Around the B1G/NCAA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Nova knocks off Florida State

I have watched Villanova twice and both times there McDonald's All American point has hardly played His name is Quinerly and I looked it up and he is averaging 3.8 points a game and has played a total of 26 minutes in 6 games.  I have seen some talked about how Romeo has not been as dominate as they thought he would be because of his ranking and this shows that just because you are an all American does not guarantee success.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I have watched Villanova twice and both times there McDonald's All American point has hardly played His name is Quinerly and I looked it up and he is averaging 3.8 points a game and has played a total of 26 minutes in 6 games.  I have seen some talked about how Romeo has not been as dominate as they thought he would be because of his ranking and this shows that just because you are an all American does not guarantee success.

Can't speak specifically on Quinerly, but I think Jay Wright is a little like Roy Williams in his hesitance to play freshmen.  Still surprising he's averaging just over 4 minutes and averaging almost a point per minute played.  Those are some odd stats to pair together.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

And Villanova lost to Furman and got beat by 30 against Michigan at home... Not to mention that Jay Wright has now made it a lot easier for other programs to negatively recruit against him when it comes to elite point guards.  Same thing is happening at UNC with Nasir Little to a certain extent.  Dumb not to play your best players.  

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Can't speak specifically on Quinerly, but I think Jay Wright is a little like Roy Williams in his hesitance to play freshmen.  Still surprising he's averaging just over 4 minutes and averaging almost a point per minute played.  Those are some odd stats to pair together.

There has been two games where he did not get off the bench at all

46 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

And Villanova lost to Furman and got beat by 30 against Michigan at home... Not to mention that Jay Wright has now made it a lot easier for other programs to negatively recruit against him when it comes to elite point guards.  Same thing is happening at UNC with Nasir Little to a certain extent.  Dumb not to play your best players.  

I don't agree. How many of these negative recruiters have 2 (Wright) or 3 (Williams) National Championships? I think I would trust both of those guys to know who their "best players" are.

Not every McDonald's AA excels at the collegiate level.

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I don't agree. How many of these negative recruiters have 2 (Wright) or 3 (Williams) National Championships? I think I would trust both of those guys to know who their "best players" are.

Not every McDonald's AA excels at the collegiate level.

LOL...I think you can take a chance when you're already getting drilled.  I understand when it's close, but Quinerly is averaging almost a point per minute in limited action.  Perhaps he's making a lot of mistakes, but it's not like your veterans were killing it anyway.

9 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

LOL...I think you can take a chance when you're already getting drilled.  I understand when it's close, but Quinerly is averaging almost a point per minute in limited action.  Perhaps he's making a lot of mistakes, but it's not like your veterans were killing it anyway.

I just think it's a tad presumptuous to question a guy with Jay Wright's resume. If the guys not getting minutes, I'm sure Wright has a reason. 

And since they got beat by Michigan and Furman, they've beaten Okie St (who just beat a ranked LSU squad) and a ranked Florida St team.

I'm sure by the end of the season, Villanova will be fine. With or without Quinnerly getting big minutes.

53 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I just think it's a tad presumptuous to question a guy with Jay Wright's resume. If the guys not getting minutes, I'm sure Wright has a reason. 

And since they got beat by Michigan and Furman, they've beaten Okie St (who just beat a ranked LSU squad) and a ranked Florida St team.

I'm sure by the end of the season, Villanova will be fine. With or without Quinnerly getting big minutes.

I agree.  RMK use to put guys in the "doghouse" all the time.  Nobody questioned him.  And on another note, we know Michigan is good....but a lot of people have forgotten already that Furman did beat Loyola as well.  The Paladins sit at 7-0(I believe).

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Oh good grief...we can't question head coaches anymore?

I'm sure he has a reason as well.  I'm just not sure it's a good reason when you are getting drilled anyway.  I'm not sure it's a great idea to keep Jake and Clifton anchored to the bench either.  I hope we never need either of them as little experience as they are getting.  I'm guessing that the games being competitive and/or the matchups being bad have kept them on the bench.  Otherwise, I can't say I understand giving your young big guys no game experience.  I understand Quinerly a lot less than a couple of raw bigs.  Maybe there's a discipline issue involved, I don't know, but I don't think Wright is above being questioned.  Sure, Villanova will likely be fine, but Wright may have a much tougher time luring high level recruits next time too.

23 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Oh good grief...we can't question head coaches anymore?

I'm sure he has a reason as well.  I'm just not sure it's a good reason when you are getting drilled anyway.  I'm not sure it's a great idea to keep Jake and Clifton anchored to the bench either.  I hope we never need either of them as little experience as they are getting.  I'm guessing that the games being competitive and/or the matchups being bad have kept them on the bench.  Otherwise, I can't say I understand giving your young big guys no game experience.  I understand Quinerly a lot less than a couple of raw bigs.  Maybe there's a discipline issue involved, I don't know, but I don't think Wright is above being questioned.  Sure, Villanova will likely be fine, but Wright may have a much tougher time luring high level recruits next time too.

Sure you can. I just disagree

14 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Tough break. Wonder how serious Romeo was about going there. If he was, he has to be really grateful he landed at IU.

Just posted an article from ESPN in the Romeo thread showing how he decided on going to IU.  If he had decided in the fall IU would not have been his pick but it would have been either KU or Vandy.

Archived