Around the B1G/NCAA

17 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Another thing that irritates me about Purdue fans is there constant whining about the lack of respect they get in the Indy market.  They call the Indy Star the Hoosier Star because they feel that they don't get any coverage from them.  it is the same way with the local TV stations and to me you have to earn their respect and not just given to them.  Also they can't comprehend that there are way more IU fans around here so these outlets will have stories on what sells.

13 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. For me it's not age or region, it's the fact that I want IU to be a national program. I want IU back in the same breath as Duke, UNC, UK and KU. I compare IU to those schools, not Purdue. That's a big reason I'd love the IU-UK game to be back on the schedule. 

Also, Purdue doesn't move the needle nationally. Look at OSU-Michigan in football or Duke-UNC in basketball, those rivalries move the needle nationally, not just within the schools fan bases, and those schools benefit greatly from it. So in a weird way I'm almost rooting for Purdue to become more relevant so that the IU-Purdue rivalry could actually mean something to people outside of Indiana. 

I agree with both of you, but before we can become nationally relevant, we have to become top dog again in the state of Indiana.

I live in the NE corner of the state. About 45 miles north of Ft. Wayne. I drove home from FW last night a little after 8:00. The only radio station in this part of the state that covered the IU game was an AM station from FW whose signal died about 15 miles north. I could not find a single station, AM or FM that covered IU. Per a web search, Learfield Sports listed several other stations that supposedly were IU stations, but none had the game. I was able to find the Purdue game on 3-4 different stations. Fortunately, I found the game on a Sirius channel that normally provides traffic information for several cities. Took quite awhile to find it, and frankly I just lucked onto it.

I think that once we went through the Sampson mess, IU lost its luster with a lot of these stations, and for some reason, they haven't come back. I realize that radio is an antiquated medium and $$ are better spent through cable, satellite, and streaming, but when I can find PU games multiple times, it tells me that some stations still value airing games. 

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Purdue is our little brother and I want to keep them in their place.  I want to keep it over their heads that they have never won anything and want to keep it that way.

Don't get me wrong, I want no part of Purdue winning a National Title or even making a Final Four, but with that said it is better for IU if both Purdue and IU are top 15 or so teams. IU and Purdue fans care about the rivalry, but nobody else nationally does, and there is no denying the national juice that Duke/UNC get out of their rivalry. 

40 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

My exact feelings.   I grew up in southern Indiana.  I didn't know Purdue had a basketball team until my sophomore year at iu.  I'm not sure when, where, or why Purdue is given so much hated respect?  Is it just this board?  Is it everywhere north of downtown Indy?  If I asked all my old Hoosier faithful down south, they hate Kentucky at least 100 times more so than Purdue.  Purdue is slightly more hated than a Wisconsin or Illinois and only because they are in indiana.  I'm not sure I know of any or more IU fans that hold Purdue in such great respects than right here on this board.  I truly don't get it.  They are so inferior.   

Perfectly explained. To me to be a rival you need to be on even playing field. To me Purdue is just slightly more than another game. UK...maybe living in southern Indiana and now in Kentucky I've experienced too much UK entitlement but that is a team I love to see taken down a peg. Purdue...I mean they already so far down I don't even notice them. Again honestly the Purdue fans I grew up with..never said anything. They just hoped to win a couple games in the tournament...never would say anything bad about IU. That said maybe the past 15 years have changed since I left and Purdue has had as much success as us and people feel like they are an equal program. I've never seen that....so if they wouldn't hurt our chances at a better seed etc...I still rooted for them.

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Don't get me wrong, I want no part of Purdue winning a National Title or even making a Final Four, but with that said it is better for IU if both Purdue and IU are top 15 or so teams. IU and Purdue fans care about the rivalry, but nobody else nationally does, and there is no denying the national juice that Duke/UNC get out of their rivalry. 

To me if we played UK that would be a much bigger national rivalry than PU. I agree nobody cares about PU enough...and if we aren't careful and start winning again nobody will care about us to care it's a rivalry either. I mean Yale and Harvard are rivals I assume but nobody cares. The UK has always been a bigger deal TV and to most fans I know/knew.

15 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Perfectly explained. To me to be a rival you need to be on even playing field. To me Purdue is just slightly more than another game. UK...maybe living in southern Indiana and now in Kentucky I've experienced too much UK entitlement but that is a team I love to see taken down a peg. Purdue...I mean they already so far down I don't even notice them. Again honestly the Purdue fans I grew up with..never said anything. They just hoped to win a couple games in the tournament...never would say anything bad about IU. That said maybe the past 15 years have changed since I left and Purdue has had as much success as us and people feel like they are an equal program. I've never seen that....so if they wouldn't hurt our chances at a better seed etc...I still rooted for them.

To me being in the same conference is what makes PU the bigger rival and now we don't even play UK.  Also when you look at conference titles we are behind PU and I want us to get past them in conference titles.  to me the first thing we need to do is get back to being the top team in our conference before we worry about getting back to winning national titles.

32 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me being in the same conference is what makes PU the bigger rival and now we don't even play UK.  Also when you look at conference titles we are behind PU and I want us to get past them in conference titles.  to me the first thing we need to do is get back to being the top team in our conference before we worry about getting back to winning national titles.

Agreed the key to winning National titles is to be in the dance every year as a high seed. First step to doing that is to be in the mix for your conference title every year. Instead of winning it 2/3 years you are in the mix and being out of the mix the other 6. 

