Around the B1G/NCAA

24 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

That dawned on me this afternoon too.  I knew Bru was from that area, but didn't know he played at St. Joes.  His head coaching record isn't that bad either.  He's above .500 overall and in conference play. 

Selfishly, I'd hate to lose him. 

I guess... To be honest, and this isn’t meant as an insult at all, I’m not exactly sure what he brings to the table.  Is he a recruiting guru, X’s and O’s guy, or what?  

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
35 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I guess... To be honest, and this isn’t meant as an insult at all, I’m not exactly sure what he brings to the table.  Is he a recruiting guru, X’s and O’s guy, or what?  

It seemed like there were times when Bruiser was the one doing in-game coaching from the sideline. In particular, one game (Wisconsin?) where he would not get off the floor until the officials reviewed an out-of-bounds play that should have gone IU's way. He also seemed to spend a lot of time talking one-one-one with players who had just come out of the game. I'm not saying he's irreplaceable but he certainly brings something to the table that the rest of staff doesn't have COMBINED: two decades of Division 1 head coaching experience.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

I like Collins as a coach, but also wonder why he hasn't been able to finesse the Chicago market a little better.  Academic standards?  Just too much corruption?  I mean, they are definitely the home team there...

are they though? people in Chicago support NW? 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

are they though? people in Chicago support NW? 

Obviously not all of them, but if I'm a recruit wanting to stay close to home so grandma can go to my games, they've got to be a great option.  Is there a better D1 college basketball gig in Chicago?  DePaul, maybe, but I think Northwestern should be able to compete with them as long as academics aren't an issue.

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Obviously not all of them, but if I'm a recruit wanting to stay close to home so grandma can go to my games, they've got to be a great option.  Is there a better D1 college basketball gig in Chicago?  DePaul, maybe, but I think Northwestern should be able to compete with them as long as academics aren't an issue.

But none of those kids growing up take NW seriously as an option. 

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

But none of those kids growing up take NW seriously as an option. 

But they want to take them seriously. Now with newer facilities the kids who left for Nebraska, Iowa St, Illinois St, Wisconsin, Marquette....all might give the home town team a look. Goes without saying if you do get a degree from Northwestern....it will open up not just local but national doors too. I've said for years. When Illinois hired Groce I think most dodged a bullet. Collins at Illinois I think would have been dangerous. 

For anyone picking Syracuse in the first round in your bracket might want to change your mind.  I just saw that their starting PG Howard is suspended and he was coming off a game of 28 points against Duke.  What is real bad is he is a senior and to end your career like this is just ridiculous.

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

For anyone picking Syracuse in the first round in your bracket might want to change your mind.  I just saw that their starting PG Howard is suspended and he was coming off a game of 28 points against Duke.  What is real bad is he is a senior and to end your career like this is just ridiculous.

Wow.  Just wow.  Thanks for sharing.  Enough time for people to change their brackets.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Having class doesn’t win basketball games... That’s a huge upgrade for them, I’d be psyched if I was a Nebraska fan.

Not questioning the hire...just the method. Hope the AD had the decency to tell Miles about it rather than letting it leak out to him.

17 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Well the Big Ten is certainly going to be a b$%*$h. Lots of good coaches in this league. 

I welcome the challenge.  No point in having a cream-puff conference that will only inflate expectations, only to get pounded by a battle-hardened team in March. 

Archived