IU - Purdue Post Game thread

So terribly disappointed in today.  How is it possible for a team to play such an uninspired game on such a epic day in IUBB history.  Words escape me.  The game was Never in doubt from tip.  There simply is no player I can say came to play today.  I believe they have managed to play themselves out of the NCAAT at this point.  The simply are no alpha males on this team.  I am so disgusted for the team and and the state of IUBB today.  I truly don''t think they deserve to put their uniforms back on after today.  CAM needs to apologize for today.

On the only positive note for today:

Excited and happy to see CMK but he obviously is very ill.  Needs our prayers for sure.  I am so thankful that he finally came back!  Welcome home coach!

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Hard Hat said:

Been on the Archie train from the beginning but today it turned very dark for me.  Once again, my favorite time of the year will not have my favorite team playing.  I am afraid it’s about to get ugly.  

Very, very ugly. It’s one thing to lose a tough fought game to a rival. Losing in the way we did? That’s the kind of stuff that gets a coach fired. Not saying I necessarily think it’s time for Archie, but this is a MAJOR step backwards. 

1 minute ago, GoshenFan84 said:

I feel exactly the same. Honestly, I put a lot of the blame on the players, but the head coach has to be held accountable. 

I agree. I feel like this is likely a 3/4 players issue and 1/4 coaching and the truth is it’ll be perceived flip flopped. But at the end of the day the buck stops...

Part of me thinks that the best thing to do at this juncture is to let it burn down to the ground and start over. There's just enough "allure" and support around the program to attract recruits who get the benefit of playing at a "name" program, but just don't understand what it means to play for IU. I think a lot of these guys come here for IU's "party school" reputation and think they'll get a decent education and maybe a shot at a pro league if the cards fall right. All the fancy locker rooms, Cook Halls, and national tv exposure still don't beat programs like Butler, who have to fix a leaky roof of a 90+ year old fieldhouse in the middle of a game. IU *isn't* the state's best program any longer, and that won't change by throwing money at it. It's a mentality. 

2 minutes ago, BenZIU said:

Thoughts on Archie not letting the players see what was going on at half time. I think I would have made them go set at half court for the whole thing. 

This!  For a team with no motivation, why in the hell would you turn off the TV’s and not even let them see anything going on.  He should have made them sit on the floor and watch.

Just now, GoshenFan84 said:

F**k 'em. You wanna spend halftime watching TV then don't play like dog crap most the 1st half. 

I think you mis-understand my point, I think he should have made them go and watch. Maybe it will register with them and get some effort. 

Been a fan for 45 years. I’m not going to make this appointment TV anymore this year. I’ll run the DVD if it’s seems like a good game. It’s either a great lack of D1 talent or a coach that has no clue how to coach in this league. I’m just really at a loss, but I know I’m tired of watching uninspired basketball and then the coach speak after

5 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

The last game was the first one in many years that I didn't watch ...on purpose. I had such high hopes for today's game.  I may take a break from watching games.  I have said this before but I may actually do it this time! ☹️☹️

I feel exactly the same. I used to watch IU as a form of entertainment. Now I just feel like a masochist. 

I might start watching again just to actively root for losses and laugh/enjoy the Devonte turnovers and Damezi air balled threes. A team this flawed, even with college ball taking a step back this year, is still not gonna go anywhere in any tournament. Let’s root for a complete bottom out—maybe it’ll lead to some change

3 minutes ago, HoosierLT said:

Look at our roster... we don’t have the talent we need yet. Everyone knew this season was going to have its ups and downs. Plenty of ball left to play.

More than talent problem here. This team couldn't give 2 @#$%'s. Thats the bigger issue and Archie can't get through to them, an even bigger problem.

Just now, Indykev said:

More than talent problem here. This team couldn't give 2 @#$%'s. Thats the bigger issue and Archie can't get through to them, an even bigger problem.

We need to bring Bruce back to Indiana.  I went to his camps as a kid and met him many times.  He would create a dynasty here.  Bank it.

5 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

So terribly disappointed in today.  How is it possible for a team to play such an uninspired game on such a epic day in IUBB history.  Words escape me.  The game was Never in doubt from tip.  There simply is no player I can say came to play today.  I believe they have managed to play themselves out of the NCAAT at this point.  The simply are no alpha males on this team.  I am so disgusted for the team and and the state of IUBB today.  I truly don''t think they deserve to put their uniforms back on after today.  CAM needs to apologize for today.

On the only positive note for today:

Excited and happy to see CMK but he obviously is very ill.  Needs our prayers for sure.  I am so thankful that he finally came back!  Welcome home coach!

The simply are no alpha males on this team

This right here. Each and every one of them act like this is an AAU game. Who cares if we win or lose there will be another game in a few hours? 

I'm really just sick and tired of watching this team. 

Eric Suhr said we need to try to get over this game emotionally and right the ship with the next one. I don’t think think this team has emotion to have to get over to begin with and that’s the most frustrating part. To play this way, and it be THIS game is so disappointing. I can’t figure out who is at fault. I’ve been rooting like heck for Archie, and like him, but the more losses and effort that stack up, it makes it harder and harder to defend. I really hope it’s just a matter of what I’ve thought all along, which is being rid of the players causing our most problems...but at the same time, it’s up to coach who plays, and he keeps letting stupid crap happen. 

8 minutes ago, Indykev said:

I agree.

We have enough talent when we play hard (ie three straight against MSU) but we have failed to show up in more games in the last 2 1/2 years than I remember in the previous 30 years.  I just don’t get it. Against PU, RMK coming back and they played lethargic?  Last year BTT tourney game against OSU to get into the NCAA tourney and we did not show up.  It’s happened over and over. Are the players to blame? Absolutely, but so is the leadership (coaches).  

23 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

For the first time this season, I have come to believe we will miss the tournament again. Not sure next year is much better either.  So sad. So frustrating. 

Yeah, this is the first time this season that, if the tournament started today, we wouldn't be in it. 

We have three top 100 recruits. I would think one in three guys ranked around 100 is ready to be a Big 10 starter by conference play. If that's the case and Hunter continues to progress, we will be much better a year from now. 

2 minutes ago, IUrocker said:

I really hope it’s just a matter of what I’ve thought all along, which is being rid of the players causing our most problems...but at the same time, it’s up to coach who plays, and he keeps letting stupid crap happen. 

I thought that for a while as well.  Problem is I don’t think that is it because Archie keeps playing them.  

6 minutes ago, BDB said:

What do you see in the team that gives you hope?

They are capable... turnovers and bad shooting are killing us. I know everyone says to bench the players that aren’t performing, but who’s going in to play? We have some good wins this year... like I said, a lot of season left. Get to 20 wins and we are in.

1 minute ago, AxnJxn said:

This is essentially the same team as last year, that completely fell apart. Do we really think they have the mental fortitude to recover from this? I know I don’t.

No, they don't. They're frontrunners. When shots are falling and the crowds cheering, they're great. When the going gets tough, they fold like a cheap suit. 

No heart. No emotion. Poor effort coaching and playing. I like Archie but I just don’t think his style translates to winning in the B1G. We are likely not going to win another game. While part of the blame has to go to the players, the buck stops with the coach. At this point with the roster as it is with the additions we have coming next season, Archie is a sitting duck with a new AD coming in. There is just no end in sight to this basketball hell we’ve been stuck in since 2000. 

Archived