Around the B1G/NCAA

4 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I didn't mean to imply it was anything more than a distraction.  No doubt lots of kids make dumb mistakes at that age...I just see Hanner Perea potential every time I read stuff like this, although I hope it turns out to be something relatively trivial for all involved.  I was more than a little surprised he didn't even have a drivers license...that's troubling/puzzling as well.  Did he never get one or did he lose his license over prior bad behavior?

At any rate, regardless how trivial/serious this turns out to be, I am still glad it's UConn's problem rather than IU's.  I don't have any problem repeating that.  The fewer issues like this on your team, there better, says Captain Obvious.

Sorry I didn't mean to make it sound that what you said was bad either. Just this is probably not going to mess up much with their season or cause him to miss many games. He wasn't stealing/harming people. Just messed up and then got scared and tried to get away with it. I don't know his background but a lot of inner city kids don't have a drivers liscense etc. Mostly because they can't afford a car and two many people take public transportation in really large cities (not something popular in Indiana). Especially if a kid is spending every summer playing ball instead of taking drivers ed.

• Replies 6.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

I don't have the tweet from Jeff Goodman in front of me, but Purdue lost to Providence in a secret scrimmage.   

Won't read too much into the scrimmage game, but they lost a lot from their back court. Edwards obviously, but Cline played out of his mind last year and way above his prior performance. He hit so many big shots and really stretched defenses. They have a lot of size in the front court, but I think the back court is a big question mark.

42 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Won't read too much into the scrimmage game, but they lost a lot from their back court. Edwards obviously, but Cline played out of his mind last year and way above his prior performance. He hit so many big shots and really stretched defenses. They have a lot of size in the front court, but I think the back court is a big question mark.

I don’t read much into it either. I jus posted it for informational purposes. 

I noticed last year that ESPN stopped having the 24 hour marathon of college basketball on opening day of the college season.  It went from midnight of the opening day all the way until mid night the next day.  I liked that because if you stayed up late enough there were game son and when you woke up the next morning there were games.  Maybe they stopped having it because it was hard to find teams willing to start games at 2am or 6 am but the crowds were usually pretty good for those games.

51 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Any insights from @Stlboiler23? I'm being serious. I expect you guys to have one of the best front courts in the B1G but wondering where your shooting will come from with having one non-shooter in Eastern in it. I suspect your defense will be outstanding this year given how long you guys are. How did Newman look? Thanks.

Sure no problem. 

I do agree that I think our front court will definitely be our strength this year. Will be interesting to see how often we see Williams and Haarms on the court at the same time. Williams at the 4 would hurt a bit defensively (think like when we had Swanigan and he played the 4) but him and Haarms are 2 of our best 3 players so they’ll play a lot. I expect Haarms to have a breakout year. Losing Edwards and Cline will absolutely be an adjustment but I like some of the pieces we have. As of now, here would be the starters:

PG- Eastern

SG- Jahaad Proctor

SF- Sasha Stefanovich 

PF- Aaron Wheeler

C- Matt Haarms

I expect Wheeler, Stefanovich, Proctor, and Thompson to be the main guys from distance. Have heard a lot of good things about Isaiah Thompson and am excited to see what he can do. Newman it’s been a process. Seems like he’s behind the other freshmen but still likely his long-term potential. Agree that the defense should be really good. 

My prediction? 22-25 wins, 4th in the league, second round/S16 potential. 

5 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Sure no problem. 

I do agree that I think our front court will definitely be our strength this year. Will be interesting to see how often we see Williams and Haarms on the court at the same time. Williams at the 4 would hurt a bit defensively (think like when we had Swanigan and he played the 4) but him and Haarms are 2 of our best 3 players so they’ll play a lot. I expect Haarms to have a breakout year. Losing Edwards and Cline will absolutely be an adjustment but I like some of the pieces we have. As of now, here would be the starters:

PG- Eastern

SG- Jahaad Proctor

SF- Sasha Stefanovich 

PF- Aaron Wheeler

C- Matt Haarms

I expect Wheeler, Stefanovich, Proctor, and Thompson to be the main guys from distance. Have heard a lot of good things about Isaiah Thompson and am excited to see what he can do. Newman it’s been a process. Seems like he’s behind the other freshmen but still likely his long-term potential. Agree that the defense should be really good. 

