Around the B1G/NCAA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Earl Watson is the name that keeps popping up. Former player, NBA guy....well connected in AAU circle in California. I could see him as a coach. Or the most UCLA thing ever would be just to hire Pitino. It's a pro town. They don't care about rules. 

If Pitino was 10 years younger I could see it.  Bruce Pearl would be a good choice if they just want to win.  He can flat out coach and has a Hollywood personality.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Alford was a great player, has had some success as a coach. He'll have several to choose from. Problem is he either guess wrong on some of the talent he recruited or players just aren't buying what he's selling. Usually a combination of both. Here's a program that would be idiotic to pass up on Alford. Depaul. I'm sure Coach SS would be happy. Haha.

Alford might just want to take a year off. Do the rounds. Take a timeout.

Can't help but feel bad for an Indiana kid like Wilkes.......

1 minute ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Can't help but feel bad for an Indiana kid like Wilkes.......

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not. My opinion on KW and those around him have been consistent since he opted for UCLA. He deserves every bit of what comes with that decision. He was hanging out in Bloomington all fall knowing full well where he was going. He was supposed to be one and done. That didn't work. He's playing for a team that isn't going anywhere. He very well might still sneak into the late round of next NBA draft but his Hoosier privileges have been revoked in my book. 

The kids and their families need to be reminded that if you choose IU. IU and fans choose you for life as well. 

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Alford was a great player, has had some success as a coach. He'll have several to choose from. Problem is he either guess wrong on some of the talent he recruited or players just aren't buying what he's selling. Usually a combination of both. Here's a program that would be idiotic to pass up on Alford. Depaul. I'm sure Coach SS would be happy. Haha.

Alford might just want to take a year off. Do the rounds. Take a timeout.

I believe Alford is the kind of guy that needs a certain type of player to succeed.  Specifically, he needs players more like himself - not blue chip, NBA aspiring kids.  Of course this lowers the ceiling on what kind of success he can achieve, but I believe some coaches just aren't suited to building elite level teams.  He's shown that he knows the game and can build solid teams at the mid-major level.  Everybody wants to make it to the top, make the big bucks, and compete at the highest level, but SA might not be cut out for it.

I'm not so sure this makes him any less of a coach.  There are probably NBA coaches that wouldn't be so great with high school teams.  I did not want to see Alford take over after Crean for a variety of reasons, not the least of which would be doubts about if he could build teams that achieved what we all want to see, but I do hope he finds the right position and has prolonged success (wherever that might be).

3 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I believe Alford is the kind of guy that needs a certain type of player to succeed.  Specifically, he needs players more like himself - not blue chip, NBA aspiring kids.  Of course this lowers the ceiling on what kind of success he can achieve, but I believe some coaches just aren't suited to building elite level teams.  He's shown that he knows the game and can build solid teams at the mid-major level.  Everybody wants to make it to the top, make the big bucks, and compete at the highest level, but SA might not be cut out for it.

I'm not so sure this makes him any less of a coach.  There are probably NBA coaches that wouldn't be so great with high school teams.  I did not want to see Alford take over after Crean for a variety of reasons, not the least of which would be doubts about if he could build teams that achieved what we all want to see, but I do hope he finds the right position and has prolonged success (wherever that might be).

Agree all day. There was one point in Crean's last year where the level of turmoil in our state between program, fans, coaches,etc...was at an all time high. After many beers I thought for about an hour that maybe we do just need an Indiana guy. Similar to the Michigan man mantra. I woke up the next morning realizing my stupidity. Will always love Alford....but don't want him at IU. He had his chance once before. He decided to make it about $. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Agree all day. There was one point in Crean's last year where the level of turmoil in our state between program, fans, coaches,etc...was at an all time high. After many beers I thought for about an hour that maybe we do just need an Indiana guy. Similar to the Michigan man mantra. I woke up the next morning realizing my stupidity. Will always love Alford....but don't want him at IU. He had his chance once before. He decided to make it about $. 

