Around the B1G/NCAA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Anyone remember talking about Mac McClung and if he would be better than Jordan Hulls.  He took the highest offer he received, iirc, and is making the best of it.  Dropped 38 pts in 38 mins tonight.  

He got lots of hype videos. He is way more athletic then Hulls. Kid probably has a 34 inch verticle. That said he is pretty streaky..I wouldn’t call him a pure shooter. I’m sure he will put up plenty of points for a pretty avg at best team.

I posted in another thread that I rarely if at all go to other teams sites. I usually do about 3-4x per year generally after teams I despise lose a rivalry game. Took a look this morning at our friends to the west this morning. Needless to say Underwood and his team didn't have a good week. Started off with high school coaches in the area calling him out in papers about lack of visits/recruiting and ended with them getting beat up by what some of their fans call their biggest rival. 

I enjoy seeing them being in the same discussion as Rutgers in all of P5 sports. Most of it stems from a few nut job over the top posters during the Sampson mess. Ripping the head coach is one thing. Ripping the head coach when he plays his son. Starting to take on a Tubby Smith feel when he played his kid. Awesome to sit back and watch total self destruction.

Currently, there is just one BIG team with a losing record. I remember Crean's first two years, and fans of that school made fun of us.  Our losing record wasn't because of the coach at that time. 

Favorite post by an Illinois fan :   "BU has taken a bad program, and made it worse. "

16 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Currently, there is just one BIG team with a losing record. I remember Crean's first two years, and fans of that school made fun of us.  Our losing record wasn't because of the coach at that time. 

Favorite post by an Illinois fan :   "BU has taken a bad program, and made it worse. "

I still don't know why he left Okie State after one year.

29 minutes ago, rico said:

I still don't know why he left Okie State after one year.

Probably what Underwood is thinking now.  He had a five year contract with Oklahoma state, worth $6.3 million.   Or even worse, Alford is probably wondering why he left New Mexico (where they loved him ) just weeks after signing a 10 year contract, that for New Mexico, gave Steve a substantial pay increase. 

3 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Probably what Underwood is thinking now.  He had a five year contract with Oklahoma state, worth $6.3 million.   Or even worse, Alford is probably wondering why he left New Mexico (where they loved him ) just weeks after signing a 10 year contract, that for New Mexico, gave Steve a substantial pay increase. 

I will give Alford a pass.  Blue bloods don't come calling that often.  Underwood's decision seems foolish.  Should have stayed with Cowpokes.

1 hour ago, rico said:

I will give Alford a pass.  Blue bloods don't come calling that often.

True. Plus the fact that UCLA was not only able to buy him out of the contract he just had signed with New Mexico, they also were able to offer more money than New Mexico could ever offer.  However.... I was talking retrospectively.  Don't know if it will happen this year or not. But I doubt Steve lasts the ten years at UCLA that would have expired in 2023, at New Mexico.... with another extension there, as a distinct probability. 

1 hour ago, rico said:

I will give Alford a pass.  Blue bloods don't come calling that often.  Underwood's decision seems foolish.  Should have stayed with Cowpokes.

The thing with Alford from all I gather from endless second hand accounts is that he also feels he is basketball blue blood himself. The way he handles those around him the way he treats people and sees himself..UCLA and him are a perfect fit...sadly he just is not a good coach...that is pretty clear. Talent out the caboose I mean he has had as many draft picks come from UCLA as any team not named Cal with no where near the success.

I mean it’s pretty much a lateral move. Neither are a top tier team in their conference. One difference is Illinois has a much better recruiting base to work with...but by the sounds of it Underwood is botching that. Guess make the money while you can...get fired..go back to a mid major and in a few years be right back to where you were at Oklahoma st.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I mean it’s pretty much a lateral move. Neither are a top tier team in their conference. One difference is Illinois has a much better recruiting base to work with...but by the sounds of it Underwood is botching that. Guess make the money while you can...get fired..go back to a mid major and in a few years be right back to where you were at Oklahoma st.

Is it a lateral move?  I don't see it that way.  Oklahoma St, to me is the better job.  I would rather live in Stillwater  than I would in Champaign.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Yeah, so is career suicide.

Leave for lots of money, tank, and live off the massive buyout. Sounds like a retirement plan to me. Pass the mojito pitcher. 

Illinois actually tripled his salary after looking up the numbers. Please, somebody here raise your hand if you wouldn’t leave your job for triple the money. 

3 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Leave for lots of money, tank, and live off the massive buyout. Sounds like a retirement plan to me. Pass the mojito pitcher. 

Illinois actually tripled his salary after looking up the numbers. Please, somebody here raise your hand if you wouldn’t leave your job for triple the money. 

Who says he gets a massive buy-out?  Ask Kevin Ollie how that worked out.

Archived