Around the B1G/NCAA

5 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I've been to Rupp's Rafters before but the lack of grammar and misspellings were so painful to try to decipher, I never went back!

Here's a preview after any loss.  Every other post is basically "Fure Cal..Fure him now.  Mitch better be on plane to Boston right now now and he'd better not come back unless he has Brad Stevens with him."  A total sh!t show.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Good thing Nova’s 5 star point guard only got 1 minute... Their veteran players obviously have everything under control.  Former IU target Cole Swider also had a big game with 1 point, 1 rebound, and 4 fouls on 0-3 shooting in 12 minutes.

Not a good look for Jay Wright. I know he can handle it but when your 5 star PG who is only there because of Arizona problems takes to Instagram and says it was my 2nd choice for a reason?? Might as well transfer now.

I was watching "A Football Life" on Mike Holmgren and saw something interesting. When he became the QB coach (and he was far from well known then) for the 49ers, Joe Montana, who already had 2 Super Bowl rings, told him "Coach me hard." 

And I think that's the problem for a lot of these 5 stars. All they want to do is showcase their talent for the next level. They don't want to be "coached hard."

Fortunately, I don't think our coach, or our current 5 star, think that way. I think Archie coaches Romeo just like he does every other kid on the roster, and I think Romeo has bought into that.

All Archie has to do is point to a Jimmy Butler or Kawhai Leonard (their coachability at this point in their careers not withstanding) for the difference between them and every other 6'7' wing with athleticism in the NBA. They were coached hard by Thibs and Pop early in their careers, and that included understanding how important defense is.

Just a random thought for a Wednesday morning...

18 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I was watching "A Football Life" on Mike Holmgren and saw something interesting. When he became the QB coach (and he was far from well known then) for the 49ers, Joe Montana, who already had 2 Super Bowl rings, told him "Coach me hard." 

And I think that's the problem for a lot of these 5 stars. All they want to do is showcase their talent for the next level. They don't want to be "coached hard."

Fortunately, I don't think our coach, or our current 5 star, think that way. I think Archie coaches Romeo just like he does every other kid on the roster, and I think Romeo has bought into that.

All Archie has to do is point to a Jimmy Butler or Kawhai Leonard (their coachability at this point in their careers not withstanding) for the difference between them and every other 6'7' wing with athleticism in the NBA. They were coached hard by Thibs and Pop early in their careers, and that included understanding how important defense is.

Just a random thought for a Wednesday morning...

Great thought. I agree and I can attest that Romeo was coached hard at the high school level. It's not just the 5 star kids I see it from elementary school up. It's the society we live in. All parents want their kid to be great up until it means coach getting on them or pushing them harder than their comfort levelm My oldest son has been really close with Luke and Cody Zeller and they shared something with him that has stuck and I stole it and still use it today. You can be comfortable or great but you cant be both. A lot if guys want to be both 

12 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Great thought. I agree and I can attest that Romeo was coached hard at the high school level. It's not just the 5 star kids I see it from elementary school up. It's the society we live in. All parents want their kid to be great up until it means coach getting on them or pushing them harder than their comfort levelm My oldest son has been really close with Luke and Cody Zeller and they shared something with him that has stuck and I stole it and still use it today. You can be comfortable or great but you cant be both. A lot if guys want to be both 

Jimmy Johnson always said the enemy of greatness is being good. This quote has always stuck with me.  On a side note when I used to listen to his show DD always you use to preach the great one's always wanted to be coached hard. Romeo seems like he's in the group that wants to be coached.

21 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Jimmy Johnson always said the enemy of greatness is being good. This quote has always stuck with me.  On a side note when I used to listen to his show DD always you use to preach the great one's always wanted to be coached hard. Romeo seems like he's in the group that wants to be coached.

You are correct and I believe he is as well. Jim Shannon may have softened a little over the years but make no mistake RL was coached up no doubt

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

when your 5 star PG who is only there because of Arizona problems takes to Instagram and says it was my 2nd choice for a reason?? Might as well transfer now.

Hence, why I'm not totally enamored with 5* OAD  type players.  I realize you need talent and some of the players that are talented may go to the NBA and good for them.  Obviously, I love RL.  But a college coach needs to be selective and make sure recruits have  character as well as ability.  RL is one who fits that mold.  When a recruit has "one eye on college and the other in the NBA" it isn't  healthy for team chemistry nor for his development.  I'll take a 4* for 4yr over that type of recruit any day. At the college level you can have success with these types of players more so than the OAD mills like UK.   I personally have no interest in the NBA and never watch it..  I love college BB and watching these young men develop over time with great coaching and determination.  Love to see young men like Victor who enter unheralded and become outstanding players and men. Love to see the recruits who "overachieve." BB is a team sport.   I always believed that the reason I became an IU Fan back in the early 70's is that RMK rarely had the best 5 athletes on the floor but he usually had the best team.  

Maybe Cal is stepping down due to the fact tat he can longer out recruit everyone and knows his coaching flaws are being shown this year.  He could do like coach K did in 95 when he used health concerns to leave for the rest of the year so he wouldn't have to coach the train wreck of that season.

Archived