as they are on O. 

It will be imterestimg to see how Nova plays tomorrow against another in your face defense on one days rest. Gotta take a lot out you playing against WV pressure all game

18 minutes ago, IUDan93 said:

Aside from a few coaches, the conference is filled with coaches that could be around for 20 years.  Archie is, IMO, the most promising, but I think you could go through more than three schools and see that they all have their guy for awhile. Penn State, Rutgers, Nebraska, OSU, Illini(maybe), Northwestern, Minnesota(maybe), Wisky.  I think we know what Purdue, Iowa, and Maryland have, not bad, but not great.  Of course I know that all these coaches are not going to pan out, but I bet more than three will.

Sure, if that is your criteria. But guys in their 50s aren’t young coaches. 

With all SEC teams out, they finish 8-8 in the tourney.

The B1G is currently 9-3 and with Michigan still in....

I know these numbers may not mean much to some, but I do enjoy seeing the B1G do so much better than what many experts predict.  Despite the down year, it wasn't all bad.

The ACC received 9 bids.  Currently, they are 12-8 with only Duke remaining.

I like how that part of the tournament ( conference breakdown ) has panned out.

16 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

With all SEC teams out, they finish 8-8 in the tourney.

The B1G is currently 9-3 and with Michigan still in....

I know these numbers may not mean much to some, but I do enjoy seeing the B1G do so much better than what many experts predict.  Despite the down year, it wasn't all bad.

The ACC received 9 bids.  Currently, they are 12-8 with only Duke remaining.

I like how that part of the tournament ( conference breakdown ) has panned out.

SEC was still better this year though... jmo

8 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Sure, if that is your criteria. But guys in their 50s aren’t young coaches. 

I guess my overall point is that the things are shifting, or have shifted, in the conference away from years of Izzo as "the guy", and that many schools have new coaches that are young and promising.  I stand by this concept even if some of the coaches aren't all that young age-wise.  Holtmann(46), Pikiell(50), Miles(50), Chambers(47), Underwood(54), Pitino(35), Collins(43), Miller(39).  Izzo  (63), Coach K (71), Williams(67) and Boeheim(73) are all nearer to the end of coaching.  

Hidden in the games. What a move for Andy Enfield and USC. They lose an asst coach earlier in the season to FBI investigation. What's next move for them? Hire Dad (Eric Mobley) of two high profile recruits. Perfectly legal and many do it...just thought it was funny that maybe USC wanted to steer clear of any gray area for the time being. Guess not!

50 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

Would Beilein consider moving to a higher profile school like UCONN?

While UConn is thought by some to be a sleeping giant who had more tradition (National Championships) than Michigan, I’d argue UMich is the much better job. 

Michigan is in a better, wealthier conference talent and resource wise. Better recruiting area, bigger name school that has had sustained success thanks to a Beilein. Don’t think UConn is higher profile anymore, especially not after conference realignment. UConn in my opinion would be a step backward for John B. 

3 minutes ago, HoagieRoll said:

While UConn is thought by some to be a sleeping giant who had more tradition (National Championships) than Michigan, I’d argue UMich is the much better job. 

Michigan is in a better, wealthier conference talent and resource wise. Better recruiting area, bigger name school that has had sustained success thanks to a Beilein. Don’t think UConn is higher profile anymore, especially not after conference realignment. UConn in my opinion would be a step backward for John B. 

I knew he was from the New York area so that was just an example I pulled out of the air, didn't realize they had finalized the deal with Hurley, but say the fbi investigation gets somebody else canned at a blue blood type school, I would have to think beilein would be considered, and was just wondering if anyone thought he would take a job over michigan.

Maybe, but he’s 65 now and has made a home for himself at a big university and done really well there. Idk if at this point in his career he’d want to move or given the option to move to a blue blood. Plenty of young talent out there for a UCLA or Syracuse to turn to when they look for their next coach 

25 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

I knew he was from the New York area so that was just an example I pulled out of the air, didn't realize they had finalized the deal with Hurley, but say the fbi investigation gets somebody else canned at a blue blood type school, I would have to think beilein would be considered, and was just wondering if anyone thought he would take a job over michigan.

I think B is staying put. UM is now considered one of the better basketball coaching spots and he's well entrenched there with lots of success.

Archived