Around the B1G/NCAA

2 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Purdue "lost" to West Virginia in their secret scrimmage with the Mountaineers sitting out two of their best players.

At the end of the season, we will all see how over-rated Purdue is by so many of these preseason predictions.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Purdue "lost" to West Virginia in their secret scrimmage with the Mountaineers sitting out two of their best players.

CE the consensus POTY went 5-15 with 9 turnovers. 

As i have said several times the game is alot different when you are THE guy especially when you are the only guy. 

56 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

As i have said several times the game is alot different when you are THE guy especially when you are the only guy. 

I've been beating that drum since the lovefest started. He'll adjust but I don't see any way his efficiency doesn't drop this year when he's the focus of the defense.

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I've been beating that drum since the lovefest started. He'll adjust but I don't see any way his efficiency doesn't drop this year when he's the focus of the defense.

I agree with you but think about this.  We lost 4 starters after the '76 championship.  Only Benson was left....he still averaged over 20 for '76-'77.  Although he had a "side-kick" in Woody who averaged over 18.  In Purdue's case you got a stud....who is going to be his "side-kick"?  If he gets one, CE will be fine.  According to what I posted above, it very well might be that Cline fits the bill.

I think it's worth noting that CE still had 22 points so the OP's assertion that he had a terrible game because he shot 5-15 was misleading. Wasn't his best game for sure but they'll take 22 from him every night of the week especially if he's getting to the line as often as he did. I also saw that Cline had 27 off 7/12 shooting. The reason they lost was the turnovers and lack of depth. The newcomers will get better and the team will learn to play with one another. Seeing Cline go off like that so early is dangerous. I wasn't expecting much from him this season. 

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Reminds me of Robert Johnson.  He was very good when he had Yogi, JBJ, OG and Troy to set him up for wide open 3s.  When he had to the man he was average at best.

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

Reminds me of Robert Johnson.  He was very good when he had Yogi, JBJ, OG and Troy to set him up for wide open 3s.  When he had to the man he was average at best.

RoJo was no where near CE's league.  And it ain't even close.

15 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

I think it's worth noting that CE still had 22 points so the OP's assertion that he had a terrible game because he shot 5-15 was misleading. Wasn't his best game for sure but they'll take 22 from him every night of the week especially if he's getting to the line as often as he did. I also saw that Cline had 27 off 7/12 shooting. The reason they lost was the turnovers and lack of depth. The newcomers will get better and the team will learn to play with one another. Seeing Cline go off like that so early is dangerous. I wasn't expecting much from him this season. 

Total points is a crap stat. Pretty sure it was reported he made 2 Three pointers. So a total of 12 points from the field. Assuming each one was an and 1 which is doubtful he still would have gone to the line at least twice of missed shots. 

Bare minium he used 17 possessions without the full box score I’d guess 20. So 17-20 of his teams possesion  to score 22 points. Factoring in his turnovers he used 26-29 possessions. That’s a crap contribution to the points per possesion stat. 

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Total points is a crap stat. Pretty sure it was reported he made 2 Three pointers. So a total of 12 points from the field. Assuming each one was an and 1 which is doubtful he still would have gone to the line at least twice of missed shots. 

Bare minimum he used 17 possessions without the full box score I’d guess 20. So 17-20 of his teams possession  to score 22 points. Factoring in his turnovers he used 26-29 possessions. That’s a crap contribution to the points per possession stat. 

Yeah, if he shoots that kind of percentage, I'm happy to give him his 20 points.  Not efficient at all.

10 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

The Duke/UK game should be epic.  Assuming Duke wins and I think they will you should head over to Rupp Rafters at about 11:30 if you want to have a hoot.  I assure you it will be an experience.

I am very much looking forward to the State Farm Champions Classic on opening night as well.  Kinda sucks that it is in Indy and we are not playing in it.   The love fest on ESPN for duke and zion this offseason has been off the charts ridiculous.  I am looking forward to reading about something else....

Crean teaching a zone offense: "Shoot and hope it goes in. Will it in with everything you've got. Drive and hope you get fouled. Or, better yet, just beat them down the floor in transition and score before they can get their zone set!"

Guarantee whatever he told them was a more sophisticated, platitude-filled version of that.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Got to watch some highlights on YouTube of some of the big ten teams exhibition games and I saw Minnesota's new court they have.  It is a white looking color wood and it made the place look a lot different.

Still a raised court, I presume.  Like they say.... you can always put lipstick on a pig.  But it still is a pig. 

Archived