23 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

All I gotta say is.. We need UK on the schedule bad!! It ranks right there with UK-Louisville and Duke-UNC as top rivalry’s. Everyone around the nation would watch that game. 

First we have to get this to a consistent top 15 program. Over the next couple years. We do that and position ourselves to be ranked year in and year out and in the S16 and beyond almost every year...the schedule will take care of itself. I think Archie will put pressure to get that done. First step is for us to garner that attention again...so those down south start to feel pressure and come back to the table to renew. Right now they have UNC, Kansas, Duke, Louisville every year almost...we need that premier game on the schedule much more than they do. Let's take care of business and get that winning feeling back....people will line up to play us when that happens!

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

I get what you're saying but I feel like this is the attitude that makes them our equal.  They are so far inferior to us it's not even funny.  IU Purdue is a blip on ESPN on a Thursday night.  Kentucky versus Indiana is National, CBS Saturday, huge ratings, Blue Blood vs Blue Blood, National Title Contender versus National Title contender.  

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

What gets me about UK is how many people who grew up in Southern Indiana that root for the Cats.  At least with Purdue it could be a situation where a family member actually went to school there.  I know a lot of Purdue fans that are fans for that reason.  I know of no one that went to UK, yet they have fans all over Southern Indiana that were born and raised here.  It's disgusting.

I have said for years that the worst UK fans are the ones who grew up and still live in Southern Indiana.  I have always found them to be the most obnoxious of them all.  I attended college in a small town outside of Lexington.  I would walk around town in my IU shirts and I had pleasant conversations with some really nice UK fans who were not the obnoxious clowns we have to deal with here in "Kentuckiana."  That term is another gripe for another time.  

I'm glad you posted that. 

What do we say to Purdue fans when they say all we've won more head-to-head or Conference titles than you? We say well we have banners on the wall.  

What do Kentucky fans say to us when we say we beat you two of the last three times? They say what when was the last time you guys were relevant.

It's time to play Kentucky again it's time to get on their level and start acting like a blue blood would.

20 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I have said for years that the worst UK fans are the ones who grew up and still live in Southern Indiana.  I have always found them to be the most obnoxious of them all.  I attended college in a small town outside of Lexington.  I would walk around town in my IU shirts and I had pleasant conversations with some really nice UK fans who were not the obnoxious clowns we have to deal with here in "Kentuckiana."  That term is another gripe for another time.  

That's what you get when the 3Rs they teach in KY are readin', ritin' and Route 65 North

23 hours ago, dgambill said:

I don't get the hate for Purdue. They are an Indiana school and I still have plenty of friends that are Purdue fans. I don't want to listen to the UK people down here but I don't get rooting against a team unless they play us or hurt our chances. You guys spend too much time on forum boards if you are letting the crazies over at the Gold & Black board influence you. Lot's of good Indiana folk that root for Purdue out there and if we can't win it..I'm fine with them winning it. Bring a title home to the Hoosier state. Of course I would rather us win it but I have no problem seeing ND, Purdue, or Butler have success....as long as it isn't at our expense.

Any more posts like this one and you will be banned. :coffee:

Anyone saying Purdue isnt our biggest rival needs to go back and research IU basketball. These last few pages are the worst ever written on this site. If I were the sole voice they would all be deleted and the evidence buried. Some of you speak like you've had some kind of break down or you lost a bet with someone at purdue.  :coffee:

17 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Anyone saying Purdue isnt our biggest rival needs to go back and research IU basketball. These last few pages are the worst ever written on this site. If I were the sole voice they would all be deleted and the evidence buried. Some of you speak like you've had some kind of break down or you lost a bet with someone at purdue.  :coffee:

I agree. Ranking in my hatred order is Purdue, Notre Dame, Kentucky, Illinois and IU fans who go to other teams message boards and criticize our own players just to gain acceptance on the site. 

^^ Hating ND over UK? You must have a personal reason!

There are very few programs I actually hate. If I consider it honestly, Wisconsin is probably the only program I "hate." I CANNOT STAND that program or their idiot-fest fans. I enjoy the IU-PU rivalry, though it's not been much of one for a while -- they're still our in-state rivals. I am basically disgusted with UK and it's brain-dead, schizophrenic fans who tout Calipari while ignoring all that he left in his wake, and his fear of playing at IU, lol. I'm equally (or maybe more) disgusted with UNC for its DECADES of fake classes and its aww shucks coach who claims ignorance of same. Illinois to me is basically irrelevant at this point. Who really cares about Illinois basketball? Worst for me though is the NCAA itself, see UNC.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

^^ Hating ND over UK? You must have a personal reason!

There are very few programs I actually hate. If I consider it honestly, Wisconsin is probably the only program I "hate." I CANNOT STAND that program or their idiot-fest fans. I enjoy the IU-PU rivalry, though it's not been much of one for a while -- they're still our in-state rivals. I am basically disgusted with UK and it's brain-dead, schizophrenic fans who tout Calipari while ignoring all that he left in his wake, and his fear of playing at IU, lol. I'm equally (or maybe more) disgusted with UNC for its DECADES of fake classes and its aww shucks coach who claims ignorance of same. Illinois to me is basically irrelevant at this point. Who really cares about Illinois basketball? Worst for me though is the NCAA itself, see UNC.

Yes. But it would derail this thread. Started with Lou Holtz and the institution itself. Trust me I despise Kentucky but I also applaud some of what they did. They were tired of getting beat up and they went and hired the guy who could give them titles, F4's,etc....in a very close battle since we don't play Kentucky anymore I hate ND more...but barely. 

Archived