Around the B1G/NCAA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Good catch. With all the success they’ve been having, there may be some cheating involved that would void his buyout. 

Has nothing to do with the success, or the lack thereof.  It just takes one little thing then Illinois would be in the clear.  And trust me, I bet the people over there are pouring over it already.

17 minutes ago, rico said:

Has nothing to do with the success, or the lack thereof.  It just takes one little thing then Illinois would be in the clear.  And trust me, I bet the people over there are pouring over it already.

Good luck to them trying to hire their next coach if they pull something like that. 

If they decide to move on from Underwood after this year, they will happily pay the buyout because it will at least give them a chance to resurrect their program  

I respect the coach who does not leave for the love of money, but stay for the love of community.  Take Mark Few for example.  Has had many offers to leave Gonzaga, including UCLA and Stanford, among many others.  Yet has stayed for love of community, rather than money.  And in the end, it has paid of big time for him.

2 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I respect the coach who does not leave for the love of money, but stay for the love of community.  Take Mark Few for example.  Has had many offers to leave Gonzaga, including UCLA and Stanford, among many others.  Yet has stayed for love of community, rather than money.  And in the end, it has paid of big time for him.

I bet UCLA is about to test his love again. Bet they offer to make him the highest paid coach in college basketball after they bye out Alford.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I bet UCLA is about to test his love again. Bet they offer to make him the highest paid coach in college basketball after they bye out Alford.

They might test it, but I don't think he is going anywhere.  Hell, his program is better than UCLA's.  He don't need the money....and he is happy.  

15 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Good luck to them trying to hire their next coach if they pull something like that. 

If they decide to move on from Underwood after this year, they will happily pay the buyout because it will at least give them a chance to resurrect their program  

Good luck to them trying to hire a coach period.  Nobody wants to be there anymore.  Except Underwood.

20 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

8 minutes ago, rico said:

They might test it, but I don't think he is going anywhere.  Hell, his program is better than UCLA's.  He don't need the money....and he is happy.  

It’s always nice to say someone doesn’t need the money when it’s not your own paycheck at stake. 

1 hour ago, rico said:

To me Billy Donavan would be the perfect fit there...if PG13 had bailed and that shipped sank this year I could have seen him make the jump back...be hard for him to leave now though.

4 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Leave for lots of money, tank, and live off the massive buyout. Sounds like a retirement plan to me. Pass the mojito pitcher. 

Illinois actually tripled his salary after looking up the numbers. Please, somebody here raise your hand if you wouldn’t leave your job for triple the money. 

I had something like that happen to me early in my career. Adobe Software wanted to hire me at about triple the salary, but I would have had to move to Scottsdale from Denver.  My first son had just been born and we had just gotten settled in our first house. My wife had just finally gotten a good job in her field (accounting at the time) and was not really keen on starting over again.  In the end I decided not to take the job and less than a year later Adobe restructured their entire sales organization and I would have been stuck in Scottsdale with no job and no contacts.  I was happy that I had not jumped at just getting more money.

Underwood spent a decade at Western Illinois. He's one of the rare few that call Illinois his dream job. Things can and do change but he better start hitting the recruits hard like Henson and bag man Jimmy Collins. If not BU will leave the school little choice. One of their sites continues to suggest more transfers coming. 

10 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

It’s always nice to say someone doesn’t need the money when it’s not your own paycheck at stake. 

Sure.  Anything is possible.  However, many stories over the years have been written about Mark Few, and what really drives him to stay at Gonzaga. In his case I believe he is an exception.

Gonzaga coach Mark Few is comfortable winning and fishing away from the spotlight

It had gotten so bad, that now, Few's agent has a standing order to reject any and all offers that come Few's way, annually.  Few won't even entertain any conversation regarding changing.  And I think I know one of the reasons as to why.  He saw the guy he replaced, leave Gonzaga, for Minnesota, for more money, and get chewed up in the process. Few has said leaving a good thing just because of money, can corrupt, and has seen marriages break up as a result.

Mark Few, who turned tiny Gonzaga into a college basketball giant, didn’t compromise on his principles to get to the top .

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Sure.  Anything is possible.  However, many stories over the years have been written about Mark Few, and what really drives him to stay at Gonzaga. In his case I believe he is an exception.

Gonzaga coach Mark Few is comfortable winning and fishing away from the spotlight

It had gotten so bad, that now, Few's agent has a standing order to reject any and all offers that come Few's way, annually.  Few won't even entertain any conversation regarding changing.  And I think I know one of the reasons as to why.  He saw the guy he replaced, leave Gonzaga, for Minnesota, for more money, and get chewed up in the process. Few has said leaving a good thing just because of money, can corrupt, and has seen marriages break up as a result.

