Around the B1G/NCAA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Looks like Minnesota despite pre-season optimism, is going to suck again.

Jordan Murphy just went down hard...if something serious happened to him, the Gophers are going to quickly go from bad to worse.

EDIT: Looks like Murphy is OK.

Bad to worse?  They did that when they hired the coach.  I wonder if they got strippers up there dressed like elves?  Something to ponder!!!!

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Minnesota's offense just SUCKS.  It's all about athleticism...there's nothing tactical about it.  Lots of one-on-one plays and ill-advised shots.  They may win this game in spite of their coach.

Amir Coffee and Jordan Murphy are legit though...very skilled.

Are you telling me Lil’ Dicky got outcoached in a Big Ten win??

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Are you telling me Lil’ Dicky got outcoached in a Big Ten win??

LOL...absolutely.  Nebraska played pretty poorly down the stretch as well.  Coffee was an absolute beast.  I think he had 32 points.  Talent will win Minnesota some games, but yeah...L'il Ricky is just a horrible coach.

Also, a pretty emotional game for Minnesota. McBrayer's mother just died from cancer.  I can only imagine how tough it was for him to play but he seemed to play pretty well too.  I don't have the stats in front of me but he played very hard.

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

LOL...absolutely.  Nebraska played pretty poorly down the stretch as well.  Coffee was an absolute beast.  I think he had 32 points.  Talent will win Minnesota some games, but yeah...L'il Ricky is just a horrible coach.

Also, a pretty emotional game for Minnesota. McBrayer's mother just died from cancer.  I can only imagine how tough it was for him to play but he seemed to play pretty well too.  I don't have the stats in front of me but he played very hard.

I caught most of the Illinois-OSU game, but just a few minutes of the Minnesota-Nebraska game (I’m only allowed to watch so much college basketball in one day, lol).    Having these Big Ten games in December has been a ton of fun... I haven’t had this much fun watching Big Ten basketball outside of IU in a while.  Good mix of veterans and young talent in the league right now, and the coaching around the conference has taken a step forward.  

4 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Can’t wait to beat Illinois by 8 while turning the ball over 20+ times at the real Assembly Hall next month, lol

"Brad Underwood is a screaming idiot".  

Not my quote.... but one I found from an Illini fan on one Illinois fan board.

Game against OSU was played at the United Center in Chicago.  Attendance was just over 5,200. Surprising, but not surprising that it was a week night, and considering Illinois' record. I understand Illinois plays one game a season in Chicago, to  attempt to influence Chicago recruits. But not much life in the expanse to help the team, when the game could have been played in what they call "The House of 'Paign", with students still on campus. And based on last night, I am not sure the Illini influenced many Chicago recruits. If anything, they influenced them not to come to the home state school, but rather opt for "Chicago's team" that resides in Evanston.

Interesting comparisons :  As of Dec. 6, Illinois is 2-7 overall. And 0-2 in conference play. While our Hoosiers are 7-2 overall. And 2-0 in conference play.

I have watched nearly every one of the Illinois games so far this season. And as much as I dislike their fans and coach, I will have to admit that so far, they have played a brutal schedule.  Which has led to the worst start in over 100 years for Illini basketball.

However, just as with Penn State, I would not get over confident by playing Illinois.  They play a in your face defense.  The kind of pressure defense that IU has shown to be bothered by so far this season. It was not just the Penn State game, but others as well, that have me concerned in terms of how IU handles pressure defense.  Having said that, there is plenty of time for Archie to work on that issue.

And nothing would please me more to have IU defeat Illinois.....unlike last year. 

I don't think I've ever witnessed a P5 program where historically there has been some success but now the play and programs are at an all time low in both football and basketball. Now the mocking and pointing at by their fans and media are at all time levels as well. When your head coach is getting mocked in year 2 for blowing up and actually showing a pulse....he's already in an uphill unwinnable battle.

PS. I love every minute of it. 

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

"Brad Underwood is a screaming idiot".  

Not my quote.... but one I found from an Illini fan on one Illinois fan board.

Game against OSU was played at the United Center in Chicago.  Attendance was just over 5,200. Surprising, but not surprising that it was a week night, and considering Illinois' record. I understand Illinois plays one game a season in Chicago, to  attempt to influence Chicago recruits. But not much life in the expanse to help the team, when the game could have been played in what they call "The House of 'Paign", with students still on campus. And based on last night, I am not sure the Illini influenced many Chicago recruits. If anything, they influenced them not to come to the home state school, but rather opt for "Chicago's team" that resides in Evanston.