Yep.  There'd be something wrong with him if he didn't want to make it to the highest level of coaching, but it may be a case of "be careful what you wish for".  Speaking of Crean, he might be the polar opposite of Alford - not a great basketball mind, but a guy who MUST have tons of talent to succeed.  My hope and suspicion is that Archie is right combination for us - knows the game, coaching x's and o's, and how to get and combine high level talent.  Time will tell.  I will say this however, I'll always take the coach that knows the game and how to teach it over the coach whose main talent is selling.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

Not sure if this is sarcasm or not. My opinion on KW and those around him have been consistent since he opted for UCLA. He deserves every bit of what comes with that decision. He was hanging out in Bloomington all fall knowing full well where he was going. He was supposed to be one and done. That didn't work. He's playing for a team that isn't going anywhere. He very well might still sneak into the late round of next NBA draft but his Hoosier privileges have been revoked in my book. 

The kids and their families need to be reminded that if you choose IU. IU and fans choose you for life as well. 

Lol not so many people on here are choosing Alford for life.

Stevie reminds me a lot of Isiah Thomas coaching the Pacers...great IU player but a mediocre coach. We've had the conversation here several times before about great players rarely translating as great coaches. Give me a good and fundamentally strong player over a star player as coach any day.

Growing up Steve was a living legend to me. I know that many others have some stories that paint him in a bad light, but I can only comment on how he has treated me. I have 2 stories to share

I was waiting tables at Colorado Steakhouse in Bloomington and the Iowa team was playing in a holiday tourney but not against IU, and Steve brought the team in both nights after we closed to have dinner. we had agreed to stay open just for them. Needless to say they tipped me very very well. Man can those guys eat.  On the second night I brought back a pic of "the shot" and asked Steve to sign it. He said you really need Keith's autograph not mine. You were my favorite player on that team and also Keith is not sitting here. He signed it and we talked basketball and that I was going into teaching and coaching etc... about a month later a box arrived at the steakhouse with my name on it. Steve had sent an autographed pic of him in Carver Hawkeye arena, a signed ball from the team and a personalized autographed pic from Keith Smart of the shot.  a letter and in it he said that you probably don't need it but wanted to send some things for your office 1 day and some thing that may help you with your career. He sent a giant folder of stuff from picking your team to different rules, sets practice plans you name it. He also said most of it was from Coach knight but some from what he had picked up over the years.  He did not have to do any of that but he did.

The second story is more personal. We had a silent auction for Ayden when he was diagnosed and we did not think he was going to make it. Steve had donated a  Lobo ball signed by him for the Auction and a very nice letter and some prayers etc... He had remember me from several years earlier. When he found out that he was going to be speaking at the Indiana Coaches Association conference in Indy he reached out to me and asked to stop by and say hi. I did and Steve gave me a ball signed for Ayden and asked to pray with me. Once again things that he did not have to do but he did them anyway. We stayed in touch for quite some time giving updates on Ayden but have not since going to UCLA.  

All that withstanding I did not want him as our next coach but by no way will I say anything negative about the man who took to time to take interest in a college kid that wanted to become a coach and more importantly in my little boy who was in for the fight of his life. In my book Steve is a very good man.

1 minute ago, rico said:

I feel bad for Steve.  I really, really do.  I just wish he would have stayed at New Mexico.

That was the perfect job for him.  They have a great fan base.  A job like New Mexico is a better job than some mid tier program in a power conference.  I guess the allure of a blue blood was just to much to pass up.  

1 hour ago, tucsonhoosier said:

Lol not so many people on here are choosing Alford for life.

Yet somehow his basketball camps are sold out in Franklin every summer....and those around him have done pretty well off of the last name too. Pretty fair real estate purchases on some water in Southern Indiana over the years, hotel in New Castle.... What do I know though. 

4 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yet somehow his basketball camps are sold out in Franklin every summer....and those around him have done pretty well off of the last name too. Pretty fair real estate purchases on some water in Southern Indiana over the years, hotel in New Castle.... What do I know though. 

You are correct.  I have stayed at the hotel in New Castle multiple times.

Archived