Changing Paths

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

The more I think about it, the more I think Archie needs to take a look at Tony Bennett and Brad Underwood and really reevaluate his approach.  Bennett lost to a 16 seed in the tournament, overhauled his offense, and won a title the next year.  Underwood started 26-39 at Illinois, and last off-season decided to overhaul his entire offensive and defensive approach.  He’s on record saying that stupid pressure defense they played, with the constant fouling, was never going to work in the Big Ten.  He changed his approach, and now Illinois is in position to win the conference.

Watching our bigs constantly hedge and get burned on defense, and watching the same high pick and roll and telegraphed post feeds fail over and over on offense, is the definition of insanity.  Archie has next year to save his job, and he’s going to have largely the same team.  If he doesn’t change up his system, he’s doomed.

I would agree with this completely! The hedging is a big area I think that we should hedge less, but more importantly I think that we have to look at our offensive approach and our recruiting offense. I think Archie always our offense in the back of his mind and passes on great offensive players if they aren’t completely engaged in defense, but a lot of times it is easier to coach defense then it is to coach a kid to shoot

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, HoosierKix said:

Is it always on just stats? He has leadership that helps us a lot...MOST of the time. I put most in all caps because he has disappeared at times so how about a semi-stud? Close but just not there yet because he has made a big difference for us in quite a few games. If all our guys had the passion and fire as him I say we beat Maryland, Rutgers, and Penn State. Just my opinion though and hear your side also

I’m with you on the leadership. He may not be the most talented, but he competes. 

6 hours ago, DunkinDipo said:

I would love Beard as well. I just think we have a better shot at Pearl. I think he could win here fairly quickly too. I realize his age might be an issue but we need a quick fix here before it gets REALLY bad. If a quick fix is even possible anymore at this point. This is so very frustrating...

It is already bad after what I watched yesterday!! And agree FRUSTRATING

4 hours ago, CrimsonV said:

He has his place but definitely not a “stud” in his 4th year of college ball.

2EF4CD88-75E9-4C1D-B1CA-9A78108CABF8.jpeg

If you can't see where Joey has helped  us in the middle.  I should send an apology. But he gives us size and he plays hard. He may not be the most talented player but I see a young man that wanted to play at IU.!!!

6 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

The more I think about it, the more I think Archie needs to take a look at Tony Bennett and Brad Underwood and really reevaluate his approach.  Bennett lost to a 16 seed in the tournament, overhauled his offense, and won a title the next year.  Underwood started 26-39 at Illinois, and last off-season decided to overhaul his entire offensive and defensive approach.  He’s on record saying that stupid pressure defense they played, with the constant fouling, was never going to work in the Big Ten.  He changed his approach, and now Illinois is in position to win the conference.

Watching our bigs constantly hedge and get burned on defense, and watching the same high pick and roll and telegraphed post feeds fail over and over on offense, is the definition of insanity.  Archie has next year to save his job, and he’s going to have largely the same team.  If he doesn’t change up his system, he’s doomed.

This!

11 minutes ago, DireBump said:

Serious question. How does Joey still have another year of eligibility if this will be his 4th year playing? I'm glad we get him another year but I am confused.

He played in 7 games his freshman year but left the team to care for his father. The NCAA granted him another year.

2 hours ago, loviubb said:

If you can't see where Joey has helped  us in the middle.  I should send an apology. But he gives us size and he plays hard. He may not be the most talented player but I see a young man that wanted to play at IU.!!!

I posted this two posts before yours above.

CE3ED6C3-8AF3-4B0A-A590-AAB37F027FC0.jpeg

On 2/9/2020 at 2:29 PM, HoosierKix said:

We are literally 15-8 and currently sitting in the Tournament picture with winnable games ahead of us and you guys are just giving up and saying go hire Beard?? Like you realize this is why our fan base gets called crazy! First off no disrespect to anyone because if you look at my past posts I’m a very calm guy that just likes to add Input where I feel to! 

Second, I was extremely upset yesterday with the level of effort and execution!! Felt sick to my stomach yesterday it was so bad so I get the frustration but holy crap calling for his head is ridiculous!! Like literally he still has CTC players as the leaders and what are they doing they are playing like the crean guys did towards the end! You can lead a horse to water but it still has to be the one to drink!! Archie has been doing all he could and some of the guys just seem not to be getting it but like look at his guys he’s brought in!! Trayce is a beast, Joey is a stud, Armaan is going to be a great four year player, Jerome will be a great scorer, Race will be a solid role player for us, etc. like we have Wins over Florida St, Michigan St, and Ohio State all in the top 25 in the Net. Winnable games ahead of us! All good things as so many of the posters have said,  takes time!! Don’t be talking about hiring other guys when we literally are 15-8 and have winnable games ahead and in the tournament picture currently. 

Third, Archie has wonderful connections with the coaches in Indiana which Crean didn’t, and that is huge!! He has got the last two Mr. Basketball in Indiana and Leal has a chance to be the third with real options in the 21’ class! 

Again no disrespect but come on guys!! WE HAVE A WINNING RECORD and have seen that we can play well!! If we miss the tournament then fine bring out the pitch forks but we have games to play still! Think about last year and how well we finished the season maybe Archie can light that fire again! 

The record is very deceiving.  You have watched the games do you think we are a top 35 team? I dont. Big uphill fight to get there, it can happen but nothing that I have seen leads me to believe it will.  That is a sad reality 

Archived