Around the B1G/NCAA

2 hours ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Can't help but feel bad for an Indiana kid like Wilkes.......

I assume he will go pro...but what if Steve leaves...could he get an automatic transfer and somehow play for us next year or would he still have to sit out a year? That would be pretty epic if he could be that 4th signing...step right into Romeo's shoes and give us that scoring threat. Given what we would bring back and have coming in....B1G championship?!

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
53 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

I always liked Steve as a person and player, but I’ve also always been firm with the belief that former standouts shouldn’t coach our program. Not because I don’t like them, but rather that I’d hate to see any of them tarnish their image from a coaching perspective. 

Unless they have already proven to be excellent coaches already I agree....it also makes it difficult to remove them as well and everyone save face.

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I assume he will go pro...but what if Steve leaves...could he get an automatic transfer and somehow play for us next year or would he still have to sit out a year? That would be pretty epic if he could be that 4th signing...step right into Romeo's shoes and give us that scoring threat. Given what we would bring back and have coming in....B1G championship?!

About every mock draft I have seen has him going late in the 1st round.  That being said, I do believe the NCAA changed their rules concerning coaching changes....but really not sure.

44 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Actually they got 6 foul shots all together because of the foul and the two techs

Right, but his point is if that the personal foul shots were the first two.  If the coach had kept his cool, not gotten the techs, and PSU missed the personal foul shots (the first two), then he got all worked up for nothing.  The game would have been going into overtime, or Duquense may have been able to get off a final shot in regulation.

5 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Earl Watson is the name that keeps popping up. Former player, NBA guy....well connected in AAU circle in California. I could see him as a coach. Or the most UCLA thing ever would be just to hire Pitino. It's a pro town. They don't care about rules. 

Bad news for UCLA:

8DA41185-8E61-4B8D-B304-1620675A2320.png

While we wait on CC's experience with Alford...... It looks like a done deal.  Arriving in Greece after Christmas.

Rick Pitino, ex-Louisville basketball coach, to take job in Greece

Rumor has it that what finally caused Rick to pick Greece, was the number of Italian restaurants in country. For those that don't recall, Rick admitting having sex with Karen Sypher in an Italian restaurant. Porcini's or something like that. 

The 10 Best Italian Restaurants in Athens

1 hour ago, rico said:

Do tell.

I met him in the parking lot of a hotel at Northern Iowa University. He was getting his bags out of the trunk of his car, the other coaches were already in the lobby.  I introduceyslef as an IU grad and fan and asked if he needed a hand. He said something like "duh.". I picked up two bags and over the 50-75 yard walk told him I was at IU when he was there...not a word from him.  Get to the lobby and put down his bags and reach out to shake his hand and he says I'm a little busy here and I kinda stood there stunned.  His dad saw the whole thing and quickly came up and said he appreciated my help and then made some small talk about IU, etc.  Then said Steve was really busy and apologized for him being abrupt.  His dad was a nice guy. Steve not so much. People in lowa hated him 

1 minute ago, Colonialcrester said:

I met him in the parking lot of a hotel at Northern Iowa University. He was getting his bags out of the trunk of his car, the other coaches were already in the lobby.  I introduceyslef as an IU grad and fan and asked if he needed a hand. He said something like "duh.". I picked up two bags and over the 50-75 yard walk told him I was at IU when he was there...not a word from him.  Get to the lobby and put down his bags and reach out to shake his hand and he says I'm a little busy here and I kinda stood there stunned.  His dad saw the whole thing and quickly came up and said he appreciated my help and then made some small talk about IU, etc.  Then said Steve was really busy and apologized for him being abrupt.  His dad was a nice guy. Steve not so much. People in lowa hated him 

People in Iowa did hate him. I lived there for several years. Any time I'd tell someone that I was from Indiana (not even IU), I'd get about a 3 minute lecture on what a jerk Alford is. He had a reputation for acting very arrogant and entitled. A number of stories about small businesses who were expected to give him things at cost or for free just because he was Iowa's bball coach. Didn't have any personal experience.

49 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

People in Iowa did hate him. I lived there for several years. Any time I'd tell someone that I was from Indiana (not even IU), I'd get about a 3 minute lecture on what a jerk Alford is. He had a reputation for acting very arrogant and entitled. A number of stories about small businesses who were expected to give him things at cost or for free just because he was Iowa's bball coach. Didn't have any personal experience.

Years back... we had several former IU students/alum who worked at various stores and facilities in B-town, talk about Steve on our forum at the time.  Same story. Different situations. But to a person. Claimed Jerk. Seems, regardless of where ever Steve went... he treated people badly (as with CC).... and worse yet.... never expected to have to pay for anything.

When I heard multiple stories like that.... I always cringed when the thought of Steve becoming our coach came up.

Great player on the floor in college.  Not so nice off the court is what many have told me.

38 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Years back... we had several former IU students/alum who worked at various stores and facilities in B-town, talk about Steve on our forum at the time.  Same story. Different situations. But to a person. Claimed Jerk. Seems, regardless of where ever Steve went... he treated people badly (as with CC).... and worse yet.... never expected to have to pay for anything.

When I heard multiple stories like that.... I always cringed when the thought of Steve becoming our coach came up.

Great player on the floor in college.  Not so nice off the court is what many have told me.

And to think Coach Knight put up with that kind of arrogance? Oh wait ...

Archived