Around the B1G/NCAA

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Curious to see how this Duke team progresses this year. In the past 5-10 years, this one and done model has not been too successful relative to other elite teams with a mix of younger and older guys. I'll have to admit though, this Duke team seems as good of a one and done model as any in recent memory. 

I guess this is all a moot point though since K says he doesn't employ the one and done model though 🙄 

41 minutes ago, Snozzwangers_und_covfefe said:

Thank God they lost. They'll just continue to get better and don't see many chances for teams to beat them moving forward. 

If Gonzaga gets through the next couple weeks they have a better chance to win out with that conference schedule. What a non conference they have. Arizona, Duke, Tennessee, and North Carolina before getting into the meat of their schedule in Pepperdine and BYU lol.

59 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Zags could have put this game on ice...have missed 3 free throws in a row.

EDIT: missed 4 in a row but blocked Barrett at the buzzer...could have easily been a foul called.

Yes Barrett did get hammered and no whistle. I was thinking of our game against Ark and the ref mysteriously called a foul on something that was ticky tack

1 minute ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Yes Barrett did get hammered and no whistle. I was thinking of our game against Ark and the ref mysteriously called a foul on something that was ticky tack

Barrett initiated the contact and the defenders stayed verticle. Barrett should have dropped that off after he drew the defenders. Two drives in a row he played Superman. Gotta trust your teammates..and surprising Reddish didn’t finish the game too. Gonzaga almost blew it but this is why I don’t see a one and done led team going undefeated. You either have to just have so much overwhelming talent or you need some upper class men to lead you in those close games.

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

Barrett initiated the contact and the defenders stayed verticle. Barrett should have dropped that off after he drew the defenders. Two drives in a row he played Superman. Gotta trust your teammates..and surprising Reddish didn’t finish the game too. Gonzaga almost blew it but this is why I don’t see a one and done led team going undefeated. You either have to just have so much overwhelming talent or you need some upper class men to lead you in those close games.

Guess I saw it differently.........

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Eh, I've seen that called both ways...Duke certainly did not get the benefit of the doubt there.

Both teams were pretty weak down the stretch after playing a great game.  At one point, Gonzaga missed 9 of 10.  Duke missed their last seven shots.  If these teams are among the best in college, this year should be wide open.

2 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Guess I saw it differently.........

Is that you Ted Valentine lol...cause he sure would have called that I’m sure lol. Imo when you drive to the basket the defender is entitled to his position and I like the verticality rule. I thought Gonzaga played that perfectly. Don’t get me wrong...being Duke I expected a call but I’m glad the officials saw it the same as I did.

3 minutes ago, Snozzwangers_und_covfefe said:

Not saying it is, but I just see them improving more and more. Outside of a game at Virginia or maybe at UNC, they should be pretty heavy favorites. 

I think they struggle at Virginia. Teams that control the pace and don’t let them get out in transition can beat them. Gonzaga for the most part took care of the ball and scored efficiently. Just don’t let Duke run...Kentucky likes to run too and their game plan just fed right into that...sloppy ball handling missing long jumpers running...recipe for disaster against Duke. Duke just killed UK at their own game.

Archived