Around the B1G/NCAA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you imagine the outrage if our AD sold one of our home conference games and moved it to another venue? Ohio St at Illinois tonight is actually being played in Chicago at United Center. Little benefit for Buckeyes. I understand why Illinois is trying to play games there...but not a conference game when students are still on campus. Problem is it will really backfire because Illini are bad, it's a weeknight,etc...attendance will look awful on tv. 

35 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Can you imagine the outrage if our AD sold one of our home conference games and moved it to another venue? Ohio St at Illinois tonight is actually being played in Chicago at United Center. Little benefit for Buckeyes. I understand why Illinois is trying to play games there...but not a conference game when students are still on campus. Problem is it will really backfire because Illini are bad, it's a weeknight,etc...attendance will look awful on tv. 

Are they trying to become "Chicago's BIG team" because NW already has that written on their court

10 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

Are they trying to become "Chicago's BIG team" because NW already has that written on their court

Jim Phillips (AD for Northwestern) is probably one of the best AD's in the country. He, Fitz....and now Collins have sold that mantra and it's working. It's working so well that Illinois which is obviously still the flagship school for the state....looks petty every time they try and compete up there. 

51 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yeah...that's a dumb move. I know Illinois is really pushing to rebuild the program and position themselves for the Chicago recruits but that should be a game during fall or Christmas break if you are going to pull that....and do that in the non-conference...HCA is worth like 8pts in college basketball. All they are doing is looking bad in front of the very audience they want to impress.

10 hours ago, ButlerHoosier said:

So we see Michigan's weakness. Turn Xavier Simson into a jump shooter and don't allow him to initiate the offense. 

EXACTLY! Michigan is a streaky team. I could see them anywhere from Final 4 to out in second rd. They have a wonderful team with some EXCELLENT shooters....the key is to make the ones that can't shoot the 3 shoot....play off...and don't help off from the ones that can like Pool/Livers. I would make Matthews and Simson shoot long 2's and 3's all night and if they beat me they beat me....but I'm not allowing the others to get off. Good game by NW.....that's a team that will probably be 500 in the B1G this year...just not sure they will get enough respect to make the tournament though. NW is a school on the rise...two really good young coaches in football and basketball.....on know their disadvantages but if they continue to put money into building their programs unlike say a Vanderbilt....NW has a bright future.

49 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Don't quote me on this.  But I believe Illinois has always played a home game at the United Center.  Now, I don't know about a conference game.  Which does seem odd.

1 minute ago, rico said:

Don't quote me on this.  But I believe Illinois has always played a home game at the United Center.  Now, I don't know about a conference game.  Which does seem odd.

Always non conference on a Saturday in December. Never the total opposite. Week night, conference game. 

I lived up in Chicagoland from 2000-2012. Yeah, U of I plays at the United Center once a year as I remember, like Seeking6 said.

U of I's problem has always been the same. The only 2 hotbeds of high school basketball in that state are Chicago, where dirty recruiting is the norm, and Southwest down by St Louis. Neither area has any sense if "state pride." To most recruits in those areas, U of I is just another school.

Plus, their fans are delusional. I can't count the number that thought Illinois was one of the flagship programs of the B10. It amazed me.

Instead of taking a conference game away from campus, they should create something in Illinois similar to the Crossroads Classic here.

Illini, Northwestern, DePaul, and another school —S. Illinois or Bradley come to mind.

If they want to showcase in the Chicago market, that would benefit all the programs. Enough talent in the area so that it shouldn’t be an issue for any of them 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Jim Phillips (AD for Northwestern) is probably one of the best AD's in the country. He, Fitz....and now Collins have sold that mantra and it's working. It's working so well that Illinois which is obviously still the flagship school for the state....looks petty every time they try and compete up there. 

Yeah that is an AD that is doing things right. I saw the work they are doing for the football team....putting their money where their mouth is. Doing what they can to hold onto their good young coaches and give them a fighters chance to compete against much bigger institutions like Michigan etc.

21 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Instead of taking a conference game away from campus, they should create something in Illinois similar to the Crossroads Classic here.

Illini, Northwestern, DePaul, and another school —S. Illinois or Bradley come to mind.

If they want to showcase in the Chicago market, that would benefit all the programs. Enough talent in the area so that it shouldn’t be an issue for any of them 

Agreed. Why not Loyola Chicago?

The corruption in Illinois is pretty bad...the kids in Chicago probably aren't going to be sold to stay at home without greasing the wheels some. They've been going out of state for a long time now....then St Louis market is going to have a draw from Missouri and Kansas probably. We think it's tough to recruit in Indiana but I think we have a clear advantage compared to our neighbors to the West.

20 minutes ago, rico said:

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned.  The Sooners beat the Irish.  I think it might be a difficult year for Brey.

Yeah...I don't think they are a tournament team this year. A lot of chances to get quality wins in the ACC but I just don't see it compared to past years.

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah...I don't think they are a tournament team this year. A lot of chances to get quality wins in the ACC but I just don't see it compared to past years.

I don't see the talent there that they have had in years past.  

Archived