Around the B1G/NCAA

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Interesting final from yesterday. Fresh off their road win at Illinois....Georgetown loses to Loyola Marymount. Not sure if that says more about them or Illinois at this point.

It mostly says about Ewing's coaching ability. Bringing him back to his alma mater is a nice story and I'd say he'll be able to recruit pretty well until players figure out he's not much of a coach. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

It mostly says about Ewing's coaching ability. Bringing him back to his alma matre is a nice story and I'd say he'll be able to recruit pretty well until players figure out he's not much of a coach. 

Yep. NCAA is littered with guys with names who just can't coach. Ewing is one. Mullins is another. Will be curious to see what Penny does at Memphis. He obviously has the recruiting game on point already.

43 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. NCAA is littered with guys with names who just can't coach. Ewing is one. Mullins is another. Will be curious to see what Penny does at Memphis. He obviously has the recruiting game on point already.

Not many successful centers turned head coach. Typically, its the PGs- Archie, Chris Collins, Danny Hurley etc that make the more successful transition.

24 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Yet, we had threads with over 25 posts each about...

-KenPom preseason rankings 

- Jeff Goodman preseason rankings

- National media rankings 

So some folks give credence to the preseason rankings

True.  It's always an interesting barometer of sorts.

They get half of it right and we only look at what they get wrong.  It's easy for us to see the most glaring omission as IU fans, add to that the high Purdue rankings.....

It's a recipe for making toilet paper out of many threads.

2 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Purdue blows a 10 point second half lead in the Charleston Classic championship to lose to Va Tech. 

Loved how upset the Purdue fans were when the out of bounds call with a minute left was reversed. It clearly went off Eifert's leg. Pretty easy reversal.

Purdue managed to blow double digit second half leads in two different sports this weekend. Impressive.

1 hour ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Purdue blows a 10 point second half lead in the Charleston Classic championship to lose to Va Tech. 

No surprise, it's a tale of ineffective PG play by Purdue's named point guard.  One assist and two turnovers and zero 3-point attempts.  For the life of me, I don't know why they think Eastern is a point guard.  There are several players with more assists and better A/TO ratios on that team, but they seem determined to pound that square peg into a round hole.

Carson also inefficient. 21 shots to get 26 points and 6 TO's. Boudreax much more efficient scoring.

Harms with a goose egg...zero points.  Only took one shot.

8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

No surprise, it's a tale of ineffective PG play by Purdue's named point guard.  One assist and two turnovers and zero 3-point attempts.  For the life of me, I don't know why they think Eastern is a point guard.  There are several players with more assists and better A/TO ratios on that team, but they seem determined to pound that square peg into a round hole.

Carson also inefficient. 21 shots to get 26 points and 6 TO's. Boudreax much more efficient scoring.

Harms with a goose egg...zero points.  Only took one shot.

It is to hard to put up shots when you have to keep messing with your hair.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

If I am Painter, I tell the kid to get a damn haircut.

He makes watching any game in which he is involved unwatchable. I have not had a drink in years but watching the kid makes me want to drink, cuss throw things and all kinds of things I cant type. Its easier to just not watch. I have some time until we play them to deal with all my issues before I have to see that mop flopping around and him pushing it to the side, drives me crazy just visualizing. 

13 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

He makes watching any game in which he is involved unwatchable. I have not had a drink in years but watching the kid makes me want to drink, cuss throw things and all kinds of things I cant type. Its easier to just not watch. I have some time until we play them to deal with all my issues before I have to see that mop flopping around and him pushing it to the side, drives me crazy just visualizing. 

LOL.  I am old school.  I played for a HoF HS coach.  Team rule on hair.....Out of the eyes, off the ears, and off the collar.  We went to the barbershop on a regular basis.

10 minutes ago, rico said:

LOL.  I am old school.  I played for a HoF HS coach.  Team rule on hair.....Out of the eyes, off the ears, and off the collar.  We went to the barbershop on a regular basis.

Not too many years ago we keep NEW disposable razors in the locker room and travel bag. Over the years several shaved before we left for an away game or before the JV game at home if they wanted to play. Even a few players gave some haircuts in the locker room. Sometimes we may not have played well but we looked respectable. None of that would fly today unfortunately.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

Not too many years ago we keep NEW disposable razors in the locker room and travel bag. Over the years several shaved before we left for an away game or before the JV game at home if they wanted to play. Even a few players gave some haircuts in the locker room. Sometimes we may not have played well but we looked respectable. None of that would fly today unfortunately.

My college track coach would do walk-around during team stretches the day before meets and give us the once over. His rule was you either had to have a well maintained beard or clean shaven. He kept an old razor in his bag so if you showed up to the bus you could either dry shave it off or not run that day. 

40 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

My college track coach would do walk-around during team stretches the day before meets and give us the once over. His rule was you either had to have a well maintained beard or clean shaven. He kept an old razor in his bag so if you showed up to the bus you could either dry shave it off or not run that day. 

The way it should be. This is all part of the wussification of America. Just like no dodgeball and renamed tug of war. 

Archived