Interesting comparisons :  As of Dec. 6, Illinois is 2-7 overall. And 0-2 in conference play. While our Hoosiers are 7-2 overall. And 2-0 in conference play.

I have watched nearly every one of the Illinois games so far this season. And as much as I dislike their fans and coach, I will have to admit that so far, they have played a brutal schedule.  Which has led to the worst start in over 100 years for Illini basketball.

However, just as with Penn State, I would not get over confident by playing Illinois.  They play a in your face defense.  The kind of pressure defense that IU has shown to be bothered by so far this season. It was not just the Penn State game, but others as well, that have me concerned in terms of how IU handles pressure defense.  Having said that, there is plenty of time for Archie to work on that issue.

And nothing would please me more to have IU defeat Illinois.....unlike last year. 

Illinois fans are in a bad spot... My dad is an Illinois grad, and like Seeking6 mentioned, he and his Illinois alum friends are already done with Underwood.  I was on the phone with him during the game last night, and when I mentioned Underwood’s pressure defense, he told me he was sick of “watching the players run around and foul like idiots,” lol.  The thing is, I really think Illinois will be a relatively tough out this year... Like you said, we don’t handle pressure well, and Frasier and Dosunmu are pretty good in the backcourt.  But between Underwood and Lovie’s struggles, Illinois fans aren’t feeling too optimistic about anything right now.

5 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Illinois fans are in a bad spot... My dad is an Illinois grad, and like Seeking6 mentioned, he and his Illinois alum friends are already done with Underwood.  I was on the phone with him during the game last night, and when I mentioned Underwood’s pressure defense, he told me he was sick of “watching the players run around and foul like idiots,” lol.  The thing is, I really think Illinois will be a relatively tough out this year... Like you said, we don’t handle pressure well, and Frasier and Dosunmu are pretty good in the backcourt.  But between Underwood and Lovie’s struggles, Illinois fans aren’t feeling too optimistic about anything right now.

The thing about their defense it is high reward but it also is a defense that will give up a lot as well.  The play the passing lanes and can get a lot of steals from that but if you are patient and back door them you can get some easy shots as well.  If you can take care of the ball you should be able to beat UI but with us who turns the ball over a lot you can be in trouble.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

The thing about their defense it is high reward but it also is a defense that will give up a lot as well.  The play the passing lanes and can get a lot of steals from that but if you are patient and back door them you can get some easy shots as well.  If you can take care of the ball you should be able to beat UI but with us who turns the ball over a lot you can be in trouble.

They also foul a ton... Their opponents are averaging 27.3 free throw attempts per game this season, which ranks Illinois 347th in the country.  Good thing we’re also such a good free throw shooting team, lol

Just now, FW_Hoosier said:

They also foul a ton... Their opponents are averaging 27.3 free throw attempts per game this season, which ranks Illinois 347th in the country.  Good thing we’re also such a good free throw shooting team, lol

I think they said last night they average over 23 fouls a game which was second most in the country.

With Nebraska losing to Minnesota, if we win Saturday against Louisville, Nebraska falls just outside the top 25 with this lose.  IU could be a candidate to replace them?

According to KenPom rankings from Monday, Minnesota was 52nd with 50th offense and 66th defense.  They are ranked 12th out of the 14 Big 10 teams in KenPom. 

39 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

With Nebraska losing to Minnesota, if we win Saturday against Louisville, Nebraska falls just outside the top 25 with this lose.  IU could be a candidate to replace them?

According to KenPom rankings from Monday, Minnesota was 52nd with 50th offense and 66th defense.  They are ranked 12th out of the 14 Big 10 teams in KenPom. 

It's a shame for Minnesota that they rank 324th in coaching acumen. 

Excellent talent and athleticism on that team, but I see them underachieving all season.  Had they not been riding high last night on McBrayer's emotional game, they could have easily lost that one.

27 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Is.anyone else concerned about Furman running the table and finishing the season undefeated?  

Gonzaga maybe...Furman no. If Gonzaga get's through this early part of the season unbeaten no doubt they should be unbeaten come March. Tennessee should give them a real test...UNC I doubt it.

Archived