Around the B1G/NCAA

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

you are correct but not sure it much more off topic than most recruiting threads but I will do as you wish and not comment on things OFF TOPIC!!!

Wisc 101  Savanah State 60.  What A Game!!!!

With this being finals week there are not many games to talk aobut

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

The product was the basketball team. It was the best team we've had in 25 years. Rather or not you're proud of the players is a completely different discussion. I'm not disagreeing with you that the culture of that team and coach left a lot to be desired - I'm just expressing you're being selective about caring about culture. 

I'd very much disagree with that being the "best" team IU had in 25 years.  The team wilted under adversity at the end of the season and I'd quit watching them before that.  I simply didn't care for the personality of that team outside of DJ and Gordon and talent aside, the team got swept by the freaking Badgers and closed the season losing four of five and out of the top 25 in the final poll.

I think you can make a strong argument that for all the talent stockpiled, the results sucked and weren't stellar even before the coaching change.  We had less talented teams perform considerably better.  That was probably one of my least favorite teams through no fault of Gordon & White.  Beyond those two, lots of character issues and not much to root for.

2 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I'd very much disagree with that being the "best" team IU had in 25 years.  The team wilted under adversity at the end of the season and I'd quit watching them before that.  I simply didn't care for the personality of that team outside of DJ and Gordon and talent aside, the team got swept by the freaking Badgers and closed the season losing four of five and out of the top 25 in the final poll.

I think you can make a strong argument that for all the talent stockpiled, the results sucked and weren't stellar even before the coaching change.  We had less talented teams perform considerably better.  That was probably one of my least favorite teams through no fault of Gordon & White.  Beyond those two, lots of character issues and not much to root for.

I believe this is NCAA basketball related so I will comment😀 I gave up on that team as well. I did not even wear IU gear I was so embarrassed. I spent 2 whole days with Huggy Bear when he was at UC and what was going on there did not even remotely scratch the surface of the KS admin.

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

^^ I am not in any way in favor of corporal punishment, the idea that a school official can wack your kid with wood or fiberglass is incredibly stupid, imo. Glad that's a thing of the past.

That said, I think I have the record for University Middle School in Bloomington (no longer exists) - visits to the principal's office in 7th grade: 27!

Animal house content...🤔😁

Interesting discussion...for me personally I give everyone regardless of age the opportunity to earn my respect. Naturally, people who have seen more life/older than the next is likely more wise/experienced than their counterpoint. Not always, but generally progressing that way mixed in with the person's own experiences. On the flip side, some wiser folks can use that wisdom for manipulation too which should be called out by society. Respect the ideas and processes first and foremost. 

6 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I found this when googling 'Around the B1G / NCAA'

image.jpeg.ecc5a49afb8f4ffa12075002fc258e92.jpeg

Sure you did.....lol. Truly a great example of why women are called the fairer sex. I'll be honest...never paid much mind to the cheerleaders at games but the season ticket holders there in Ann Arbor probably do. 

3 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Guys, this is the Around the BIG/NCAA thread -- a little off topic is always OK but this is getting pretty extensive, you can take the corporal punishment / Knight stuff to the Animal House. Thanks.

Agreed.  One of the things that I've always found most interesting about college basketball is advance statistical analysis.  It got me thinking about how Romeo compares to other players that have previously come through the college ranks.  In my mind, the most important stats are those that contribute to team success.  As a result, Win Shares Per 40 Minutes is my favorite.

So, in trying to determine how Romeo is impacting the game, I randomly chose two former college players that went on to become NBA all-stars and compared their Win Shares Per 40 Minutes in their college career to Romeo.  The results are below (the higher the number, the better)

Romeo Langford - .199 W/S Per 40

Victor Oladipo - .198 W/S Per 40

Paul George - .155 W/S Per 40

28 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Per Hoopster's request to get back on topic.  I submit this.  Brad Underwood.....upping his recruiting game, to offer a three star from out of state.   LOL

Luke Kasubke receives offer from Illini

So, is the Illini writer saying the kid should have committed to Wisconsin?

I believe Kasubke is the complete package. He is one of those kids that Wisconsin swoops in and snags and ends up becoming like a Frank Kaminsky or an Ethan Happ.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Agreed.  One of the things that I've always found most interesting about college basketball is advance statistical analysis.  It got me thinking about how Romeo compares to other players that have previously come through the college ranks.  In my mind, the most important stats are those that contribute to team success.  As a result, Win Shares Per 40 Minutes is my favorite.

So, in trying to determine how Romeo is impacting the game, I randomly chose two former college players that went on to become NBA all-stars and compared their Win Shares Per 40 Minutes in their college career to Romeo.  The results are below (the higher the number, the better)

lol

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Man what are the odds you get Vic and Paul George side by side. I hear they traded teams a couple years back too 😎

21 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

They need to summon up LouDo to complete that train wreck...

Bill Self probably thanks his lucky stars every day

John Groce.... the conductor on the train.   LOL

BAM takes Self's kids for a long train ride in the NCAAT.... only to crash and burn years later, with his own kids.

Hey, We've had some issues with coaches over the years.  But, man... look at the Illini !

Archived