My prediction? 22-25 wins, 4th in the league, second round/S16 potential. 

So I don't know a ton about Proctor...I know he was mostly a scorer at his last stop but wondered...who is the guy that pushes the ball up the court...penetrates and makes plays for other because while I like Eastern's defense and length...he isn't that sort of guard to be a playmaker for others. Wheeler and Williams and Haarms I think will be a great front line. Stefanovich is a good shooter but not sure I would put him on Cline's level...more like Eiforts if he was open he will make you pay. Definitely will be an inside out team. I just see you guys struggling to score without someone that makes plays for others...breaks the defense down (Edwards).

10 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So I don't know a ton about Proctor...I know he was mostly a scorer at his last stop but wondered...who is the guy that pushes the ball up the court...penetrates and makes plays for other because while I like Eastern's defense and length...he isn't that sort of guard to be a playmaker for others. Wheeler and Williams and Haarms I think will be a great front line. Stefanovich is a good shooter but not sure I would put him on Cline's level...more like Eiforts if he was open he will make you pay. Definitely will be an inside out team. I just see you guys struggling to score without someone that makes plays for others...breaks the defense down (Edwards).

The comparison I’ve heard for Proctor is Terone Johnson. A guy that is a bucket-getter. He won’t be counted on to be the main guy like he was before so it’ll be interesting to see how well he does.  I think Eastern can be that type of playmaker though. Maybe not to the same extent but I think he’ll have a really good year. Don’t agree re your comment on Sasha. I agree I wouldn’t put him on Cline’s level but I also wouldn’t compare him to Eifert. They didn’t run set plays for Eifert where he’d come off picks and stuff. They’ll do that for Sasha this year. He shot 41% from 3 last year. 

12 minutes ago, Stlboiler23 said:

The comparison I’ve heard for Proctor is Terone Johnson. A guy that is a bucket-getter. He won’t be counted on to be the main guy like he was before so it’ll be interesting to see how well he does.  I think Eastern can be that type of playmaker though. Maybe not to the same extent but I think he’ll have a really good year. Don’t agree re your comment on Sasha. I agree I wouldn’t put him on Cline’s level but I also wouldn’t compare him to Eifert. They didn’t run set plays for Eifert where he’d come off picks and stuff. They’ll do that for Sasha this year. He shot 41% from 3 last year. 

All I meant about Sasha is that from what I saw he had to really get squared up and a free look....ala Eifert in that when he is open he will make you pay. I didn't mean he would be stationary in the corner like Eifert. Cline could hit threes when covered...falling down...falling backwards...crazy off balance threes. Sasha I've not seen show he can do anything close to that. That's a big difference between bailing you out of a shot clock and making clutch threes deep in games when contested and when open. Sasha will burn you if open....contested...I'll need to see more evidence. Eastern I'm not sure can get into the lane and around quicker smaller guys that will be in his pocket. He won't have a shot to get people to get out of position on him. He will take smaller guys in the post and rebound. Hey...you know your team better. These are just my observations. I do think you are a tournament team...in the top half of the B1G. Tournament for teams like IU and PU this year will depend on matchups I think for us moving forward...neither of us would likely have a big seeding advantage.

14 minutes ago, dgambill said:

All I meant about Sasha is that from what I saw he had to really get squared up and a free look....ala Eifert in that when he is open he will make you pay. I didn't mean he would be stationary in the corner like Eifert. Cline could hit threes when covered...falling down...falling backwards...crazy off balance threes. Sasha I've not seen show he can do anything close to that. That's a big difference between bailing you out of a shot clock and making clutch threes deep in games when contested and when open. Sasha will burn you if open....contested...I'll need to see more evidence. Eastern I'm not sure can get into the lane and around quicker smaller guys that will be in his pocket. He won't have a shot to get people to get out of position on him. He will take smaller guys in the post and rebound. Hey...you know your team better. These are just my observations. I do think you are a tournament team...in the top half of the B1G. Tournament for teams like IU and PU this year will depend on matchups I think for us moving forward...neither of us would likely have a big seeding advantage.

