Around the B1G/NCAA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said it from day one of the Carson slobberfest...he's going to find success a lot tougher this year without four seniors on the floor with him. In reviewing the box, Cline had an ugly night as well.  Purdue very beatable for a lot of teams if Carson is chucking 22 shots to score 23.

8 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Purdue beats Ball State tonight by just 9, failing to cover the spread. Edwards scored 23 on 8-22 shooting, 2-10 from 3. If he’s this much of a volume player against the Ball State’s of the world...

He and Cline were a combined 3-19 from 3.   I was actually surprised how Purdue looked.  They are going to struggle this year.  

1 hour ago, Fundamentals said:

And they’re considered #24 in the country?  Okay.  They won’t even finish in top half of the conference.  

And I'll probably regret this comment come February...but what are people seeing when they look at Purdue and rank them 24th? Sure...CE is a good player but as we've discussed plenty...big difference between being part of a good team and being the man on an average team.

Yet every preseason poll has them ahead of us.  I see Purdue right at 10-10 in conference play. Probably 6th or 7th.

6 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And I'll probably regret this comment come February...but what are people seeing when they look at Purdue and rank them 24th? Sure...CE is a good player but as we've discussed plenty...big difference between being part of a good team and being the man on an average team.

Yet every preseason poll has them ahead of us.  I see Purdue right at 10-10 in conference play. Probably 6th or 7th.

Their starting lineup really blows.  Cline, Eastern, and especially Eifert would barely be getting minutes in our rotation.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Their starting lineup really blows.  Cline, Eastern, and especially Eifert would barely be getting minutes in our rotation.

That's what I'm seeing. Trying not to be a homer but agree all day long yet they are ranked ahead of us in every preseason poll. Doesn't make sense.

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

The rankings are looking backwards at last season. Have to think PU will fall out soon.

6 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

At the colts game with a Purdue fan and mentioned I was excited to see Edwards and Romeo play....

He said no way we can guard Edwards (would blow past McBob) and Eastern could shut down Romeo. Okay...

In regards to Purdue, I've been expecting them to finish around 5th or 6th in the Big Ten. 

Michigan State and IU certainly will overwhelm them with too much talent. Then you've probably got Michigan...maybe Nebraska and one other team after that. I do think they are better than 500 in the big ten this year by a hair...Carsen will not cover up all shortcomings but he is still a stud at the end of the day imo.

45 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

In regards to Purdue, I've been expecting them to finish around 5th or 6th in the Big Ten. 

Michigan State and IU certainly will overwhelm them with too much talent. Then you've probably got Michigan...maybe Nebraska and one other team after that. I do think they are better than 500 in the big ten this year by a hair...Carsen will not cover up all shortcomings but he is still a stud at the end of the day imo.

Wisconsin will be better than Purdue 

1 hour ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Don’t sleep on OSU either...Holtsman will make sure that team battles and plays hard every night. They may not have the ceiling or MSU and Michigan and us but that team will probably make the tournament imo.

20 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

At the colts game with a Purdue fan and mentioned I was excited to see Edwards and Romeo play....

He said no way we can guard Edwards (would blow past McBob) and Eastern could shut down Romeo. Okay...

The one thing I will (kind of) give him is that Eastern's defense is legit.  The problem is with that is, say Eastern holds Romeo to 10-12 points...there are still a lot of weapons on the floor for IU and Romeo is smart enough to pass the ball if Eastern is having a good nigh defensively.  Unless Eastern can guard all five positions at the same time, it's almost irrelevant if he holds Romeo below his average (he's not going to shut him down...sorry, Purdue fans).  Worse yet, Eastern is limited and inconsistent on offense.  He's shown next to zero ability to shoot from outside and his driving ability will be tested against a good pack line defense.

...and Carson has struggled against defenders less capable than IU has.  He's the kind of player that will likely score 20+ on a given night, but if his efficiency is low, Purdue will struggle anyway.  I was not impressed with what I saw against Ball State, but I guess it's early.

Archived