Mark Few, who turned tiny Gonzaga into a college basketball giant, didn’t compromise on his principles to get to the top .

In a very weird but somewhat similar move/situation. Look at Greeny from Mike/Mike. Golic was on record as saying why mess with something that is working. 1 year later Greeny's show on ESPN is a laughingstock and Golic/Wingo just isn't as good. I applaud coaches like Few who have the ability/discipline/foresight not to change something that is working so well.

Although 10 years ago....and more local to Indy...I remember thinking when Lickliter took the Iowa job it was a bad move. I mean I understand why he accepted a P5 conference job but I'm sure he's spent some sleepless nights thinking about that decision. 6 years out of D1 Hoops....and just now getting a chance again as an asst at Evansville.

7 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

In a very weird but somewhat similar move/situation. Look at Greeny from Mike/Mike. Golic was on record as saying why mess with something that is working. 1 year later Greeny's show on ESPN is a laughingstock and Golic/Wingo just isn't as good. I applaud coaches like Few who have the ability/discipline/foresight not to change something that is working so well.

Although 10 years ago....and more local to Indy...I remember thinking when Lickliter took the Iowa job it was a bad move. I mean I understand why he accepted a P5 conference job but I'm sure he's spent some sleepless nights thinking about that decision. 6 years out of D1 Hoops....and just now getting a chance again as an asst at Evansville.

Two good analogies. Though not a regular viewer of Mike & Mike, I visited often. Since the break up, I viewed each show for just a few minutes each.... and never watch either. 

50 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I wasn't really a fan of Mike and Mike, as they were lousy on basketball (focused and much more knowledgeable on football), but they were entertaining and funny.

In the end, I think they really just didn't like each other. Golic was/is an a$$ clown.

I was reading the UI board yesterday and there were several references to BU's last year at OSU.  The story is that he concentrated on defense, but when the team wasn't winning he changed emphasis and they "caught fire".  They also mention that he lost his last 4 games as coach there.

I can empathize with their fans (minus the jerks), as we know very well how demoralizing it is to see failed coach after failed coach run your program (I'm thinking more of football).  I'd think it's very unusual for a program to have multiple elite-level coaches over time and they lost their only one in Bill Self. 

10 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

Pearl should be the target.

Only if they want NCAA violations and to lose scholly's. I've met Pearl on many occasions at USI as I had a friend on the basketball team and played with the ball players at the PAC all the time. Bruce is a very personable and fun guy...but is dirtier than a week old pair of used gym socks. He would cut and step over any rule to get the guys he wants and to make them happy. His is a pretty good coach but I'm afraid the guy has a track record for trouble. He is perfect at Auburn...who is a well known school for getting dirty....whether football or basketball. They will help cover up his issues. At UCLA...there would be too much spot light to get away with much.

56 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I was reading the UI board yesterday and there were several references to BU's last year at OSU.  The story is that he concentrated on defense, but when the team wasn't winning he changed emphasis and they "caught fire".  They also mention that he lost his last 4 games as coach there.

I can empathize with their fans (minus the jerks), as we know very well how demoralizing it is to see failed coach after failed coach run your program (I'm thinking more of football).  I'd think it's very unusual for a program to have multiple elite-level coaches over time and they lost their only one in Bill Self. 

Well, not sticking up for BU, but his last 4 games at OSU were against ranked opponents.  

As far as elite coaches, they also had Lon Kruger.  And Bruce is doing fine at K-State.

That being said.  Illinois is a job that is gonna be hard to fill.  That is why they went with Groce and now Underwood.  

10 minutes ago, rico said:

Well, not sticking up for BU, but his last 4 games at OSU were against ranked opponents.  

As far as elite coaches, they also had Lon Kruger.  And Bruce is doing fine at K-State.

That being said.  Illinois is a job that is gonna be hard to fill.  That is why they went with Groce and now Underwood.  

Kinda crazy...given the tremendous HS basketball talent in that state why can't they find someone to lock down the borders? Is it that the Chicago/St. Louis areas are too corrupt to lock down kids without playing the game or is it the program just doesn't have the prestige? I mean I know it isn't a blue blood like Kansas and I don't live in the state to understand the dynamics of things but on the surface there is no reason they shouldn't be like an Ohio St or Wisconsin. Hard to understand why they aren't more competitive year in and year out....I mean clearly they have been in the past.

Archived