Fair points. Sasha’s role was also significantly less important than it’ll be this year so that’ll be interesting to see as he moves into a bigger role. Eastern it’ll be interesting to see. I’m hoping to see some Mark Jackson-esque post-ups starting from beyond the 3 point line haha. 

1 hour ago, Wayward1 said:

I can see Proctor taking over PG duties in time and Eastern being moved to an off-the-ball position. He was a good get by Matt.

Proctor looks to be a savy vet...but I wouldn't say he has elite athleticism to get around his man and exploit a defense. Just as an example. Do I think Rob would have trouble keeping him in front of him? No...none. Do I think Proctor can exploit an out of position defense to get to the hoop or knock down shots....YES.

1 hour ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Fair points. Sasha’s role was also significantly less important than it’ll be this year so that’ll be interesting to see as he moves into a bigger role. Eastern it’ll be interesting to see. I’m hoping to see some Mark Jackson-esque post-ups starting from beyond the 3 point line haha. 

Sasha will be one of those guys you won't help off of. I look for Purdue to find ways to free him up and especially put him on post up side of the court to keep teams from doubling down on Williams and Haarms. I think I give more credit to Eastern than most on here...but I will say. Running the point I think he will struggle. I don't know why...and he is still a ways away from reaching this guy's level but he has always struck me as a Stacey Augmon type.

20 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Proctor looks to be a savy vet...but I wouldn't say he has elite athleticism to get around his man and exploit a defense. Just as an example. Do I think Rob would have trouble keeping him in front of him? No...none. Do I think Proctor can exploit an out of position defense to get to the hoop or knock down shots....YES.

Sasha will be one of those guys you won't help off of. I look for Purdue to find ways to free him up and especially put him on post up side of the court to keep teams from doubling down on Williams and Haarms. I think I give more credit to Eastern than most on here...but I will say. Running the point I think he will struggle. I don't know why...and he is still a ways away from reaching this guy's level but he has always struck me as a Stacey Augmon type.

Why will he struggle? He ran the point last year. At Purdue with the motion offense, the PG isn’t as vital as it is in other offenses. Just has to initiate the offense. 

Agree Proctor won’t blow by people but I think he’ll be able to use his size to body up some of the smaller PG’s. 

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

Why will he struggle? He ran the point last year. At Purdue with the motion offense, the PG isn’t as vital as it is in other offenses. Just has to initiate the offense. 

Agree Proctor won’t blow by people but I think he’ll be able to use his size to body up some of the smaller PG’s. 

Difference being Edwards broke down the defense...got teams out of position either helping on him out top and fighting over and hedging screens for Cline to give them no breathing room for those shots. Edwards regularly got into the lane to drop off passes and passed out for open shots. Eastern I don't see doing that. It's one thing to bring the ball up the floor and start a set...it's another thing to initiate offense for your teammates. That was my point.

I agree. Eastern brought the ball up the court, passed it to Edwards at the top of the key and went to the elbow to set a screen. Edwards drove the ball in and drew the defense to him. He was the ball handler. Eastern would then go under the basket for drop off passes and rebounds. He play like a power forward. Post up player, get rebounds. Dude's a forward.

45 minutes ago, Wayward1 said:

I agree. Eastern brought the ball up the court, passed it to Edwards at the top of the key and went to the elbow to set a screen. Edwards drove the ball in and drew the defense to him. He was the ball handler. Eastern would then go under the basket for drop off passes and rebounds. He play like a power forward. Post up player, get rebounds. Dude's a forward.

The guy’s a Swiss-army knife. He can do a little bit of everything (minus shooting). I think he’ll make a nice jump this year. 

2 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

The guy’s a Swiss-army knife. He can do a little bit of everything (minus shooting). I think he’ll make a nice jump this year. 

Hence why I thought if he worked hard he could be a Stacey Augmon type. That said I may be dating myself with that comparison to some.

Archived