Around the B1G/NCAA

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

That was over 30 years ago...before Pastner was almost born.

Scott your old! Don’t get me wrong I am getting there too but if Stephon Marberry was your last good team then that is a long time ago!!!

They have a more recent Championship Game appearance than IU. :coffee:

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Well actually I think Jarrett Jack played there too and I remember Dennis Scott...but it's been awhile since they were contending at the top of the ACC.

I don't know what year it was...but I heard this quite awhile back.  But there was a season where the Jackets had 3 players average 20+ ppg.  You mention Dennis Scott.  But Mark Price, Stephon Marbury, John Salley were big time players in the Cremins era.  I am guessing they were a powerhouse for 10 years under Bobby.  And I am sure I left a few names off there....oh wait...Jason Collier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

That was over 30 years ago...before Pastner was almost born.

Scott your old! Don’t get me wrong I am getting there too but if Stephon Marberry was your last good team then that is a long time ago!!!

I go back before Marberry because I remember Mark Price, John Sally and Tom Hammonds and Dalrymple  You then have the 90 final four team with Scott, Anderson and Oliver

56 minutes ago, rico said:

I don't know what year it was...but I heard this quite awhile back.  But there was a season where the Jackets had 3 players average 20+ ppg.  You mention Dennis Scott.  But Mark Price, Stephon Marbury, John Salley were big time players in the Cremins era.  I am guessing they were a powerhouse for 10 years under Bobby.  And I am sure I left a few names off there....oh wait...Jason Collier!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Craig "Noodle" Neal played during Cremins' heyday.  He was a grade ahead of me in high school at Washington and I think he wore the #4 jersey on the Indiana all-star team, which probably corresponded to where he finished in the Mr. Basketball voting.  6-4 and about 160 pounds back then is why he got the nickname "Noodle".  He only became "Noodles Neal" when some announcer at GT screwed up his nickname.  He was on some great teams...the Ramblin' Wreck had a lot of success in the '80's and as a result, as I recall, Craig was mostly a 6th man who had a pretty nice outside shot and his slithering drives to the basket were pretty effective because he was so thin and could get through some tight places in the defense.  I think he was mostly behind Mark Price as he was there 1984-1987.

...and for those of you who forgot/didn't put it together, Steve Alford was Mr. Basketball the same year Craig was on the all star team and Steve's dad Sam was from Washington so Steve and Craig knew each other well when they were young before Sam left for Newcastle.  They likely rekindled their friendship on the All-Star team, which led to them coaching together at New Mexico (where they should have stayed...)

2 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Craig "Noodle" Neal played during Cremins' heyday.  He was a grade ahead of me in high school at Washington and I think he wore the #4 jersey on the Indiana all-star team, which probably corresponded to where he finished in the Mr. Basketball voting.  6-4 and about 160 pounds back then is why he got the nickname "Noodle".  He only became "Noodles Neal" when some announcer at GT screwed up his nickname.  He was on some great teams...the Ramblin' Wreck had a lot of success in the '80's and as a result, as I recall, Craig was mostly a 6th man who had a pretty nice outside shot and his slithering drives to the basket were pretty effective because he was so thin and could get through some tight places in the defense.  I think he was mostly behind Mark Price as he was there 1984-1987.

...and for those of you who forgot/didn't put it together, Steve Alford was Mr. Basketball the same year Craig was on the all star team and Steve's dad Sam was from Washington so Steve and Craig knew each other well when they were young before Sam left for Newcastle.  They likely rekindled their friendship on the All-Star team, which led to them coaching together at New Mexico (where they should have stayed...)

Yeah, I remember that.  Good player.  GT also had another guard in that era by the name of Bruce Dalrymple.  I also think Salley and Yvon Joseph were on Neal's teams.

Wow...been an interesting trip down memory lane. Lol that’s what I love about this site everyone shares their basketball knowledge and few are condescending about it. They had some good success...but it’s been a long time....which makes it sadder that it’s been even longer for us...we need to get back!

Archived