Around the B1G/NCAA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

#24 Houston losing by 10 to LSU at the half. 

Watched the beginning of the 2nd half and notice KS all learned back blue sweaty shirt with hands behind his head. I was thinking man this team does not listen so he is just gonna let them fail doing it their way. Then upon closer look he was actually covering 1 ear with 1 hand and the other holding a cell phone. Man is a go getter always on the recruiting trail. Or maybe just ordering some pizza!!! I kid I kid. Did not miss seeing him or the product he produces 

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Maybe 'aloof' is a better term.  Never got the feeling he was someone you could walk up to in a bar and start a conversation with.  

Oh, gotcha. To be fair, Crean had  something about him where I don’t think I would want to have a beer with him. As a matter fact, as much as I like Coach Miller, he’s seems pretty intense. 

You know what, let’s skip the coaches and just have a beer together. 🍻

25 minutes ago, rico said:

The suit is asking for damages  for severe emotional distress past and future.” According to Zeigler, it does not list specific monetary amounts.

I'm not an attorney, but how do you quantify "future emotional distress"?

1 hour ago, zerawkid said:

How’s that? I don’t remember him being unpleasant during his short tenure with us.

I don't say this lightly because of ultimately what he and others actions caused to our program....but met him at a fundraiser (Coaches vs Cancer). Thought he was very personable, friendly...and I can see why certain recruits are drawn to him. He puts the players first above all else. That rubs the historians away but I can see why he's been successful at every place he's coached.

10 minutes ago, rico said:

It was a good read and, I think, very true. If you stick around after your freshman year at pUKe, Calipari almost has to do what Jay Wright would not do with Quinerly...Play him so the message gets to other 5 stars that you come to pUKe, you play, then go to the league. If not, you get recruited over to maintain the cycle, because the stars aren't coming if a sophomore or junior are in their way.

To that I say, look at what Jay Wright has done with the talent he gets, as opposed to Calipari. Really quite clear.

27 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It was a good read and, I think, very true. If you stick around after your freshman year at pUKe, Calipari almost has to do what Jay Wright would not do with Quinerly...Play him so the message gets to other 5 stars that you come to pUKe, you play, then go to the league. If not, you get recruited over to maintain the cycle, because the stars aren't coming if a sophomore or junior are in their way.

To that I say, look at what Jay Wright has done with the talent he gets, as opposed to Calipari. Really quite clear.

Dead on.

And I will add.  Talking to my UK friends, very few, that know actually know basketball are getting tired of Cal's "recipe".  I just talked on the phone to one of them last night about ice fishing.  The conversation quickly changed to his 'Cats.  He said he would kill to have a Juwan Morgan.  I asked if UK even recruited him.  He said not that, just be nice to have a player stick around for 4 years.  

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't say this lightly because of ultimately what he and others actions caused to our program....but met him at a fundraiser (Coaches vs Cancer). Thought he was very personable, friendly...and I can see why certain recruits are drawn to him. He puts the players first above all else. That rubs the historians away but I can see why he's been successful at every place he's coached.

Well, and I push back gently because I’m really leery of revisionist history. And, I think it’s important to remind people that what he did was the furthest thing from egregious. We got absolutely decimated for it by the NCAA, and it wasn’t even remotely fair. The punishment did not fit the crime.

The pUKe situation is why I oppose those who say we should "showcase" Romeo more. Archie has done a great job working him  into a leading role on the team without creating jealousy issues (that we know of). Working within the confines of the offense, he's doing just fine. Our leading scorer at 18.2 per, second in rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks. So his talent is showing through. That message got to TJD (and hopefully, Keion).

Sure, I imagine he could average 25-30 a game, but I bet we wouldn't be 8-2.

There's plenty of 5 star talent in Indiana and surrounding states. We can have our cake and eat it too. Get 5 stars and mix them with the upperclassmen. As long as Archie can manage the egos (and we win 😁), all will be fine.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

My perception of him being a jerk had nothing to do with the scandal.  It was based on how I saw him interact with fans in off the court situations.  

2 minutes ago, zerawkid said:

We got absolutely decimated for it by the NCAA, and it wasn’t even remotely fair. The punishment did not fit the crime.

The NCAA gave us 3 years probation, nothing more. This is probably the biggest fallacy on IU boards. We nuked our own program because we were afraid of Myles Brand. It was almost like the NCAA looked at what we had done and thought "Wow, ok. We'll just keep an eye on you for awhile."

1 minute ago, TheWatShot said:

The NCAA gave us 3 years probation, nothing more. This is probably the biggest fallacy on IU boards. We nuked our own program because we were afraid of Myles Brand. It was almost like the NCAA looked at what we had done and thought "Wow, ok. We'll just keep an eye on you for awhile."

The excess phone call and text scandal really doesn't bother me.  It was an overblown reaction to a minor sin.  My bigger issue with Sampson is with his academics and discipline failures while at IU.  Having a roster littered with character issues is not what I want Indiana basketball to represent, regardless of the amount of success it brings.

That said, his on the court coaching skills exceed everyone that IU has had on the sideline since Knight.

Archived